21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
867 Posts
Found in MachE Owners manual just now:

SETTING THE LIFTGATE OPENING HEIGHT

1. Open the liftgate.

1. Stop the liftgate movement by pressing the control button on the liftgate when it reaches the desired height.
Note: Once the liftgate stops moving, you can manually move it to the desired height.
  1. Press and hold the control button on the liftgate until a tone sounds, indicating programming is complete.
Note: You can only use the liftgate control button to program the height.
Note: You cannot program the height if the liftgate position is too low.
  1. The power liftgate now opens at the programmed height. To change the programmed height, repeat the steps.
Note: You can fully open the liftgate by manually pushing it upward to the maximum open position if it opens in a lower position.
Note: The system recalls the new programmed height until you reprogram it, even if you disconnect the battery.
Thanks!

I am sure you are correct. That is the way the liftgate works on my Edge.

Maybe I should have been more clear: As the roof of the MME slopes (Ford rep said to improve aerodynamics) the liftgate where positioned is not at the high point of the roof. So even in the highest up position the liftgate is still low on the roof line. In a normal SUV, when the liftgate is up, you can almost stack to the ceiling. In the MME that is not possible.

On the Tesla the hinge for liftgate is further into the roof. When the liftgate is up all the way, you can load to the ceiling.

The distance from the floor of the Tesla to the hinge of the liftgate is longer than the floor to the hinge on the MME - the opening on Model Y is taller - bigger than the opening on the MME. What that means is that a bigger box, etc. can be fitted into the Model Y than the MME. The opening of the Model Y is more like the opening of a SUV or a minivan. The opening of the MME is more like a hatchback.

Hope you can follow me!

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
867 Posts
Pics I took. I would consider this a high tailgate.

View attachment 3165 View attachment 3166
Exactly correct!

From the side you will notice that the hinge for the liftgate is rather low on the roof.

Again looking at the side picture, if the liftgate hinge was moved up the roofline towards the front so as to split the triangular rear window, the opening in the rear would be higher and bigger.

That is why I said it is more like a hatchback than a SUV/minivan.

As I am over 6 feet, the hinge is below my eye level sight. In my Edge, my eyelevel sees into the SUV.

By being low on the roof, the actual height of the opening is less than in the Model Y where the hinge is higher, forward on the roofline.

BTW, this is the MME I saw today on Long Island.

Beautiful car!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts