Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,161 Posts
Green Car Reports has posted a real-world range test of the Mach E Premium 4X. Their results match the expected EPA rating. For highway driving, they report a range of 219 miles.

Range Test

Confirms what most of us suspected:

• The 270 mile range is the maximum range which is combination of highway and local driving with regenerative braking adding back mileage and highway speed at 50 mph.
From the max range of 270 subtract:

• For interstate driving subtract 10% to 12%
  • For A/C, heated seats, heated steering wheel, windshield wipers subtract another 5%
  • For Winter driving below freezing subtract 25% to 30%
In the winter, assuming a 30 mile safety, the effective range is about 140 miles

·
Super Moderator
1,897 Posts
Confirms what most of us suspected:

• The 270 mile range is the maximum range which is combination of highway and local driving with regenerative braking adding back mileage and highway speed at 50 mph.
From the max range of 270 subtract:

• For interstate driving subtract 10% to 12%
  • For A/C, heated seats, heated steering wheel, windshield wipers subtract another 5%
  • For Winter driving below freezing subtract 25% to 30%
In the winter, assuming a 30 mile safety, the effective range is about 140 miles
according to the article: The test was mostly at 70mph, Outside temp 50°F, climate set @ 70°, seats and steering wheel heat on. Range was 224. EPA is 219.

So the only thing left from your list is the temperature decrease. The colder it gets, the more the hit.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
according to the article: The test was mostly at 70mph, Outside temp 50°F, climate set @ 70°, seats and steering wheel heat on. Range was 224. EPA is 219.

So the only thing left from your list is the temperature decrease. The colder it gets, the more the hit.
My math:

Range 224: below freezing reduce range by 25% to 30%: range is then 168 to 157

Now assume you recharge when range is 30 the effective range is 138 to 127

·
Registered
2017, Chevy Bolt - Reserved 2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
73 Posts
My math:

Range 224: below freezing reduce range by 25% to 30%: range is then 168 to 157

Now assume you recharge when range is 30 the effective range is 138 to 127
Not how it works. As an experienced EV owner, the majority of use for an EV is a mix of highway and some lower speed roads. This can result in realizing the 270 mile EPA rated range in summer. In winter a reduction from 10 to 25% range is normal resulting in 190 to 240 miles. When in stop and go the car becomes very efficient as it takes the braking energy and converts it back to KWh stored in the battery.

My Chevy Bolt regularly beats the EPA rated range in summer. It becomes a game for EV owners to get good range. Does that mean you have to drive differently? No but you naturally do. Does going 65 miles per hour vs 70 miles per hour really matter? To range it makes a big impact and it also means you can enjoy your great car a little more. Ie 5 more minutes for every hour of driving spent enjoying that big investment.

Why is everyone in a rush? Is it because life is too short or is because they can't slow down a little and appreciate what they have?

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
1,276 Posts
Thank goodness I don't live someplace where I will need an advanced degree in Quantum Physics to drive to Popeye's Chicken. Perhaps once members take delivery we can ascertain whether it will be 40 miles or 270 miles especially since many of us will not be driving over 100 mile a day and in my case around 28 miles a day before I'm home on my Juice Box 40. Good Luck 👌

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not how it works. As an experienced EV owner, the majority of use for an EV is a mix of highway and some lower speed roads. This can result in realizing the 270 mile EPA rated range in summer. In winter a reduction from 10 to 25% range is normal resulting in 190 to 240 miles. When in stop and go the car becomes very efficient as it takes the braking energy and converts it back to KWh stored in the battery.

My Chevy Bolt regularly beats the EPA rated range in summer. It becomes a game for EV owners to get good range. Does that mean you have to drive differently? No but you naturally do. Does going 65 miles per hour vs 70 miles per hour really matter? To range it makes a big impact and it also means you can enjoy your great car a little more. Ie 5 more minutes for every hour of driving spent enjoying that big investment.

Why is everyone in a rush? Is it because life is too short or is because they can't slow down a little and appreciate what they have?
I agree with your thought on the need for speed. When I took a driver safety course a couple years ago, I was surprised how little gain in time you get between traveling 60mph vs 70mph. If I recall, you gained less than 10 min on average (not 30 min to an hour). So with that, I usually back off on speeding when I catch myself because i remember that I won't get to my destination that much faster. If I find the source, I will definitely share. Hopefully, this will help balance the range we actually see in our real world driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,897 Posts
I agree with your thought on the need for speed. When I took a driver safety course a couple years ago, I was surprised how little gain in time you get between traveling 60mph vs 70mph. If I recall, you gained less than 10 min on average (not 30 min to an hour). So with that, I usually back off on speeding when I catch myself because i remember that I won't get to my destination that much faster. If I find the source, I will definitely share. Hopefully, this will help balance the range we actually see in our real world driving.
The difference between driving 100 miles at 60 mph and 70 mph, is about 14.3 minutes.

With EVs on long trips, you have to balance the range loss at higher speeds with recharge times needed. You usually end up going a farther distance in less time by driving slower and needing to recharge less.

Some long-distance EV drivers try to regain some time by only charging the battery at its highest curve, then driving at higher speeds to the next charger and repeating. Not a practice I would recommend for anyone not experienced in this, or when taking unfamiliar routes.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The difference between driving 100 miles at 60 mph and 70 mph, is about 14.3 minutes.

With EVs on long trips, you have to balance the range loss at higher speeds with recharge times needed. You usually end up going a farther distance in less time by driving slower and needing to recharge less.

Some long-distance EV drivers try to regain some time by only charging the battery at its highest curve, then driving at higher speeds to the next charger and repeating. Not a practice I would recommend for anyone not experienced in this, or when taking unfamiliar routes.
I am sure some of you guys, if not most, remember the Mobil gas economy runs!

What you are saying then is that the total elapsed time on a trip of more than 250 miles might be shorter driving at 60 mph rather than 70/75 mph because of the longer range and shorter time for charging!

I know people who will take a plane that makes two stops rather than non stop because the fare is cheaper and the do not mind the extra time.

I am just not one of them: i think the novelty of detailed planning required using the MME for long trips will wear thin very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts

In my area of extended driving the posted speeds are 70MPH, 75MPH & 80MPH and even in the #2 or #3 lanes for safety and courtesy one should be at the posted speeds. Having said that since most of the posts have to do with cold weather considerations my 'cold weather' losses will relate to highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I am sure some of you guys, if not most, remember the Mobil gas economy runs!

What you are saying then is that the total elapsed time on a trip of more than 250 miles might be shorter driving at 60 mph rather than 70/75 mph because of the longer range and shorter time for charging!

I know people who will take a plane that makes two stops rather than non stop because the fare is cheaper and the do not mind the extra time.

I am just not one of them: i think the novelty of detailed planning required using the MME for long trips will wear thin very quickly.
Perhaps for some but certainly not for all as with anything else where there is choice. There are several alternatives for those who don't want to trip plan for recharging:
Buy an ICE with a high MPG and a larger tank
Wait for the range to increase on BEVs due to battery improvements
Spend over $100,000 and get a BEV with 500 miles of range
Rent a vehicle for trips
However, in my case I plan on planning, in particular during my Las Vegas to Florida trip (if the current plague ever subsides) because I really want to be part of the BEV (MACH-E) experience now. Also, I always fly Non-Stop and up front, mostly because I loath airports.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Test seems a bit loose on the controls. Too many of “about 70 mph” and “I calculate” to have a lot confidence.

I’ll wait for Alex on Autos and Kyle of InsideEV’s.
I'll probably have mine before Consumer Reports has one to test. Given the type of roadways around me I will be able to get a mix of straight and level as well as incline up to 6600 feet through the mountains at legal speeds up to 80MPH. I plan on trying to document a real world drive and post the results hopefully sometime in March/April. There is also an extensive EA network on I-15 so I plan to include charging.

·
Super Moderator
1,897 Posts
I'll probably have mine before Consumer Reports has one to test. Given the type of roadways around me I will be able to get a mix of straight and level as well as incline up to 6600 feet through the mountains at legal speeds up to 80MPH. I plan on trying to document a real world drive and post the results hopefully sometime in March/April. There is also an extensive EA network on I-15 so I plan to include charging.
Here in NJ, The highest posted speed limit I am aware of is 65, most are 55, and surprisingly some sections are at 50mph.

In normal highway driving, Its a surfing game with traffic flow to try and gauge where the speed-traps are. Never be the lead, never trail the pack, roll the dice and ride the left lane at ‘passing speed’ longer than you should. Sometimes, its more stressful than range anxiety.

My first trip in late Spring, early Summer (if I get delivery by then) is the first time I will truly be able to maintain the car at higher speeds to actually see what range I can muster.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Here in NJ, The highest posted speed limit I am aware of is 65, most are 55, and surprisingly some sections are at 50mph.

In normal highway driving, Its a surfing game with traffic flow to try and gauge where the speed-traps are. Never be the lead, never trail the pack, roll the dice and ride the left lane at ‘passing speed’ longer than you should. Sometimes, its more stressful than range anxiety.

My first trip in late Spring, early Summer (if I get delivery by then) is the first time I will truly be able to maintain the car at higher speeds to actually see what range I can muster.
I have a vivid memory of the NJ State Troopers reputation for writing paper. I also remember that if you were on the Garden State Parkway (eons ago) you needed two rolls of 'Quarters' to get anywhere because there was a toll booth every five yards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts