Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for insurance when mach e starts delivering. this is my first electric vehicle. Not sure about insurance costs

·
Registered
357 Posts
Any suggestions for insurance when mach e starts delivering. this is my first electric vehicle. Not sure about insurance costs
Just like with other cars, it pays to call around and get quotes. I plan to do that shortly after getting the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
Just like with other cars, it pays to call around and get quotes. I plan to do that shortly after getting the car.
Ford says they have a ‘competitive’ insurance plan. It offers discounts based on your driving habits if you voluntarily agree to have your sync system upload driving data to Ford for a certain period of time (Speed, acceleration, trip length/time, breaking habits, etc.) it also says you are always guaranteed OEM parts for repairs, unlike other insurance carriers.
You should add it to your list while shopping around.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
698 Posts
Ford says they have a ‘competitive’ insurance plan. It offers discounts based on your driving habits if you voluntarily agree to have your sync system upload driving data to Ford for a certain period of time (Speed, acceleration, trip length/time, breaking habits, etc.)

This is nothing new: State Farm has had it for years: there are privacy problems and "who actually drives at the speed limit"?

You will be faced with a choice: keeping up traffic on the interstate doing 70/75 mph in a 65 mph zone and having your insurance rate go up because of "excessive vehicle speed" or going the speed limit and possibly being rear ended.

State Farm does this by sending you a gadget, do not know if it is a transponder, GPS, or whatever that you attach to your windshield.

Personally I do not want "Big Brother" knowing where I am going, the route I am taking or the speed I am going.

OEM parts: as I lease, if I have an accident I always insist on OEM parts so at lease return I do not have any problems. Sometimes the insurance company fights, but when I explain to them that if they do not use OEM parts, I want it in writing that any claim for not using OEM parts will be their responsibility, they agree immediately to use OEM parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
This is nothing new: State Farm has had it for years: there are privacy problems and "who actually drives at the speed limit"?

You will be faced with a choice: keeping up traffic on the interstate doing 70/75 mph in a 65 mph zone and having your insurance rate go up because of "excessive vehicle speed" or going the speed limit and possibly being rear ended.

State Farm does this by sending you a gadget, do not know if it is a transponder, GPS, or whatever that you attach to your windshield.

Personally I do not want "Big Brother" knowing where I am going, the route I am taking or the speed I am going.

OEM parts: as I lease, if I have an accident I always insist on OEM parts so at lease return I do not have any problems. Sometimes the insurance company fights, but when I explain to them that if they do not use OEM parts, I want it in writing that any claim for not using OEM parts will be their responsibility, they agree immediately to use OEM parts.

Same for me, any major Interstate or thruway around me in northern NJ is almost impossible to drive at speed-limit with the usual flow of the traffic.
I Just put it out there as an FYI option for research and comparison. It may fit some peoples lifestyle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool. probably same as tesla offering insurance. need to see how it works with umbrella insurance as having everything under one company is less risky ?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have my umbrella and auto from the same company along with my homeowners and jewelry.

My experience, others may have had a different one, is that the more one company has, the more important you are to the company and by linking policies discounts on premiums are available and added together you get a better rate than splitting policies with different companies.

With regard to umbrellas: you are able to take lower limits, which lowers your rates, as the umbrella picks up when the limits of the auto policy is met. So instead or $250,000/500,000 I am able to have $100,000/300,000 and everything above that is covered by my umbrella.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
If you don't want to "blind call" check Consumer Reports to see if they have recently rated companies. They generally go beyond rates and include customer satisfaction with claims

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
210 Posts
Yeah, when I am on my way to work at 5:30 am you either go 80 on the highway or get run over. No driving with big brother for me. Same on the way home at 5.

·
Registered
236 Posts

I just signed up for this program. The dongle links via Bluetooth to a phone app and I just put it in the glove box. It rates you on Acceleration, Braking, Cornering, Speeding, and Phone Use. It says phone use is not part of the discount calculation -- could always be a passenger using the phone. Also, according to info on their website, speed rating is based on over 8 miles per hour and "discount calculation doesn’t compare your speed with posted speed limits".

I'm not for or against the program, just providing some information.

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
I just signed up for this program. The dongle links via Bluetooth to a phone app and I just put it in the glove box. It rates you on Acceleration, Braking, Cornering, Speeding, and Phone Use. It says phone use is not part of the discount calculation -- could always be a passenger using the phone. Also, according to info on their website, speed rating is based on over 8 miles per hour and "discount calculation doesn’t compare your speed with posted speed limits".

A friend who uses a similar use-discount plan, says you can delete trips recorded by the app in the event you were in an Uber, cab, bus, train, etc. there is no device connected to her car, just an app on the phone.

i tend to drive safely, and speed rarely (most of the time its rush-hour traffic or local trips). A rate discount plan based on performance may work for me. I have to start really watching my habits while I wait for the Mach-E to show up. Whatever discount they offer would have to exceed the one i get from bundling policies.

On the other hand, this is the Mach-E. Would my habits change with what I’m driving?

·
Registered
698 Posts
When of the joys is driving where I want, when I want and at the speed I want.

Unless the savings on insurance are huge, 50%, which I am sure they are not, I am not interested in changing my driving habits to save a few bucks on insurance.

Yes this is from the person who says he will not spend $200/300 a month extra for the MachE over the Model Y.

Each of us spends our money the way we want to.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
A friend who uses a similar use-discount plan, says you can delete trips recorded by the app in the event you were in an Uber, cab, bus, train, etc. there is no device connected to her car, just an app on the phone.

i tend to drive safely, and speed rarely (most of the time its rush-hour traffic or local trips). A rate discount plan based on performance may work for me. I have to start really watching my habits while I wait for the Mach-E to show up. Whatever discount they offer would have to exceed the one i get from bundling policies.

On the other hand, this is the Mach-E. Would my habits change with what I’m driving

On the other hand, this is the Mach-E. Would my habits change with what I’m driving?
It will be an interesting study for me in a EV. As I posted before when I was driving the 0-60 in 3.9 rockets I drove the vehicle. When I got the PHEV my style of driving changed radically. I allowed Ford to supply me with a computer port (never can remember the acronym) plug in and a phone as part of the Big Data Drive. I've been feeding real time data to Ford for over two years via an app on their phone. What works for me isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
991 Posts

I've had one of these from Allstate plugged into the OBD-II port in my Tacoma for seven years now. Based on my driving Allstate has issued me multiple discounts. There's a phone app that you can monitor your driving-based discounts. They call it the Drivewise program. It's interesting that they didn't ask us to install one in our Prius or Leaf. Not sure if they are so modern Allstate pulls the info without the little device or if they assume as hybrids/BEVs we'll drive so conservatively they won't bother. Hopefully they'll think the same way about the Mach E because I might mess up the discount in that one ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had one of these from Allstate plugged into the OBD-II port in my Tacoma for seven years now. Based on my driving Allstate has issued me multiple discounts. There's a phone app that you can monitor your driving-based discounts. They call it the Drivewise program. It's interesting that they didn't ask us to install one in our Prius or Leaf. Not sure if they are so modern Allstate pulls the info without the little device or if they assume as hybrids/BEVs we'll drive so conservatively they won't bother. Hopefully they'll think the same way about the Mach E because I might mess up the discount in that one ;)
I wonder if the Mach E will have a OBD-2 port. The model 3 does not have one since it is all electric.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts