Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Volvo XC40 Recharge has a 1500kg (about 3000lb) towing capacity? The Mach E (on the UK Ford website) lists a tow capacity of only 500kg (about 1000lbs).

Both Volvo and Ford can charge up to 150kW

Volvo's 0-60 time is listed at 4.7seconds

Volvo's Battery is listed at 78kWh total 75kWh usable

Volvo's Range is listed at >200 miles (EPA)

See the full Volvo specifications at

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think as far as specs go they'll be close, but you're paying a more premium price with a Volvo obviously.
I'll be really curious to see just HOW much more though. If any. It sounds like the base XC40 Recharge may already be spec'd comparable to a Mach-e premium AWD SR, which is $53,900 (not counting tax credits). With similar range (~210 miles).

One article I read said "Anders Gustafsson, president and CEO of Volvo Cars USA, says the XC40 Recharge should come in under $50,000, including available incentives". Assuming the incentive he's referring to is the $7500 federal tax credit, that could mean MSRP around $56-57k. That could put it within 3k or so of the comparable Mach-e, maybe less.

And there's a couple of advantages to the XC40. First, Volvo has sold <20k vehicles in the US counting toward the 200k tax credit cap, and won't sell as fast as Ford here, so the credits should be available in 2021 and probably 2022 for those of us that would rather wait and see how the BEV version proves out first. Second, the XC40 already exists in ICE form, and there's supposed to be very few differences. So we can go to a showroom today and check it out. Which I may do soon.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'll be really curious to see just HOW much more though. If any. It sounds like the base XC40 Recharge may already be spec'd comparable to a Mach-e premium AWD SR, which is $53,900 (not counting tax credits). With similar range (~210 miles).

One article I read said "Anders Gustafsson, president and CEO of Volvo Cars USA, says the XC40 Recharge should come in under $50,000, including available incentives". Assuming the incentive he's referring to is the $7500 federal tax credit, that could mean MSRP around $56-57k. That could put it within 3k or so of the comparable Mach-e, maybe less.

And there's a couple of advantages to the XC40. First, Volvo has sold <20k vehicles in the US counting toward the 200k tax credit cap, and won't sell as fast as Ford here, so the credits should be available in 2021 and probably 2022 for those of us that would rather wait and see how the BEV version proves out first. Second, the XC40 already exists in ICE form, and there's supposed to be very few differences. So we can go to a showroom today and check it out. Which I may do soon.
If that's the case then that makes things much more interesting. When review articles and videos start coming out for the Mach-E I'm going to keep an eye out for comparisons with the XC40 Recharge.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I might be wrong on how the Recharge will be spec'd compared to the Premium Mach-e. All of the videos and images I've seen show all the nicer features, but that may just be to show off the best of the best. It does seem clear that it'll be AWD though as everything I've read says a 150 kW motor on both axles.

Lack of an ER battery will turn a lot of people away. But I've already decided I'll just drive the ICE on any road trips. 200+ miles is enough for my needs around home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What I liked about the Mach-E reservation process is that you could configure and price the vehicle at reservation time. Volvo just asks that you pay them $1000 without really any clue as to what the as-configured price would be. I've seen $55k mentioned as a estimated price before tax credits, but what's included in that price? Are they going to carry over the Momentum, Inscription, & R-Design trims? When compared to the Premium AWD ER I reserved, I prefer the interior, smaller size, and more power of the XC40, but the exterior of the Mach-E looks better and it has longer range. I've thought about reserving the XC40 with the hopes that when it comes time to place an order there will be more info available.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I checked on Volvo Canada web site and it is not available to reserve one for now, just a keep informed! There is also the Audi Q4, Volkswagen ID4 and Mercedes EQA to come soon this year. I keep my mind wide open.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the spy pictures of the ID.4 are correct, I'm not a fan of the look. That back end almost looks like a hearse.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The XC40 is pretty impressive overall. It's probably my leading contender for an alternative to the Mach-E if I don't like the Mach-E when I finally get to drive one.

• 0-60 in under 5 seconds
  • 230+ mi range
  • 402 hp
  • AWD
  • 78 kWh battery capacity

·
Registered
756 Posts
The XC40 is pretty impressive overall. It's probably my leading contender for an alternative to the Mach-E if I don't like the Mach-E when I finally get to drive one.

• 0-60 in under 5 seconds
  • 230+ mi range
  • 402 hp
  • AWD
  • 78 kWh battery capacity
With the XC40 Recharge and the Polestar 2, Volvo is making a solid push into EVs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts