Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a short video that demonstrates the capacity and dimensions of the Mustang Mach E. Enjoy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the video. My biggest concern regarding the mach-e is legroom. I am 6’4 with long legs, so I tend to have my seat farther back than shown on any promotional video which only ever show people of average height. I also have two kids that need to be able to sit comfortably in the backseat and one day they will be teenagers probably as tall as me.

I would gladly trade cargo space for more passenger space but the sloping rooflines of EVs don’t generally make that possible. I rode in a Tesla model 3 once and thought it much too cramped. I know this car is much larger than a model 3, but that is my general impression of past EVs... small and cramped for maximum aerodynamics.

i am hoping I will have a chance to just be able to sit in a Mach-e (don’t need to actually drive) to get a better feel of the dimensions for tall people.

I currently drive a 2010 Fusion which feels roomy with good headroom in the drivers seat, but the seat directly behind is quite limited with the drivers’ seat adjusted back. Not sure how the mach-e compares to the Fusion.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks for the video. My biggest concern regarding the mach-e is legroom. I am 6’4 with long legs, so I tend to have my seat farther back than shown on any promotional video which only ever show people of average height. I also have two kids that need to be able to sit comfortably in the backseat and one day they will be teenagers probably as tall as me.

I would gladly trade cargo space for more passenger space but the sloping rooflines of EVs don’t generally make that possible. I rode in a Tesla model 3 once and thought it much too cramped. I know this car is much larger than a model 3, but that is my general impression of past EVs... small and cramped for maximum aerodynamics.

i am hoping I will have a chance to just be able to sit in a Mach-e (don’t need to actually drive) to get a better feel of the dimensions for tall people.

I currently drive a 2010 Fusion which feels roomy with good headroom in the drivers seat, but the seat directly behind is quite limited with the drivers’ seat adjusted back. Not sure how the mach-e compares to the Fusion.
This might help you out, Automobile Magazine wrote a comparison article with the Model 3, Model Y and Mach-E and they touch on the difference in legroom.

Climb inside all three cars, and the story is much the same. The Mach-E offers 38.8 inches of front-seat headroom and 38.3 inches of rear-seat headroom; opting for the panoramic glass roof actually increases both dimensions slightly to 40.5 inches and 39.3 inches. Despite its lower roof height, the Model 3 offers similar headroom: 39.6 inches front and 37.7 inches rear with the standard roof, or 40.3 inches and 37.7 inches with the optional glass roof. The Model 3 seems better for long-legged drivers, considering its 42.7 inches of legroom up front versus the Mach-E's 41.7. Rear passengers, however, have more space in the Mustang, with 38.1 inches to the Model 3's 35.2 inches. Again, it's not yet known how the Model Y's interior space will compare, but we know it will be offered with a third-row seat, something the Mustang is not available with.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Fusion is almost exactly the same (front seats adjust forward and back so there is no reason to separate the front and back legroom numbers). It has 79.4 total leg room vs the mach-e’s 79.8. However, there is also the crossover vs sedan difference. If you are seated higher up, you don’t need as much legroom so maybe it is a bigger difference than the numbers suggest.

I can’t find interior specs for the model Y for a comparison to the mach-e’s direct competitor (beyond total cargo space, which is not helpful for determining passenger comfort; both have plenty of cargo space; way more than sedans). In theory, the model Y should have more legroom because the cargo space is larger And less beholden to “looking like a mustang” with the longer hood. This allows the Y’s cabin area to be larger with the same body length.

Another thing that worries me a little bit is the fact the glass roof doesn't extend to the back seat; it stops right before the head rest making it so that extra couple inches of cabin height doesn't benefit the people sitting in the second row. I saw a video of a tall reporter taking a test ride in the Mach-E and they hit their head against the plastic part of the roof because the glass didn't extend back far enough. He ended up having to awkwardly lean forward and wasn't comfortable. If Ford would have just extended the glass roof back another couple inches, that wouldn't be a problem. I think the Model Y, by comparison, does have the glass roof extend past the second row head rest. It is another detail I would want to look at in person to see if it might be an issue. In the video, they never show the people in the back row up close.

·
Registered
612 Posts
My Fusion is almost exactly the same (front seats adjust forward and back so there is no reason to separate the front and back legroom numbers). It has 79.4 total leg room vs the mach-e’s 79.8. However, there is also the crossover vs sedan difference. If you are seated higher up, you don’t need as much legroom so maybe it is a bigger difference than the numbers suggest.

I can’t find interior specs for the model Y for a comparison to the mach-e’s direct competitor (beyond total cargo space, which is not helpful for determining passenger comfort; both have plenty of cargo space; way more than sedans). In theory, the model Y should have more legroom because the cargo space is larger And less beholden to “looking like a mustang” with the longer hood. This allows the Y’s cabin area to be larger with the same body length.

Another thing that worries me a little bit is the fact the glass roof doesn't extend to the back seat; it stops right before the head rest making it so that extra couple inches of cabin height doesn't benefit the people sitting in the second row. I saw a video of a tall reporter taking a test ride in the Mach-E and they hit their head against the plastic part of the roof because the glass didn't extend back far enough. He ended up having to awkwardly lean forward and wasn't comfortable. If Ford would have just extended the glass roof back another couple inches, that wouldn't be a problem. I think the Model Y, by comparison, does have the glass roof extend past the second row head rest. It is another detail I would want to look at in person to see if it might be an issue. In the video, they never show the people in the back row up close.
I've been trying to find interior specs for the Model Y and I haven't found anything either. I'm surprised, usually Tesla fans get their hands on that kind of stuff pretty quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts