Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also switched to 2 EVs this summer - in June, 2021 I had two ICE cars - Honda Odyssey and Lexus RX 350 F-Sport, sold both in June, and bought the BMW i3 Rex and Mustang Mach-E. Love them both, BMW i3 Rex used for daily commute for my wife (40 miles round trip), while the Mach-E is used for all long trips (out of state), and evening family rides.

We have only one car garage so made this simple charging setup for my cars.

We have solar (14.28kw/42 panels), and estimated generated is 16 MW for 12 months. Saving $200 in Electric bills and $300 in gas bills is a great feeling, and not to mention EVs are great rides.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also switched to 2 EVs this summer - in June, 2021 I had two ICE cars - Honda Odyssey and Lexus RX 350 F-Sport, sold both in June, and bought the BMW i3 Rex and Mustang Mach-E. Love them both, BMW i3 Rex used for daily commute for my wife (40 miles round trip), while the Mach-E is used for all long trips (out of state), and evening family rides.

We have only one car garage so made this simple charging setup for my cars.

We have solar (14.28kw/42 panels), and estimated generated is 16 MW for 12 months. Saving $200 in Electric bills and $300 in gas bills is a great feeling, and not to mention EVs are great rides.
That is awesome. Sadly I can’t get the finances to work to get me to solar.
As I understand it the Mini and I3 share the same drivetrain. Very happy so far.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
You can live with just one EV. We were used to planning trips from our days as full-time RVers. Driving the speed limit is relaxing.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium Standard Range RWD Shadow Black
34 Posts
I would consider going only electric if there was something like the Ford Flex or Explorer, with just a bit more range (350 maybe). Until that is available, I’m using the Mach-E to minimize the amount of gas I burn in my other car.

·
Registered
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
89 Posts
We pretty much live with two EV's - a Tesla and MME. They are used for everyday commutes to work as well as for long distance trips. We do also have an older model ICE vehicle that we have to remind ourselves to drive at least once weekly.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,580 Posts
Sure, I've been doing it since last Feb. and I make regular 730 mile round trips with just one EA/Walmart stop each way. I plan on selling the 1963 T'Bird Conv. since the MMe is more fun and draws more attention at 'Cars and Coffee' than the Bird.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure, I've been doing it since last Feb. and I make regular 730 mile round trips with just one EA/Walmart stop each way. I plan on selling the 1963 T'Bird Conv. since the MMe is more fun and draws more attention at 'Cars and Coffee' than the Bird.
View attachment 6575 View attachment 6576
The attention I get with the MME is almost unnerving. I have folks just walk up and take pictures. Met some Nice folks. As for the Mini, I get a wave from other Mini drivers.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,996 Posts
The attention I get with the MME is almost unnerving. I have folks just walk up and take pictures. Met some Nice folks. As for the Mini, I get a wave from other Mini drivers.
When I had my Austin Healey and before that a Singer Gazelle from Roots Motors, and when driving my friends British cars we all waved to each other.

We were all so glad to be on the road, rather than on the side, trying to fix the damn things to get them up and running once again!

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Living with only Electric cars – can it be done?

Not yet. When reliable fast charging stations are as plentiful as gas stations, then yes.
Sure it can be done for some/many but if it's referring to every household in the US then I would have to agree not yet.
However, for many, myself included the time is now and waiting for thousands of DCFC charging stations to be built, depending on ones age (I'm 74) eliminates EVs as an option. Keeping in mind that not every household is multi-car. Dealing in absolutes is often a tricky scenario. Once again in my case if I absolutely felt that an occasional drive to a location during certain seasons or with semi-adequate charging along the way was an issue I would rent a vehicle with what I'm saving not having to buy $4.00+ gasoline.
Please keep in mind that I am offering my thoughts based on actually owning an EV that I make regular trips with which require a DCFC stop(s). As I have stated in numerous posts that "what I post is what fits my circumstances" I try not to speculate on what may be "good" for others since I have no facts on others needs. IJMO/ICBW

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would consider going only electric if there was something like the Ford Flex or Explorer, with just a bit more range (350 maybe). Until that is available, I’m using the Mach-E to minimize the amount of gas I burn in my other car.
I think Mach E is going to be that car, it has a 98kw battery as opposed to Tesla Model Y's 75kw. I have over 3k miles on mine and now it consistantly shows that if I charge to 100% my range would be just a hair over 300 miles (301 to 307). AS others have reported on this forum after driving a few months the car learns how you drive (and combine that with future software updated) it can go around 350 miles. I am expecting that future Sw updated will increase efficiency of the car and increase the car's range to around 350 miles.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I think Mach E is going to be that car, it has a 98kw battery as opposed to Tesla Model Y's 75kw. I have over 3k miles on mine and now it consistantly shows that if I charge to 100% my range would be just a hair over 300 miles (301 to 307). AS others have reported on this forum after driving a few months the car learns how you drive (and combine that with future software updated) it can go around 350 miles. I am expecting that future Sw updated will increase efficiency of the car and increase the car's range to around 350 miles.
I am little confused: you have over 3K miles on your car and you say with 100% charge you are getting a range of 300 miles. Is that more than expected? Which model do you have?

350 miles would be an increase of 16%. That might be overly optimistic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am little confused: you have over 3K miles on your car and you say with 100% charge you are getting a range of 300 miles. Is that more than expected? Which model do you have?

I have extended battery AWD with factory range of 270 miles. Now I am consistently showing >300 miles if I charge to 100%. There are some discussion threads in this forum if you search people have posted pictures of their range estimate showing in 340 miles range (I don't remember what models they had).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

In the manual Ford says to charge at home regularly to 90%. To not go to 100% on a regular basis. It’s a little late but not quite the same as they recommend not charging past 80% at a DCFS charger. So I too am confused by your statement?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I have extended battery AWD with factory range of 270 miles. Now I am consistently showing >300 miles if I charge to 100%. There are some discussion threads in this forum if you search people have posted pictures of their range estimate showing in 340 miles range (I don't remember what models they had).
An increase from 270 to 350 would be an increase of nearly 30%. Doubt that will happen.

Out of curiosity: when you do charge to 100% and it shows 300 miles after driving 200 miles does it show 100 miles left or less?

Also see above about charging to 100% on a regular basis: From everything I have read, the recommended charge is 90% except when you go on a trip and want to start with a 100% - to have maximum range.

Of course with DC charges on the road, once you reach 80% the rate of charging falls precipitously: so it only makes sense to charge to 80%

·
Registered
18 Posts
An increase from 270 to 350 would be an increase of nearly 30%. Doubt that will happen.

Out of curiosity: when you do charge to 100% and it shows 300 miles after driving 200 miles does it show 100 miles left or less?

Also see above about charging to 100% on a regular basis: From everything I have read, the recommended charge is 90% except when you go on a trip and want to start with a 100% - to have maximum range.

Of course with DC charges on the road, once you reach 80% the rate of charging falls precipitously: so it only makes sense to charge to 80%
I follow the OEM instruction and DO NOT charge to 100%; I normally have 265-270 range when I have 85% charge. Factory range is 270, just simple extrapolration will put the 100% charged range over 300 miles. Also, if you check the status of the charge in Ford Pass app (while charging) it would show what the expected range is, if you were to charge to 100%. I have not followed the range that closely to monitor, if after driving 200 miles if I still have 100 miles left. As I do not drive a lot and it would take me a week to figure that out. I have had other electric cars and do not suffer from :range anxiety". When I take a longer trip I will try to get a better estimate if I am indeed getting 300 miles from a charge or not and report.

·
Registered
370 Posts

I charge to 85% normally and I figure my full charge range by dividing my indicated range at 85% by 0.85. That would give me 300 - 305 miles range at full charge. When I get to 50% charge, I have made mental notes of range being about 151. So it appears that the indicated range and % battery charge are linear. Who knows how much secret range Ford has locked away that they might open up in the future. We know they talked of ~98 kwh battery initially and then said 88 kwh usable so that is at least 11% locked out. Weight reduction, removing one of the 2 coolant pumps, removing one of the cooling loop bottles, and removal of the parking pawl, are all planned in future models according to their chief engineer. That's all that I have heard. She talked of 2022 improvements and further 2023 improvements.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Mustang Mach-E showed my that owning an electric car really .... well .... easy. As it happened we needed a another new car. Could we do 2 EV's. Wrote the following article based on that experience.

Living with only Electric cars – can it be done?
I think everyone should have one EV. But for higher usage and trips you need gas. It takes too long to charge and not enough miles. EV's need at least a 450 mile range. It should only take no more than 6 hours to charge at home. Right now it take 24 hours for a full charge. Also, what are they going to do with the old batteries. AOC probably has not thought of this yet.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
It should only take no more than 6 hours to charge at home. Right now it take 24 hours for a full charge.
Are you referring to a 120V L 1 charger taking 24 hrs.? I have charged from 12% in 9+ hours on my JB 40 level 2 home unit. Also on my 368 mile each way trips I have averaged one stop at approx. 25-30 mins including toilet a cold drink time. If you factor in that with an ICE vehicle it must start with a trip to a gas station the fill up and trip home and a second trip to a station and fill up I don't see a large difference in time spent "fueling"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts