Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd love to know that too, but that information has not been released. They haven't even released a towing capacity for the US.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ford's stated they're not releasing a trailer hitch option for the U.S. version of Mach-E. But they are for Europe, due to higher demand for it there (for bicycles, for instance). So I'd assume that in the U.S., you'd need to go to a third party for this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check out this video. The guy answering the questions is Darren Palmer, global director of battery electric vehicles for Ford.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ford's stated they're not releasing a trailer hitch option for the U.S. version of Mach-E. But they are for Europe, due to higher demand for it there (for bicycles, for instance). So I'd assume that in the U.S., you'd need to go to a third party for this.
Carrying bicycles make more sense then actual towing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, a hitch for hauling bikes is a definite use case. But I also want to tow my boat a quarter mile to the boat launch once at the beginning of summer and then retrieve it once in the fall. I've been doing that with my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV in full electric mode, which has a much smaller battery and less powerful motors than the Mach-E. Even if Ford isn't planning to make an OEM hitch available, I hope they don't say that the Mach-E cannot be used for towing in the US. That's what Chrsyler did with the Pacifica PHEV. They said if you want to be able to tow, you should buy the gas-only version instead of the plug-in.

I understand Ford saying that the target market for a Mustang may not want to tow. But the target market for an SUV?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If Ford offers the hitch in Europe, you could possibly buy all the parts from Ford to add the hitch yourself. We used to have a Highlander that didn't come with a hitch from the factory, but I bought all the parts from Toyota and added the factory hitch myself. The factory hitch was much better integrated with the bumper and looked a lot better than the aftermarket options. All you need is the internet and a torque wrench.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If Ford offers the hitch in Europe, you could possibly buy all the parts from Ford to add the hitch yourself.
Hitches in Europe are often quite different than in North America, so buying OEM European parts probably won’t be feasible. The weight distribution of trailers is also usually different in Europe, which is why the same vehicles often have higher towing capacities over there. I think our best bet will be to wait for an aftermarket hitch and hope that it doesn’t look terrible. Hopefully somebody will come out with a stealth hitch like this that fits.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put an Ecohitch on my 2017 Ford Cmax even though towing was not listed as an option for the vehicle. So I would bet the Mach E will have a third party hitch option. Don't get too stuck on the weight limits if you are only going a short distance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
EcoHitch web site now has an option for 2021 Ford Mach-E.

So it appears we shouldn't be concerned about availability of aftermarket hitch options.
That's a good sign that aftermarket companies are already thinking about hitches for the Mach-E. Of course, it will take them some time to design them after they get their hands on a Mach-E. After looking around, Stealth Hitches actually look like a better system than Ecohitch. Hopefully, they'll both be options shortly after the Mach-E is released.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Give it about 3-6 months or so after Mach-E deliveries happen for us to start seeing some good volume of aftermarket accessories.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts