Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Autoline tested the Mach-E's range in cold weather and they found that range dropped around 26% when the temperature was near freezing.

Based on that figure the range for the Mach-E in cold weather would be:
  • Standard Range RWD - 170.2 miles (EPA 230 miles)
  • Extended Range RWD - 222 miles (EPA 300 miles)
  • Standard Range AWD - 156.1 miles (EPA 211 miles)
  • Extended Range AWD - 199.8 miles (EPA 270 miles)

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's pretty brutal. But not unexpected.

ICE engines also see reduced performance in the cold. Not to the same extent, but they do.

Can you pre-condition the battery? I think that should make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If our extended range AWD can get ~50% range in 10*F/-12*C in with the heat, heated seats + steering wheel, headlamps, accessories on, it'll be plenty for our use case.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,105 Posts
Autoline tested the Mach-E's range in cold weather and they found that range dropped around 26% when the temperature was near freezing.

• Extended Range RWD - 22 miles (EPA 300 miles)
Trying to squeeze out as much EV range on my PHEV, I precondition the interior while the vehicle is plugged in, in cold weather I used the heated seats and steering wheel in lieu of the heater when it's practical and 'Regen' whenever I am able. Not perfect but it helps. As an aside, my Fusion Energi drops from 21 miles @100% to 13-15 miles depending on the ambient temps.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I was hoping the Mach-E winter range drop wouldn't be as bad as the Bolt at 19%.

"Compared with the 102 MPGe we recorded in a 2017 Bolt in 56-degree weather (nearly ideal conditions), that's a 19 percent drop in fuel economy. Calculating the EV range based on battery capacity means a Bolt will travel 140 miles in the cold versus the 180 miles we recorded in the autumn."

To make things worse, 26% is far off from the average at 18.5%...

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,775 Posts

• Extended Range RWD - 222 miles (EPA 300 miles)
At highway speed expect a further loss of a minimum oF 10%.

I am now in Vermont skiing. My trip is 254 miles. My tank is 21 gallons and at 72 mph average I averaged 32 mpg. I have more than a half a tank left.

I cannot imagine making this trip in winter in any EV including the MME.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I am now in Vermont skiing. My trip is 254 miles. My tank is 21 gallons and at 72 mph average I averaged 32 mpg. I have more than a half a tank left.

That's true, I was doing a quick calculation based on the EPA numbers. Add onto that driving styles and it could be even lower.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I'm a bit perplexed regarding the issue of cold weather range loss. Maybe I have a 'leg up' because I have been driving a PHEV for almost three years and in the first year I was parking outside in an Oregon winter. Before I decided to 'Pony up' (get it) 50+ K on a vehicle I researched and understood that BEVs can lose considerable range in cold weather however I made the decision that I would simply plan to make extended trips in a modified manner allowing for the additional time necessary. While I'm not a big fan of the term "it is what it is" I believe that in this case it's apropos. My Caddy CTS V got between 8 and 10 MPG around town and had a highway range of around 185 miles. I knew that when I bought it and when it became an issue I traded it for something else. BEVs as they currently exist do not have the range of an ICE however like most everything in life it's a compromise which I believe is worthwhile. IJMO/ICBW

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Our VT trips are cancelled/on hold this year due to the quarantine requirement but we are up in central Vermont for several weekends each year. The charging infrastructure in rural Vermont is just not there yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If our extended range AWD can get ~50% range in 10*F/-12*C in with the heat, heated seats + steering wheel, headlamps, accessories on, it'll be plenty for our use case.
Heated seats and steering wheel use barely any energy. Cabin heating uses a lot. The trick is set the cabin heater to say 65F and keep the seats and wheel heating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's pretty brutal. But not unexpected.

ICE engines also see reduced performance in the cold. Not to the same extent, but they do.

Can you pre-condition the battery? I think that should make a huge difference.
Yes you can pre-condition the battery on the Mach-E. The Polestar 2 does not have this possibility yet (future OTA update will enable) and it's consumption is brutal on the first 10 miles or so in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Heated seats and steering wheel use barely any energy. Cabin heating uses a lot. The trick is set the cabin heater to say 65F and keep the seats and wheel heating.
No... I like my cabin at 72*F in the Winter. I ain't changing that because it's an EV.

Not trying to be a wiseass. I did the analysis. based on our use case (driving habits, places traveled to, etc...), we don't have to adjust how we use the car. AC in the Summer, heat in the Winter, accessories, lights, everything. We would not have purchased the MME otherwise. I ain't doing the "we like it but....".

Sure there are times where we might need to conserve range (forgot to plug in, took a long detour, etc) but for the most part it'll be used like any old car except for plugging in each night and no visits to the pump.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
No... I like my cabin at 72*F in the Winter. I ain't changing that because it's an EV.

Not trying to be a wiseass. I did the analysis. based on our use case (driving habits, places traveled to, etc...), we don't have to adjust how we use the car. AC in the Summer, heat in the Winter, accessories, lights, everything. We would not have purchased the MME otherwise. I ain't doing the "we like it but....".

Sure there are times where we might need to conserve range (forgot to plug in, took a long detour, etc) but for the most part it'll be used like any old car except for plugging in each night and no visits to the pump.
Agree, I know what the parameters are for BEVs and I accept them based on my driving needs. I have changed my driving style E.g. not being first to the next light utilizing Regen to slow down also, I've never been a 'warm air guy' so I use the wheel/seat heating but I'll be damned if I'll give up the Air Con in the Nevada summers to save range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All this discussion leads to the fact that SR battery is no Option at all. So you will have to always choose the Maximum available battery Size. Everything else will make no Sense or even no fun!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz B250e
39 Posts
...but I'll be damned if I'll give up the Air Con in the Nevada summers to save range.
Summer isn't the problem! :LOL:
You won´t loose much range with aircon: in actual BEVs the power consumption for cooling the cabin from 40°C (104°F) to 20°C (68°F) is roughly 1-2 kW, half than heating it up 20°C. Expect not more than 10% decrease in range (according to the 2015 Tesla range simulator for the Model S).

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Summer isn't the problem! :LOL:
You won´t loose much range with aircon: in actual BEVs the power consumption for cooling the cabin from 40°C (104°F) to 20°C (68°F) is roughly 1-2 kW, half than heating it up 20°C. Expect not more than 10% decrease in range (according to the 2015 Tesla range simulator for the Model S).
In Las Vegas, we don't take off our jackets until the temperature hovers around 50*C 🥵

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz B250e
39 Posts
All this discussion leads to the fact that SR battery is no Option at all. So you will have to always choose the Maximum available battery Size. Everything else will make no Sense or even no fun!
Don´t agree. Standard range is sufficient for most rides: 90% percent of the cars are used for not more than 40 km (25 miles) a day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All this discussion leads to the fact that SR battery is no Option at all.
Wait and see. Despite the rather cold temps in Germany right now, Winter is no beast in Germany. If I would live in Calgary or somewhere in the US rockies, where temps easily drop below -20 degrees Celsius - okay, thats a different story ... but German winters do not make me nervous. I am still confident with my SR order, the smaller battery has less weight, makes the MME a more efficient car in combination with RWD at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don´t agree. Standard range is sufficient for most rides: 90% percent of the cars are used for not more than 40 km (25 miles) a day.
For sure, 100% agreement. But:
You need to know that for the other 10% you are in bigger trouble. Or just need ways more time for traveling.
And At this Moment I Am steuggeling if i want to accept this or not.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts