Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
318 Posts
For those that haven't already installed a 14-50 outlet, please consider that the GFCI breaker, wiring, decent quality outlet and labor is not a bargain compared to a hard-wired ESVE (internal GFCI), wiring and labor covered with all the available credits.
I'm not following, since all the credits are available whether you install an outlet or hardwire...

· Registered
10 Posts
For those that haven't already installed a 14-50 outlet, please consider that the GFCI breaker, wiring, decent quality outlet and labor is not a bargain compared to a hard-wired ESVE (internal GFCI), wiring and labor covered with all the available credits.
What are you talking about? The outlet, breaker, wiring and labor is the same as hard wiring an EVSE, but you don’t have to pay the extra hundreds of dollars for the EVSE itself. Hard to believe plugging in and out once a day (or less) is going to cause excessive wear to the point of failure. Maybe over years, or if something is pulling on the cable.

· Registered
16 Posts
I’ve started researching adding a Level 2 charger while I wait for my Mach-E to arrive one day, and I’d love some advice.

There are a baffling number of brands out there and I’m sure most of them are perfectly OK, but I keep seeing Flo come up and I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience.

Here's what I'm thinking about.

If you've got one at home, has it been reliable? How was the install? What else have you noticed? I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!
First check for deals with your local power co. Mine in Vermont provided a free level 2 Charge Point and a special off peak rate of .13 per kwh

· Registered
587 Posts
With the hard wired EVSE you give up the flexibility of swapping units should it fail and being able to use the Ford mobile charger. My JB 40 plug-in unit has a built in GFCI, so with a dedicated circuit I can use a standard breaker. I do agree that if you plan to plug/unplug frequently you need to install a higher quality receptacle. All my installation hardware was qualified for the IRS discount In 2021. It is also prudent to check the torque of the connections after a few years and monitor the connections and breaker periodically for heat buildup.

· Registered
67 Posts
I’ve started researching adding a Level 2 charger while I wait for my Mach-E to arrive one day, and I’d love some advice.

There are a baffling number of brands out there and I’m sure most of them are perfectly OK, but I keep seeing Flo come up and I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience.

If you've got one at home, has it been reliable? How was the install? What else have you noticed? I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
When I decided to go the 240v route, I had room in my breaker box.
I called an electrician and he installed the breaker and receptacle for $270.
I then bought an adapter from Amazon for $50.
I’ve been using this setup from day one.
I don’t see the need for any other device selling for $1,000 or over.
If someone can tell me any advantage to go to an expensive device, please advise.

Thanks in advance!
If you have room in your breaker box, call an electrician and have them install a 240v breaker and receptacle.
I bought an adapter from Amazon for $50 to go from the receptacle to the Ford cable. Total cost $320.
I don’t understand why you would need anything else.
If I am wrong, please advise.
Thank you.

· Registered
3 Posts
This charger is not UL listed and shouldn’t be recommended. If a $10 toaster can be UL listed then they could too. There are good reasons to purchase a new EVSE including faster charging, longer cable and the convenience of not having to unplug and stow it when traveling. I’m about to order the Grizzl E for the longer cable since I currently have to leave the garage door partially open when charging.

· Registered
8 Posts
I never bought a charger. I just installed a 240 outlet and use the charger that came with the car. I’ve never really figured out the benefit of using an after market charger. Seems like a needless expense. FWIW
I am still waiting for my Mach-e and thought I would start thinking about charging. So, if I install a 240 watt outlet, how long will charging take? And-if I install the Ford-connected station, is that faster?

· Registered
10 Posts
I am still waiting for my Mach-e and thought I would start thinking about charging. So, if I install a 240 watt outlet, how long will charging take? And-if I install the Ford-connected station, is that faster?
I’ve never measured how quickly it charges. I can tell you I come home from Dallas completely “empty” and it is full the next morning by 6am for work. Needless to say, the 240volt home outlet is plenty fast enough for me. The Ford charger might be slightly faster, but it absolutely is NOT worth the expense to me. There are some posts saying a hardwired charger might have less risk of malfunction and melting. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I haven’t had a problem in 8 months and 10,000 miles, but who knows?

· Registered
587 Posts
240 volt NEMA 14-50 receptacle on 50 amp circuit can charge at 40 amps max. A 40 amp charger will supply 9.4 to 9.6 kw per hr. So if your 91 kwh battery is down to 20%, it will take (91)x(0.8) = 72.8 kwh to fill it. 72.8/9.4 = approx 8 hrs to fill to 100%. The Ford connected charger (hard wired) charges 20% faster….not worth it for most people. There are a number of good EVSE units that sell for around $600 or less. You can always use the mobile Ford charger that would take about 13 hrs in the above example. There are threads on favorite EVSE charger unit.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts