Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Mach-E first debuted, perhaps the biggest question was around over the air updates and self driving capability. Today Ford has revealed exactly when those will arrive, what they will look like and what they will cost.

What it costs

For Mustang Mach-E, it will come standard on Premium, First Edition and CA Route 1 variants. It’s also available on Select trims for $3,200 as part of the larger Comfort and Technology package, which includes features such as a 360-degree camera, heated front seats and heated steering wheel.
+ $600 for the actual software

How it works
Available Active Drive Assist builds upon available Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go Lane Centering and Speed Sign Recognition. It allows you to operate your vehicle hands-free while the driver is monitored by a driver-facing camera to make sure you’re keeping your eyes on the road, with the potential for more enhancements in the future. This feature is available on prequalified sections of divided highways called Hands-Free Zones that make up over 100,000 miles of North American roads.

An advanced driver-facing camera will track eye gaze and head position to ensure drivers are paying attention to the road while in Hands-Free Mode as well as when they’re using hands-on Lane Centering Mode, which works on any road with lane lines. Drivers will be notified by visual prompts on their instrument cluster when they need to return their attention to the road or resume control of the vehicle.

Ford Advancing Hands-Free Driving Driver Assist Technology and Making it More Mainstream with F-150, Mustang Mach-E

• Coming first to F-150 and the all-electric Mustang Mach-E as part of available Ford Co-Pilot360™ Technology, Active Drive Assist allows for hands-free driving on prequalified sections of divided highways called Hands-Free Zones that make up over 100,000 miles of North American roads
  • Ford developed available Active Drive Assist based on advanced computing of camera and radar sensing technologies to provide real-time hands-free driving opportunities and enable the addition of more such zones in the future
  • Ford is not just advancing the technology with state-of-the-art innovations but leading its more mainstream adoption by making it standard or a relatively affordable option for certain F-150 pickups and Mustang Mach-E all-electric SUVs; expected first year sales of 100,000 vehicles with the technology hardware
  • The technology will become available in the third quarter of 2021 by over-the-air update (OTA), demonstrating Ford’s bumper-to-bumper OTA capability for complex innovations to help improve vehicles over time and keep customers at the forefront of technology

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 30, 2020
– Henry Ford helped millions of people lay hands on their first automobiles more than 117 years ago. Today, his company is helping many more people take their hands off steering wheels by applying the same approach to democratizing technology to Ford’s state-of-the-art Active Drive Assist hands-free driver assist innovation.

Ford developed Active Drive Assist based on advanced computing of camera and radar sensing technologies to provide real-time hands-free driving opportunities. The technology also enables expanded hands-free driving zones in the future based on system and customer patterns.

The advanced new driver assist feature will arrive first on F-150 and Mustang Mach-E, included as standard on certain models or as relatively affordable option on others, with both vehicles becoming available to customers in late 2020. Ford expects to sell more than 100,000 F-150 and Mach-E equipped with Active Drive Assist technology hardware in their first year of alone based on company sales and take-rate projections.

“As breakthroughs in new technology allow us to help reduce the stress of long highway drives, it’s important to make sure these capabilities can be enjoyed by the largest spread of people possible,” said Hau Thai-Tang, chief product platform and operations officer, Ford Motor Company. “Active Drive Assist can help improve the driving experience while ensuring people remain aware and fully in control, all for a price unmatched by our competitors – a commitment to affordable innovations that has driven us since Henry Ford put the world on wheels.”

High tech priced right

When Active Drive Assist is not equipped as standard, it will be priced competitively, including:

• For F-150, Active Drive Assist will be available as a part of the Ford Co-Pilot 360 Active 2.0 package for $1,595. The Ford Co-Pilot 360 Active 2.0 package is standard on F-150 Limited and available as an option on Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum models.
  • For Mustang Mach-E, it will come standard on Premium, First Edition and CA Route 1 variants. It’s also available on Select trims for $3,200 as part of the larger Comfort and Technology package, which includes features such as a 360-degree camera, heated front seats and heated steering wheel.

For customers purchasing F-150 and Mustang Mach-E at this year’s launch, the hardware enabling Active Drive Assist – including forward-facing camera and radar sensors – will be available through the Ford Co-Pilot360 Active 2.0 Prep Package, while customers choosing to purchase the software for $600 will receive it through an Over-the-Air Update in the third quarter of next year.

Over-the-Air Updates are quick and easy wireless upgrades that can help enhance quality, capability and improve the ownership experience over time while reducing dealer trips. This will be an early demonstration of the Ford system’s bumper-to-bumper update capability to wirelessly update nearly all vehicle computer models, enabling the addition of this type of complex innovations that require software upgrades to vehicle functions.

For example, early F-150 customers can purchase the prep package that includes the Active Drive Assist hardware and Active Park Assist 2.0 even more affordably for $895, which includes a $100 early adopter incentive. When Active Drive Assist is ready to launch with software updates, customers will then be able to purchase the software – plus a three-year service period – for $600 and receive it via Over-the-Air Update.

In the second half of 2021, new customers will be able to purchase the hardware and software together in the Ford Co-Pilot Active 2.0 package, without the need for an Over-the-Air Update to initiate the feature.

By offering innovative new technology on its most popular, mainstream nameplates, Ford expects to quickly expand the number of vehicles on the road equipped with hands-free driving technology based on company sales projections. This includes approximately a high percentage of Mustang Mach-E vehicles that are expected to be equipped with the technology.

Ford plans to continue adding mapped areas to Active Drive Assist in the future, enabling hands-free driving on even more roads and highways. After a three-year service period, customers can choose to purchase this competitively priced connected service to continue enjoying Active Drive Assist and receive new improvements via Over-the-Air Update.

How it works

Available Active Drive Assist builds upon available Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go Lane Centering and Speed Sign Recognition. It allows you to operate your vehicle hands-free while the driver is monitored by a driver-facing camera to make sure you’re keeping your eyes on the road, with the potential for more enhancements in the future. This feature is available on prequalified sections of divided highways called Hands-Free Zones that make up over 100,000 miles of North American roads.

An advanced driver-facing camera will track eye gaze and head position to ensure drivers are paying attention to the road while in Hands-Free Mode as well as when they’re using hands-on Lane Centering Mode, which works on any road with lane lines. Drivers will be notified by visual prompts on their instrument cluster when they need to return their attention to the road or resume control of the vehicle.

As part of the Ford Co-Pilot360 Active 2.0 package, customers will also receive Active Park Assist 2.0, the latest iteration of park-assist technologies to give drivers some peace of mind when parking their F-150 or Mustang Mach-E. With Active Park Assist 2.0, simply holding a button will allow the vehicle to take control of parking in parallel and perpendicular spaces with ease. It also offers Park Out Assist with side-sensing capability so drivers can confidently navigate out of a parking spot when someone’s parked too close.

·
Registered
27 Posts
$600 seems really fair to me if you look at it as $200/year for the service. I cannot imagine how much money goes into the mapping process. Not sure I'll use it much, but I'll buy it for the novelty.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts
This includes approximately a high percentage of Mustang Mach-E vehicles that are expected to be equipped with the technology.
"Approximately" a "high percentage" are "expected" to have it.

Gotta love corporate lawyers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I didn't think Autopilot was worth $3,000 when I bought my Model 3, and I certainly don't think their "Full Self Driving" (LOL) is worth $10,000.

But I'll take this for $600. Why not.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
872 Posts
I already have "hands free driving" on my 2018 Ford Edge Sport: It works exactly like the Active Driver Assists except:

• If I take my hands off the wheel, after maybe 15 to 30 seconds it reminds me to put my hands back on the wheel. In my Mercedes after 30 to 45 seconds I am reminded to put my hands back on the wheel. Then I put my hands back on the wheel, then take them off, and the time sequence starts up again. I find putting my hands on the wheel every 30 seconds to be just fine.
  • My Mercedes already has speed sign recognition. It is a 2019 model. I have turned it off. At the dealer I was asked it I wanted speed sign recognition on or off, in recognition that 99% of all drivers set their cruise control between 5 to 7 miles above the speed limit. I find the speed sign recognition of zero value and have never used it.
Just my $.02 based on my personal experience using both hands free and speed sign recognition.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I already have "hands free driving" on my 2018 Ford Edge Sport: It works exactly like the Active Driver Assists except:

• If I take my hands off the wheel, after maybe 15 to 30 seconds it reminds me to put my hands back on the wheel. In my Mercedes after 30 to 45 seconds I am reminded to put my hands back on the wheel. Then I put my hands back on the wheel, then take them off, and the time sequence starts up again. I find putting my hands on the wheel every 30 seconds to be just fine.
  • My Mercedes already has speed sign recognition. It is a 2019 model. I have turned it off. At the dealer I was asked it I wanted speed sign recognition on or off, in recognition that 99% of all drivers set their cruise control between 5 to 7 miles above the speed limit. I find the speed sign recognition of zero value and have never used it.
Just my $.02 based on my personal experience using both hands free and speed sign recognition.
Well no, you have "do not take your hands off the wheel" Assist. Just like Tesla Autopilot, you are not supposed to remove your hands from the wheel, and the system is designed just to minimize corrective efforts needed, for a less stressful hands-on driving experience. Taking hands off the wheel with current Ford systems is dangerous.

This is a new feature that requires more detailed mapping, knowing what's ahead of you (hence why the roads it will work on are limited), and the driver camera that knows if you're watching the road ahead to be prepared to take back over.

No Ford currently has Hands Free Driving.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Well no, you have "do not take your hands off the wheel" Assist. Just like Tesla Autopilot, you are not supposed to remove your hands from the wheel, and the system is designed just to minimize corrective efforts needed, for a less stressful hands-on driving experience. Taking hands off the wheel with current Ford systems is dangerous.

This is a new feature that requires more detailed mapping, knowing what's ahead of you (hence why the roads it will work on are limited), and the driver camera that knows if you're watching the wheel.

No Ford currently has Hands Free Driving.
Have you driven a Ford Edge with with Adaptive Cruise Control on an Interstate and removed your hands from the wheel?
Have you driven a Mercedes with the Driver's Assist Package on an interstate and removed your hands from the wheel?

If not, suggest you do.

When you do I think you will agree with my post.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you driven a Ford Edge with with Adaptive Cruise Control on an Interstate and removed your hands from the wheel?
Have you driven a Mercedes with the Driver's Assist Package on an interstate and removed your hands from the wheel?

If not, suggest you do.

When you do I think you will agree with my post.

No, I will not agree. Sorry.

The systems are not designed to be used with hands off the wheel, the same as Tesla's Autopilot.

The fact that they can be, does not make that equivalent or, in my view, OK.

·
Registered
872 Posts
No, I will not agree. Sorry.

The systems are not designed to be used with hands off the wheel, the same as Tesla's Autopilot.

The fact that they can be, does not make that equivalent or, in my view, OK.
Having never tried the system, you have decided it does not work.

If you look at my post I said:

"Just my $.02 based on my personal experience using both hands free and speed sign recognition."

What has changed is:

• The installation of a camera to determine if you are paying attention.
  • Additional mapping for speed limit signs and ability to read the signs
You will note that both of these have nothing to do with the existing hardware that permits "hands free driving". The hardware is already there.

The software updates as to sign recognition and camera to determine driver attention permits Ford to legally advertise "hands free driving".

All that has changed is that you no longer have to put your hand on the wheel every 30 seconds.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Having never tried the system, you have decided it does not work.

If you look at my post I said:

"Just my $.02 based on my personal experience using both hands free and speed sign recognition."

What has changed is:

• The installation of a camera to determine if you are paying attention.
  • Additional mapping for speed limit signs and ability to read the signs
You will note that both of these have nothing to do with the existing hardware that permits "hands free driving". The hardware is already there.

The software updates as to sign recognition and camera to determine driver attention permits Ford to legally advertise "hands free driving".

All that has changed is that you no longer have to put your hand on the wheel every 30 seconds.

No, I did not decided you're wrong or that your car doesn't do what you say it does.

My point is clear - your system is not a hands-free system. You are using it that way, but that does not in any way, shape, or form make it a hands-free system.

This system, launching with Mustang Mach-E and F-150, is a hands-free driving system.

So my point remains clear, no Ford yet sold to a customer has hands-free driving. I'm not knocking your Edge, it's probably great - but it does not have hands-free driving.

·
Registered
872 Posts
No, I did not decided you're wrong or that your car doesn't do what you say it does.

My point is clear - your system is not a hands-free system. You are using it that way, but that does not in any way, shape, or form make it a hands-free system.

This system, launching with Mustang Mach-E and F-150, is a hands-free driving system.

So my point remains clear, no Ford yet sold to a customer has hands-free driving. I'm not knocking your Edge, it's probably great - but it does not have hands-free driving.
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can't wait for it to arrive :) I check every hour for my build date. :D I wish I could just hit fast-forward till it gets here.

I don't take any of that other forums' hate personally, and I'm glad everyone's passionate about the Mach-E. I see debate as constructive, not stressful. We can all disagree and respect each other and not ban each other.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
I can't wait for it to arrive :) I check every hour for my build date. :D I wish I could just hit fast-forward till it gets here.

I don't take any of that other forums' hate personally, and I'm glad everyone's passionate about the Mach-E. I see debate as constructive, not stressful. We can all disagree and respect each other and not ban each other.
As I say at my brain-storm sessions: diversity in discussion leads to enhanced critical thinking. The key to a successful outcome is: even when passionate about a topic, everyone must stay respectful of each other’s opinions.

On this $600 for Ford’s first go at hands-free is an excellent price-point. At this price, I can forgive quirks and bugs as they work the kinks out. Also, at $600, almost every MMe driver will opt-in. If it were $2,500, not so much.

for the earlier systems, to @jolteon point, Ford specifically says they are not hands-free. So, saying anything otherwise is untrue.

To @JTK44 point - while they are not-hands free, if you keep your hands near the wheel and at the ready, you can watch the lane keeping systems, along with adaptive cruise control and breaking systems in action. Its not too shabby, but behind AutoPilot.

I can’t wait to see what the new systems will do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When the Mach-E first debuted, perhaps the biggest question was around over the air updates and self driving capability. Today Ford has revealed exactly when those will arrive, what they will look like and what they will cost.

What it costs

For Mustang Mach-E, it will come standard on Premium, First Edition and CA Route 1 variants. It’s also available on Select trims for $3,200 as part of the larger Comfort and Technology package, which includes features such as a 360-degree camera, heated front seats and heated steering wheel.
+ $600 for the actual software

How it works

View attachment 2852

Ford Advancing Hands-Free Driving Driver Assist Technology and Making it More Mainstream with F-150, Mustang Mach-E

• Coming first to F-150 and the all-electric Mustang Mach-E as part of available Ford Co-Pilot360™ Technology, Active Drive Assist allows for hands-free driving on prequalified sections of divided highways called Hands-Free Zones that make up over 100,000 miles of North American roads
  • Ford developed available Active Drive Assist based on advanced computing of camera and radar sensing technologies to provide real-time hands-free driving opportunities and enable the addition of more such zones in the future
  • Ford is not just advancing the technology with state-of-the-art innovations but leading its more mainstream adoption by making it standard or a relatively affordable option for certain F-150 pickups and Mustang Mach-E all-electric SUVs; expected first year sales of 100,000 vehicles with the technology hardware
  • The technology will become available in the third quarter of 2021 by over-the-air update (OTA), demonstrating Ford’s bumper-to-bumper OTA capability for complex innovations to help improve vehicles over time and keep customers at the forefront of technology

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 30, 2020
– Henry Ford helped millions of people lay hands on their first automobiles more than 117 years ago. Today, his company is helping many more people take their hands off steering wheels by applying the same approach to democratizing technology to Ford’s state-of-the-art Active Drive Assist hands-free driver assist innovation.

Ford developed Active Drive Assist based on advanced computing of camera and radar sensing technologies to provide real-time hands-free driving opportunities. The technology also enables expanded hands-free driving zones in the future based on system and customer patterns.

The advanced new driver assist feature will arrive first on F-150 and Mustang Mach-E, included as standard on certain models or as relatively affordable option on others, with both vehicles becoming available to customers in late 2020. Ford expects to sell more than 100,000 F-150 and Mach-E equipped with Active Drive Assist technology hardware in their first year of alone based on company sales and take-rate projections.

“As breakthroughs in new technology allow us to help reduce the stress of long highway drives, it’s important to make sure these capabilities can be enjoyed by the largest spread of people possible,” said Hau Thai-Tang, chief product platform and operations officer, Ford Motor Company. “Active Drive Assist can help improve the driving experience while ensuring people remain aware and fully in control, all for a price unmatched by our competitors – a commitment to affordable innovations that has driven us since Henry Ford put the world on wheels.”

High tech priced right

When Active Drive Assist is not equipped as standard, it will be priced competitively, including:

• For F-150, Active Drive Assist will be available as a part of the Ford Co-Pilot 360 Active 2.0 package for $1,595. The Ford Co-Pilot 360 Active 2.0 package is standard on F-150 Limited and available as an option on Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum models.
  • For Mustang Mach-E, it will come standard on Premium, First Edition and CA Route 1 variants. It’s also available on Select trims for $3,200 as part of the larger Comfort and Technology package, which includes features such as a 360-degree camera, heated front seats and heated steering wheel.

For customers purchasing F-150 and Mustang Mach-E at this year’s launch, the hardware enabling Active Drive Assist – including forward-facing camera and radar sensors – will be available through the Ford Co-Pilot360 Active 2.0 Prep Package, while customers choosing to purchase the software for $600 will receive it through an Over-the-Air Update in the third quarter of next year.

Over-the-Air Updates are quick and easy wireless upgrades that can help enhance quality, capability and improve the ownership experience over time while reducing dealer trips. This will be an early demonstration of the Ford system’s bumper-to-bumper update capability to wirelessly update nearly all vehicle computer models, enabling the addition of this type of complex innovations that require software upgrades to vehicle functions.

For example, early F-150 customers can purchase the prep package that includes the Active Drive Assist hardware and Active Park Assist 2.0 even more affordably for $895, which includes a $100 early adopter incentive. When Active Drive Assist is ready to launch with software updates, customers will then be able to purchase the software – plus a three-year service period – for $600 and receive it via Over-the-Air Update.

In the second half of 2021, new customers will be able to purchase the hardware and software together in the Ford Co-Pilot Active 2.0 package, without the need for an Over-the-Air Update to initiate the feature.

By offering innovative new technology on its most popular, mainstream nameplates, Ford expects to quickly expand the number of vehicles on the road equipped with hands-free driving technology based on company sales projections. This includes approximately a high percentage of Mustang Mach-E vehicles that are expected to be equipped with the technology.

Ford plans to continue adding mapped areas to Active Drive Assist in the future, enabling hands-free driving on even more roads and highways. After a three-year service period, customers can choose to purchase this competitively priced connected service to continue enjoying Active Drive Assist and receive new improvements via Over-the-Air Update.

How it works

As part of the Ford Co-Pilot360 Active 2.0 package, customers will also receive Active Park Assist 2.0, the latest iteration of park-assist technologies to give drivers some peace of mind when parking their F-150 or Mustang Mach-E. With Active Park Assist 2.0, simply holding a button will allow the vehicle to take control of parking in parallel and perpendicular spaces with ease. It also offers Park Out Assist with side-sensing capability so drivers can confidently navigate out of a parking spot when someone’s parked too close.
My concern is, Will Ford continue to update its lane centering and intelligent cruise if someone decides not to pay for the hands free driving? Will this turn into a pay to play world... My Tesla got better over time for free.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
My concern is, Will Ford continue to update its lane centering and intelligent cruise if someone decides not to pay for the hands free driving? Will this turn into a pay to play world... My Tesla got better over time for free.
In the packaging guide, certain things specifically state the number of years included. The copilot 360 features outside of the advanced driving assist are not among them.
What is listed are things like connected navigation and the FordPass network.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts