Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
MME Premium extended range AWD
248 Posts
I'll being following Sandy's teardown for sure. So far he has given the MME his seal of approval.

·
Registered
20 Posts
nice start to the teardown

·
Registered
313 Posts
It is only a nightmare if the cooling system does not work as expected or something fails. Team Edison was under a time crunch and I am sure they can simplify the cooling design given time. One advantage is that these cooling systems operate at much lower temperatures than the brutal underhood temperatures in the ICE cooling systems. What I would worry about is some poorly trained technician screwing something up during a repair. This is certainly a case where you want to take lots of pictures before beginning!

A side note here on the cooling....Last evening as I was level 2 charging my Mach E at 9.5 kw per hr in my garage, the front cooling shutters were open and the cooling fans were running. It has been unseasonably hot here with daytime temps in upper 90’s. That is the first time I've observed the cooling fans running while charging at home.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What offend Munro the most is the complexity and cost in manufacturing that mess. It doesn't speak well for Ford's margins in ramping up production. We all want to see a viable financial path to adoption of BEVs, no matter what brand preference.

·
Super Moderator
2,794 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy these tear downs, I can’t wait to see what Munro uncovers.

The size of it all seems overkill, and the Mach-e thermally throttles if you push it too far and too long. I have a feeling both the thermal throttle and size of the cooling system are Fords over cautious approach to a full BEV, like the strange charging curve.

Maybe those ‘discard if dropped’ parts are crash breakers for the high-voltage systems.

Keep digging,Sandy!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've watched it; other than the negative vibes from the headline, it was interesting to see the guts of the MMe below the Frunk. Four pumps and all those hoses conjure up fear of hose and pump repairs in your future; however, I suspect all those hoses are not under the same temp and pressure as in an ICE vehicle? It would have been better had Sandy explained more about what all those hoses do and the benefit they bring to the table. Perhaps one of the Ford engineers "in the know" could give us a little reassurance? I'm thinking the tech on hoses and pumps have come a long way over the years and Ford has designed a system to maximize battery life and efficiency. I'm not going to bash Sandy, remember his favorable review of the MME underside.

Does anyone remember, early on, when Ford reps discussed cooling?

·
Registered
248 Posts
A side note here on the cooling....Last evening as I was level 2 charging my Mach E at 9.5 kw per hr in my garage, the front cooling shutters were open and the cooling fans were running. It has been unseasonably hot here with daytime temps in upper 90’s. That is the first time I've observed the cooling fans running while charging at home.

Same here in my garage, getting pretty hot. Front cooling shutters open and I can hear fan(s) running. In winter we were all talking about the batteries needing to be warmed up. Now in the summer we are all talking about the batteries needing to be cooled. Other than air from the fan, what liquids are running through our MMEs to cool help cool things down or warm things up?

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,854 Posts
Just watched the video as well.

With all those hoses, clamps, etc, I cannot imagine not having problems in the years ahead. This video should be "caveat" to all those early purchasers of the MME who intend to keep their cars for 10 years and 150,000.

Personally after I watching Sandy's video I hope Ford will correct this situation.

see:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just watched the video as well.

With all those hoses, clamps, etc, I cannot imagine not having problems in the years ahead. This video should be "caveat" to all those early purchasers of the MME who intend to keep their cars for 10 years and 150,000.

Personally after I watching Sandy's video I hope Ford will correct this situation.

see:
I'm not sure that is a fair thing to say; kind of sounds like you are playing up the fear factor to discourage initial MME owners like myself.

·
Registered
171 Posts
From a cost perspective, creating a new product takes lots of money and years of development. Like Munro said in this video, Tesla developed that octovalve and it took years. From Ford's perspective, they have a cheap option that is mostly reliable; hoses. So for a first year vehicle it makes complete sense to keep price low and to put in the hoses. Yes, those hoses have a potential to leak but a full blowout is very unlikely. These hose configurations are used in all of Ford's vehicles, take a look at the F-150 ecoboost, hoses everywhere to cool all parts of the engine. Its very seldom that you'll wake up and the garage is flooded with coolant. Now that the Mach-E is a huge success, Ford will be simplifying their components for the next iteration of the Mach-E because they have financial backing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
These hose configurations are used in all of Ford's vehicles, take a look at the F-150 ecoboost, hoses everywhere to cool all parts of the engine. Its very seldom that you'll wake up and the garage is flooded with coolant.
Is the coolant in the MME the same as the coolant in other Ford's?

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,854 Posts
I'm not sure that is a fair thing to say; kind of sounds like you are playing up the fear factor to discourage initial MME owners like myself.
No not at all - at least not my intention.

I do remember people saying that they intend to keep their MME for 10 years and 150,000 miles - the MME being a BEV with few mechanical parts as compared to an ICE.

Being early production we all know that there will be kinks and errors that later production will correct and work out.

All I am saying is that early purchasers may have to adapt their thinking about the maintenance that inevitably will be required if they keep the MME.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts