Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford has entirely revamped the way sales will go down with the Mach-E. If you have a reservation, you'll receive an email with access to this dashboard sometime late November/early December. This process will allow consumers to skip the dealership entirely. The Mach-E isn't just an EV, it's the beginning of a new chapter.

LINK

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ford has entirely revamped the way sales will go down with the Mach-E. If you have a reservation, you'll receive an email with access to this dashboard sometime late November/early December. This process will allow consumers to skip the dealership entirely. The Mach-E isn't just an EV, it's the beginning of a new chapter.

LINK
WOW this is major. I wish Ford would have started with this, but this system looks legit. Im excited to complete this purchase with it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
This is amazing

"The online experience will allow consumers to entirely structure their deals on their own including adding public/private incentives, instant trade-in values, as well as transaction taxes/fees and special programs like Ford Protect (extended warranties) and all other F&I offers (including 3rd party)."

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
This is excellent news.

The whole online reservation and ordering system initially experienced was lacking. However, after this announcement I am excited to see it encompassing the entire process.

I hope they adopt it for the Bronco as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does this affect people who have already placed orders? I had to select a dealership before I placed the order.
Doesn't change a thing. You'll receive an email sending you to the online portal where your account will already be linked with your VIN. You'll fill out financing and payment there then pick up your vehicle. If you opt for the more traditional route, you'll be able to contact or go to the dealership at any moment within the online process.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Doesn't change a thing. You'll receive an email sending you to the online portal where your account will already be linked with your VIN. You'll fill out financing and payment there then pick up your vehicle. If you opt for the more traditional route, you'll be able to contact or go to the dealership at any moment within the online process.
Perfect for me.

1. The only Ford dealer in this rock doesn’t have a stellar sales reputation.

2. They’re in a city with 95% of the COVID cases on the island and it’s not getting better. The less I have to go there, the better.

I think this is a great idea.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Perfect for me.

1. The only Ford dealer in this rock doesn’t have a stellar sales reputation.

2. They’re in a city with 95% of the COVID cases on the island and it’s not getting better. The less I have to go there, the better.

I think this is a great idea.
I think many people will feel the same.

side note: Will you end up paying extra freight like you were thinking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This sounds great as long as I don’t have to pay a delivery fee. I don’t know how the maintenance thing would work with not having a dealer I bought the car from. Interesting times

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
564 Posts
This sounds great as long as I don’t have to pay a delivery fee. I don’t know how the maintenance thing would work with not having a dealer I bought the car from. Interesting times
With regards to maintenance: I have owned the following cars and have gone to different dealerships for both maintenance and warranty work without any problem. I cannot see any reason why, assuming the Ford dealership is authorized to work on the MachE, the MachE will be different:

• Toyota
  • Audi
  • Porsche
  • BMW
  • Mercedes
  • Chevrolet
and finally my Ford Edge Sport.

Sales are no longer where dealers make their money: prices are extremely competitive. Maintenance and warranty work are now the profit centers for dealers.

Going forward with BEV, this will be a real problem for dealerships as BEV will need far less work than ICE.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
90 Posts
Unlike yourself, I have had problems trying to get maintenance and warranty work done at dealerships where I did not purchase my vehicle. In all cases, the offending company was Chrysler. As you can imagine, they no longer are a purchase option for me when looking for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think many people will feel the same.

side note: Will you end up paying extra freight like you were thinking?
The way the order went with the only dealer here was a bit roundabout. At the time orders opened up there was an interisland embargo on personal (non-corporate) car shipments by the interisland barge company That eliminated the 3 dealers in Honolulu County (Oahu) from consideration, one of whom I knew for a fact was doing X-Plan pricing. That meant to deal with the local people or buy on the mainland and pay $1500 for Matson to ship it to Hawaii county (using the same interisland barge company I couldn't use from Honolulu), that cost is about $1500 dollars on average (on top of the fee all car manufacturers charge to get the car to the dealer). That meant a mainland price had to be $2000 dollars lower than the Hawaii island dealer price if you include airfare. The local dealer was charging an adm of $1000. I was deciding whether to walk away or buy (local company, local employees, 30% unemployment etc) while debating how badly I wanted the car when an acquaintance on Oahu with the same general issues had (unbeknownst to me) written one of the Vice-Presidents of Ford and also mentioned my name along with a couple of his friend's names. Within 2 hours the General manager of the local dealer was on the phone with me and the issue was resolved. I actually had no clue what he was talking about as I hadn't yet talked with the friend on Oahu about his email.

With that said, the local dealer does not have a stellar reputation, they're aware of that btw and seem to want to change it. I'm skeptical, but I honestly hope they do. I'd still have preferred to never have dealt with any dealer and really like the Dashboard concept I see here. I generally like the idea of a maintenance center for cars with a small internet sales and delivery office rather than a full sales department. They would handle the paperwork and facilitate delivery from the manufacturer but not maintain a lot full of cars for sale. Perhaps a few cars that sell well locally for test drives but that's it literally. Buy online.

But that's just me, others like the dealer experience. My father certainly did, he genuinely enjoyed haggling a deal and bought his last car in his mid 80's and had fun with it (he's 92 now and no longer drives). My wife and I despise the dealership buying experience although we've done very well with it. This is better -- for me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Unlike yourself, I have had problems trying to get maintenance and warranty work done at dealerships where I did not purchase my vehicle. In all cases, the offending company was Chrysler. As you can imagine, they no longer are a purchase option for me when looking for a new vehicle.
Funny story now, but my wife and I bought a Dodge conversion van in the 90's and one day the thing overheated when my wife was driving it. Dodge told her to take it to the nearest dealer to where she was in cherry hill NJ (not the on we bought it from in Burlington NJ). They ended up fixing the thermostat under warranty, but left a rag in the block that got chewed up and sucked into the oil pump. Needless to say the engine once again had an issue, and Cherry Hill dodge were such assholes to her she broke down in tears. They tried to tell her that the rag wasn't left in the block by them, and for all they knew she did it. She immediately called the dealer that sold it to her in burlington (25 miles away), and they paid to tow the thing. They replaced the upper block and a bunch of other stuff, paid for by dodge corporate who then got paid back from cherry hill dodge.

Every car my wife has had since has come from that dealer in Burlington NJ, who oddly enough goes by the name "dodge city".

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
The way the order went with the only dealer here was a bit roundabout. At the time orders opened up there was an interisland embargo on personal (non-corporate) car shipments by the interisland barge company That eliminated the 3 dealers in Honolulu County (Oahu) from consideration, one of whom I knew for a fact was doing X-Plan pricing. That meant to deal with the local people or buy on the mainland and pay $1500 for Matson to ship it to Hawaii county (using the same interisland barge company I couldn't use from Honolulu), that cost is about $1500 dollars on average (on top of the fee all car manufacturers charge to get the car to the dealer). That meant a mainland price had to be $2000 dollars lower than the Hawaii island dealer price if you include airfare. The local dealer was charging an adm of $1000. I was deciding whether to walk away or buy (local company, local employees, 30% unemployment etc) while debating how badly I wanted the car when an acquaintance on Oahu with the same general issues had (unbeknownst to me) written one of the Vice-Presidents of Ford and also mentioned my name along with a couple of his friend's names. Within 2 hours the General manager of the local dealer was on the phone with me and the issue was resolved. I actually had no clue what he was talking about as I hadn't yet talked with the friend on Oahu about his email.

With that said, the local dealer does not have a stellar reputation, they're aware of that btw and seem to want to change it. I'm skeptical, but I honestly hope they do. I'd still have preferred to never have dealt with any dealer and really like the Dashboard concept I see here. I generally like the idea of a maintenance center for cars with a small internet sales and delivery office rather than a full sales department. They would handle the paperwork and facilitate delivery from the manufacturer but not maintain a lot full of cars for sale. Perhaps a few cars that sell well locally for test drives but that's it literally. Buy online.

But that's just me, others like the dealer experience. My father certainly did, he genuinely enjoyed haggling a deal and bought his last car in his mid 80's and had fun with it (he's 92 now and no longer drives). My wife and I despise the dealership buying experience although we've done very well with it. This is better -- for me.
Deal with Ford directly to see if you can get the order switched to a dealer on your island. Save some shipping costs, maybe get a better dealer in the process. send Ford Motor Company a DM on Twitter for guidance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is very interesting and will hopefully feed my constant obsessive need for more information. That said, I really like the dealership group I ordered through so I'm ambivalent about skipping the dealer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Deal with Ford directly to see if you can get the order switched to a dealer on your island. Save some shipping costs, maybe get a better dealer in the process. send Ford Motor Company a DM on Twitter for guidance.
All done.

I'm with the local dealer here (there's only 1 on the island) and the price worked out, in the end, to be as good as I could've gotten anywhere else even excluding airfare and shipping. They're responsive although not always very knowledgeable about the MME. I'm about to drop them a note about the "interior protection" package I forgot to order. As well as a couple of minor things to confirm with them (no badging, though I'm "fairly" certain they don't do that), no state safety inspection sticker on the rear bumper (there are license frame holders available for that), and arrangements for which of the two showrooms to pick up at (if I go that route). Their main showroom and MX facility is in Hilo, the more modern facility is in Kona. Hilo is closer but Hilo is also the center of all the COVID-19 explosion on this island (It is Hawaii's second-largest city) so there's that.

Right now I'm very definitely leaning to bypassing the dealer altogether as much as possible anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
we might need to start a seperate thread about these protection plans and figure out which one would be the best one to choose.
Im leaning on the side of getting the most coverage as its my first EV and more importantly its fords first BEV lol.
But also dont want to incerease my monthly payments for something that may not even be needed (i can be convinced very easily unfortunately)

·
Registered
45 Posts
we might need to start a seperate thread about these protection plans and figure out which one would be the best one to choose.
Im leaning on the side of getting the most coverage as its my first EV and more importantly its fords first BEV lol.
But also dont want to incerease my monthly payments for something that may not even be needed (i can be convinced very easily unfortunately)
I agree. I plan on getting extended warranty plans as well. Luckily if theres an issue because of Fords craftsmanship, there’d be a recall free of charge.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
564 Posts
I agree. I plan on getting extended warranty plans as well. Luckily if theres an issue because of Fords craftsmanship, there’d be a recall free of charge.

The simplest solution is to lease: at the end of lease if everything is OK and you love the car, just buy it.

If you have had problems, or the MachE does not meet your expectations at the end just turn it in.

You financial exposure with a lease with be a fraction of what it would be if purchase.

To be clear I am talking about a real lease not the Ford Option Plan which is nothing more than a deferred payment plan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts