Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Chevy Volt, 2021 Mach-E Premium extended AWD
24 Posts
If anyone is looking for a car cover for their Mach-E, Ford is selling one that allows you to charge it while it's covered.

View attachment 3697
I saw this as well. I read something a while back that Ford did NOT recommend covering the Mach-E because a cover would restrict the front cooling vents/shutters that regulate the battery temperature as the car is charging. Apparently this is no longer a concern?

·
Super Moderator
1,886 Posts
I saw this as well. I read something a while back that Ford did NOT recommend covering the Mach-E because a cover would restrict the front cooling vents/shutters that regulate the battery temperature as the car is charging. Apparently this is no longer a concern?
Yes, the car cover in that photo needs either a grill cutout, or a mesh insert, over the intake area.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it has something to do with the material it's made of? The listing says "Breathable fabric allows moisture, condensation and heat to easily escape from under cover."

·
Super Moderator
1,886 Posts
It is a Ford product, sold on Fords site, and has a hatch to charge. So, I guess it would not void any warranty or overheat the batteries. Why would they sell it otherwise? Would they make such an oversight?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a Ford product, sold on Fords site, and has a hatch to charge. So, I guess it would not void any warranty or overheat the batteries. Why would they sell it otherwise? Would they make such an oversight?
It would create such a mess for them if this cover caused any issues to peoples Mach-Es.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Perhaps the cooling louvers only open during DC fast charge and not during Level 2 charging. Would anyone be stupid enough to cover the car during a DC fast charge session? Likely some cooling would be possible with normal convection air currents traveling vertically along the front/back side of the condenser/radiator? Just speculating in the absence of Ford guidance.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps the cooling louvers only open during DC fast charge and not during Level 2 charging. Would anyone be stupid enough to cover the car during a DC fast charge session? Likely some cooling would be possible with normal convection air currents traveling vertically along the front/back side of the condenser/radiator? Just speculating in the absence of Ford guidance.
DC charging a covered Mach-E is something you'd think people would have better sense in not doing. But I wouldn't be surprised if one person that didn't know better tries to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts