Are all Mach-E coming with Borg Warner iDM

Tony
NJ
Yes and some come with 2 of them!

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
120 Posts
LG Chem. The first bunch of batteries (8,000 IIRC) come from Korea with the rest from the new plant in Poland.
LG Chem's plant in Wroclaw has been open since 2018, same plant that Mercedes-Benz EQC, Jaguar I-Pace, etc. cells come from.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LG Chem's plant in Wroclaw has been open since 2018, same plant that Mercedes-Benz EQC, Jaguar I-Pace, etc. cells come from.
Thanks
Crazy some of the recent news on how battery tech is progressing... one concern I have is if newer battery tech will lower the value of the current crop of EVs.... over time...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
BorgWarner doesn’t make the motor, they just add the different parts into their integrated housing.

I haven’t seen anything about the motor itself, whether its Ford built, or Ford designed and outsource built, or just a motor from a third-party supplier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BorgWarner doesn’t make the motor, they just add the different parts into their integrated housing.

I haven’t seen anything about the motor itself, whether its Ford built, or Ford designed and outsource built, or just a motor from a third-party supplier.
"The second core component can, for one thing, feature the company’s patented HVH, or high voltage hairpin, electric motor. With its innovative Figure 2. BorgWarner’s iDM is available in three scalable designs: iDM90, iDM120 and iDM160. connections between conductors, improving reliability and robustness."

Link to the article is here:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"The second core component can, for one thing, feature the company’s patented HVH, or high voltage hairpin, electric motor. With its innovative Figure 2. BorgWarner’s iDM is available in three scalable designs: iDM90, iDM120 and iDM160. connections between conductors, improving reliability and robustness."

Link to the article is here:
@MachDrive sounds like you may want to read the article.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
@MachDrive sounds like you may want to read the article.
I read the article. However, the iDM unit for the Mustang Mach-E is custom.

From Borg Warner press release.

“BorgWarner announced today it is building a power-packed Integrated Drive Module (iDM) for Ford’s new all-electric Mustang Mach-E SUV. The iDM comes complete with a BorgWarner thermal-management system and gearbox integrated with a motor and power electronics from other suppliers, and showcases the company’s system integration expertise.”

link here:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read the article. However, the iDM unit for the Mustang Mach-E is custom.

From Borg Warner press release.

“BorgWarner announced today it is building a power-packed Integrated Drive Module (iDM) for Ford’s new all-electric Mustang Mach-E SUV. The iDM comes complete with a BorgWarner thermal-management system and gearbox integrated with a motor and power electronics from other suppliers, and showcases the company’s system integration expertise.”

link here:
OK Thanks for the info. I guess it's still a mystery.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
OK Thanks for the info. I guess it's still a mystery.
I have been looking for this info since the MMe was announced over a year ago, its the only reason I spotted this in the press release.
Please share when you find anything out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
321 Posts
Thanks
Crazy some of the recent news on how battery tech is progressing... one concern I have is if newer battery tech will lower the value of the current crop of EVs.... over time...
Designers really need to make it easy to swap out a battery given the pace of change in battery technology

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Designers really need to make it easy to swap out a battery given the pace of change in battery technology
You may find this interesting:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts