Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve started researching adding a Level 2 charger while I wait for my Mach-E to arrive one day, and I’d love some advice.

There are a baffling number of brands out there and I’m sure most of them are perfectly OK, but I keep seeing Flo come up and I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience.

Here's what I'm thinking about.

If you've got one at home, has it been reliable? How was the install? What else have you noticed? I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
317 Posts
First, you need to specify you're in Canada. In the US, some utilities sell chargers at a discount, or provide rebates. No idea what Canada does.

I can tell you that in my 17 months of EV ownership, Flo chargers is almost never spoken about.

ChargePoint and JuiceBox are premium brands, intelligent EVSEs.

·
Registered
"Shadowfax" 2021 Star White Select AWD
145 Posts
I'm firmly in the camp that your charger needs no features whatsoever. Whatever features they have are pretty much redundant to what is built into your car. I have a basic siemens charger that I got when i had my volt. Works perfect.

Ok, after I typed that, I went on amazon to see if they still have my charger. I got mine for under $500, now they are charging $1,100. So now it is one of the more expensive one. My point is still there, even though my example is terrible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve started researching adding a Level 2 charger while I wait for my Mach-E to arrive one day, and I’d love some advice.

There are a baffling number of brands out there and I’m sure most of them are perfectly OK, but I keep seeing Flo come up and I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience.

If you've got one at home, has it been reliable? How was the install? What else have you noticed? I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!
I never bought a charger. I just installed a 240 outlet and use the charger that came with the car. I’ve never really figured out the benefit of using an after market charger. Seems like a needless expense. FWIW

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I never heard of Flo chargers but I can tell you that cable length was very important to my decision which charger to buy. I’ve had my Mach E for 7 months and so glad I went with the ChargePoint charger. It has a 23’ cable which allows me to charge my car in or outside of my garage. The app is pretty good too.
Hope this helps in your decision and the wait for the car was worth it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought this one, but I'm still waiting on the Mach-e, so I have not installed or used it yet. I liked it for its price, it can charge up to 12 kW, and it will tell me the cost to charge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never bought a charger. I just installed a 240 outlet and use the charger that came with the car. I’ve never really figured out the benefit of using an after market charger. Seems like a needless expense. FWIW
Same for me, although had a problem with the 240 adapter that FORD ultimately replaced as warranty issue; maybe some benefit to hardwired charger but subtle and IMHO not worth the additional cost…

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I have had a Siemens charger for over 10 years without any problems, but it does not communicate with the Ford App. I would recommend getting a charger that is Bluetooth enabled, as the Ford charger is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’ve started researching adding a Level 2 charger while I wait for my Mach-E to arrive one day, and I’d love some advice. There are a baffling number of brands out there and I’m sure most of them are perfectly OK, but I keep seeing Flo come up and I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience. Here's what I'm thinking about. If you've got one at home, has it been reliable? How was the install? What else have you noticed? I'm all ears! Thanks in advance!
Why not just use the Ford level 2 charger that comes with the car. It adds about 7% to the battery every hour

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like to keep a charger in the car.
Due to the likelyhood of a fire it is not good to plug/unplug a charger frequently.
That being said if you plan to plug in the charger you get and never unplug it, then that is fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have two EV's in the garage and find that one 'dumb' charger on a 240v outlet will easily service them both. I bought a more robust portable ($300-350 US) from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THBGGMG/) to suspend from the garage ceiling and allow me to keep the Ford portable charger in the car when traveling. (Also as a backup.) Unless a smart charger will also plug itself into the car, I don't see how it adds any value. You can control charging on Ford's App.

·
Registered
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
56 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I’ve got the WALLBOX charger and I love it. Very highly rated and I’ve had zero issues in my year of ownership. Compact, looks good, works great. Adjustable Amperage, can’t say enough good things about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like to keep a charger in the car.
Due to the likelyhood of a fire it is not good to plug/unplug a charger frequently.
That being said if you plan to plug in the charger you get and never unplug it, then that is fine.
I just bought a spare to keep in my trunk. Still makes it way cheaper. I have had zero issues using the charger that came with it.

Not entirely certain how unplugging a charger causes a fire.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Frequent usage will cause excessive socket wear and weaken the contacts - especially if it is a box-store socket instead of a commercial socket such as a Bryant. Heat happens at the weakest link of the chain.

·
Registered
512 Posts
For those that haven't already installed a 14-50 outlet, please consider that the GFCI breaker, wiring, decent quality outlet and labor is not a bargain compared to a hard-wired ESVE (internal GFCI), wiring and labor covered with all the available credits.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts