Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've had my eye on the Mach-e for some time now, but hesitant about pulling the trigger. I have 145 mile daily commute, which equates to about 30,000 mi a year. While an electric car would help keep down fuel expenses, I'm worried about putting 100,000mi on it in 3 years. Is this a smart move? Would I be replacing the battery in 3-4 years? I want this car, but not sure it will hold up to the amount of miles I put on it. Anyone have experience with long distance driving (daily) with an EV? Is it reliable enough for my needs?

Thanks!

Tim

Registered
No experience, but opinions. 馃槑

If you can charge at home at cheap residential rates, then I think it's a PERFECT fit for your situation. Probably need the ER battery though, as 210 or 230 mile range can quickly fall below 150 when you account for safety buffer, highway speeds, cold weather, etc. Also, even with some battery degradation over time, the ER gives you extra to work with.

Battery degradation should be minimal over time. Especially in the Mach-e that builds in a large 11% reserve to protect the battery (most BEVs block off a smaller reserve). Plus the battery has a warranty (8 years I think). Just charge to maybe 80-90% most days, and you should be fine. And save a bundle in gas. Perfect scenario for a BEV that requires little maintenance and should hold up for 200,000+ miles.

Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
I have a similar but a bit less commute than you. I鈥檓 not worried after reading and researching a lot - from lots of other BEV owners. In a little less than 5 years I have had my Escape, I have put 152,000 miles on it commuting to work. I am tired of gas stations and so looking forward to coming home and just plugging in.

Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
My experience is only with hybrids, I can report after five years of a high daily commute and high annual mileage the vehicle still functions well. Climate extremes such as -30C are tolerated nicely. There is a little battery degradation but I'm more concerned with the durability of the internal combustion engine. Love the gas savings and an EV will add maintenance savings to this.

Registered
I have 145 mile daily commute
Dependent on your location, this may be between OK-ish and no go, and only on 300-mi version (EB RWD)
Things to keep in mind:
  • due to natural efficiency, EVs are very sensitive to added factors like driving style, outside temperature, wind, elevation change, tires, etc.;
  • max 90%-10% battery cycle is suggested for everyday use, it leaves you with 80% practical capacity right away;
  • below freezing point expect capacity dropping pretty rapidly due to natural temperature degradation and usage of battery heater;
  • EPA testing is done at 65 mph, if you plan driving 75-80, derate another 10-15%;
  • from any point of your trip I would highly suggest having at least 2 chargers within driveable distance, which may require additional reserve;
  • in a course of 3 yrs / 100K mi I would expect capacity degradation between 5..10%.
Given all that, realistic daily run distance is between 40%..60% of the rated number, on the new vehicle.

Super Moderator
For most of us, we will be getting our Mustang Mach-E鈥檚 at, or just before, the coldest part of the year.

We all need to get up to speed on the BEV best practices, and the MMe鈥檚 capabilities and limitations.

I have to keep reminding myself that the 270-mile range on my ER/AWD may be at-best 170 miles between charging stations in extreme weather conditions, possibly even lower.

I hope the 馃敆Mach-E Intelligent Range feature, and its future OTA update with expanded conditional awareness, will live up to its description. This would give us some peace-of-mind while taking longer trips.

Registered
Batteries will likely outlast your Mustang. Tesla has a 1 million mile battery and a Chinese batttery maker is contracting with automakers for a 1.25 million mile battery. You might wait a year - Ford will likely bump up the capacity of their batteries. 300 mile driving ranges are now considered
not the high end.

Registered
Tesla has a 1 million mile battery
Anybody seen it ?
Last time I've checked, the highest mileage Teslas had multiple battery replacements on record, with longest run of about 300K mi within quite compressed time frame.
Too many facts point out that their batteries are way worse than expected.
FMME is using different technology in collaboration with LG Chem which leaves some hope, but anyway longevity is not a strong side of EVs in a near future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts