Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Volvo XC40 Recharge has a 1500kg (about 3000lb) towing capacity? The Mach E (on the UK Ford website) lists a tow capacity of only 500kg (about 1000lbs).

Both Volvo and Ford can charge up to 150kW

Volvo's 0-60 time is listed at 4.7seconds

Volvo's Battery is listed at 78kWh total 75kWh usable

Volvo's Range is listed at >200 miles (EPA)

See the full Volvo specifications at

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think as far as specs go they'll be close, but you're paying a more premium price with a Volvo obviously.
I'll be really curious to see just HOW much more though. If any. It sounds like the base XC40 Recharge may already be spec'd comparable to a Mach-e premium AWD SR, which is $53,900 (not counting tax credits). With similar range (~210 miles).

One article I read said "Anders Gustafsson, president and CEO of Volvo Cars USA, says the XC40 Recharge should come in under $50,000, including available incentives". Assuming the incentive he's referring to is the $7500 federal tax credit, that could mean MSRP around $56-57k. That could put it within 3k or so of the comparable Mach-e, maybe less.

And there's a couple of advantages to the XC40. First, Volvo has sold <20k vehicles in the US counting toward the 200k tax credit cap, and won't sell as fast as Ford here, so the credits should be available in 2021 and probably 2022 for those of us that would rather wait and see how the BEV version proves out first. Second, the XC40 already exists in ICE form, and there's supposed to be very few differences. So we can go to a showroom today and check it out. Which I may do soon.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'll be really curious to see just HOW much more though. If any. It sounds like the base XC40 Recharge may already be spec'd comparable to a Mach-e premium AWD SR, which is $53,900 (not counting tax credits). With similar range (~210 miles).

One article I read said "Anders Gustafsson, president and CEO of Volvo Cars USA, says the XC40 Recharge should come in under $50,000, including available incentives". Assuming the incentive he's referring to is the $7500 federal tax credit, that could mean MSRP around $56-57k. That could put it within 3k or so of the comparable Mach-e, maybe less.

And there's a couple of advantages to the XC40. First, Volvo has sold <20k vehicles in the US counting toward the 200k tax credit cap, and won't sell as fast as Ford here, so the credits should be available in 2021 and probably 2022 for those of us that would rather wait and see how the BEV version proves out first. Second, the XC40 already exists in ICE form, and there's supposed to be very few differences. So we can go to a showroom today and check it out. Which I may do soon.
If that's the case then that makes things much more interesting. When review articles and videos start coming out for the Mach-E I'm going to keep an eye out for comparisons with the XC40 Recharge.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I might be wrong on how the Recharge will be spec'd compared to the Premium Mach-e. All of the videos and images I've seen show all the nicer features, but that may just be to show off the best of the best. It does seem clear that it'll be AWD though as everything I've read says a 150 kW motor on both axles.

Lack of an ER battery will turn a lot of people away. But I've already decided I'll just drive the ICE on any road trips. 200+ miles is enough for my needs around home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What I liked about the Mach-E reservation process is that you could configure and price the vehicle at reservation time. Volvo just asks that you pay them $1000 without really any clue as to what the as-configured price would be. I've seen $55k mentioned as a estimated price before tax credits, but what's included in that price? Are they going to carry over the Momentum, Inscription, & R-Design trims? When compared to the Premium AWD ER I reserved, I prefer the interior, smaller size, and more power of the XC40, but the exterior of the Mach-E looks better and it has longer range. I've thought about reserving the XC40 with the hopes that when it comes time to place an order there will be more info available.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I checked on Volvo Canada web site and it is not available to reserve one for now, just a keep informed! There is also the Audi Q4, Volkswagen ID4 and Mercedes EQA to come soon this year. I keep my mind wide open.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The XC40 is pretty impressive overall. It's probably my leading contender for an alternative to the Mach-E if I don't like the Mach-E when I finally get to drive one.

• 0-60 in under 5 seconds
  • 230+ mi range
  • 402 hp
  • AWD
  • 78 kWh battery capacity

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The XC40 is pretty impressive overall. It's probably my leading contender for an alternative to the Mach-E if I don't like the Mach-E when I finally get to drive one.

• 0-60 in under 5 seconds
  • 230+ mi range
  • 402 hp
  • AWD
  • 78 kWh battery capacity
With the XC40 Recharge and the Polestar 2, Volvo is making a solid push into EVs.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,249 Posts
from 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV production begins, US deliveries by January

2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV production begins, US deliveries by January
Bengt Halvorson
BENGT HALVORSON OCTOBER 2, 2020

2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge goes into production
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge

2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge

Volvo announced Thursday that production of its first fully electric vehicle, the XC40 T8 Recharge, has started in Ghent, Belgium.

The electric SUV is bound for the U.S. starting late this year, and in terms of pricing, performance, and packaging, it’s shaping up to be one of the closest rivals yet to the Tesla Model Y.

Volvo Cars North America told Green Car Reports and a group of journalists Thursday that while demonstration cars are likely to arrive at many dealerships in December, first deliveries won’t likely start until January.

2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 - Los Angeles reveal, October 2019

Revealed last October, the 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge final specs and pricing have yet to be confirmed for the U.S.

The Recharge was engineered and developed concurrently with the Polestar 2 by the same Volvo-led engineering teams in Sweden, and with the same designer, Thomas Ingenlath.

Both models have 78-kwh (75-kwh usable) battery packs configured into a ‘T’ under the back seat and drive tunnel, plus front and rear 150-kw motors. Volvo promises a 0-60 mph time of 4.7 seconds for the 402-hp dual-motor vehicle, as well as an expected range of more than 200 miles.

2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge

The XC40 Recharge can fast-charge at 150 kw, allowing a charge to 80% in about 40 minutes. At launch, the Android-based, Google-supported navigation system will have the capability to use energy consumption and the battery’s state of charge to suggest DC fast-charging stops along the route, modifying the arrival time based on the anticipated length of the charge stop.

Volvo confirmed that in U.S. spec the XC40 Recharge will come with a heat pump and other cold-weather features that correspond with its offering across the U.S., not just in California emissions states.

Volvo opened U.S. pre-orders for the XC40 Recharge back in January, and it’s reportedly sold out the first year of production based on the number of fully refundable $1,000 pre-orders it’s received.
In the absence of exact pricing, Volvo has said the Recharge will cost about $55,000, or roughly $48,000 when factoring in the destination fee and eligibility for the $7,500 EV tax credit.

The company plans to introduce one fully electric model each year until 2025, with aims to make fully electric vehicles half of its global sales by 2025, with the remainder hybrids. It concedes that its proportion of EVs likely won’t be quite that high for the U.S. market.

HIGH-RES GALLERY: 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge goes into production

·
Super Moderator
2,786 Posts
from 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV production begins, US deliveries by January

2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV production begins, US deliveries by January
Bengt Halvorson
BENGT HALVORSON
OCTOBER 2, 2020

2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge

2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge

Volvo announced Thursday that production of its first fully electric vehicle, the XC40 T8 Recharge, has started in Ghent, Belgium.

The electric SUV is bound for the U.S. starting late this year, and in terms of pricing, performance, and packaging, it’s shaping up to be one of the closest rivals yet to the Tesla Model Y.

Volvo Cars North America told Green Car Reports and a group of journalists Thursday that while demonstration cars are likely to arrive at many dealerships in December, first deliveries won’t likely start until January.

Revealed last October, the 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge final specs and pricing have yet to be confirmed for the U.S.

The Recharge was engineered and developed concurrently with the Polestar 2 by the same Volvo-led engineering teams in Sweden, and with the same designer, Thomas Ingenlath.

Both models have 78-kwh (75-kwh usable) battery packs configured into a ‘T’ under the back seat and drive tunnel, plus front and rear 150-kw motors. Volvo promises a 0-60 mph time of 4.7 seconds for the 402-hp dual-motor vehicle, as well as an expected range of more than 200 miles.

2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge

The XC40 Recharge can fast-charge at 150 kw, allowing a charge to 80% in about 40 minutes. At launch, the Android-based, Google-supported navigation system will have the capability to use energy consumption and the battery’s state of charge to suggest DC fast-charging stops along the route, modifying the arrival time based on the anticipated length of the charge stop.

Volvo confirmed that in U.S. spec the XC40 Recharge will come with a heat pump and other cold-weather features that correspond with its offering across the U.S., not just in California emissions states.

Volvo opened U.S. pre-orders for the XC40 Recharge back in January, and it’s reportedly sold out the first year of production based on the number of fully refundable $1,000 pre-orders it’s received.
In the absence of exact pricing, Volvo has said the Recharge will cost about $55,000, or roughly $48,000 when factoring in the destination fee and eligibility for the $7,500 EV tax credit.

The company plans to introduce one fully electric model each year until 2025, with aims to make fully electric vehicles half of its global sales by 2025, with the remainder hybrids. It concedes that its proportion of EVs likely won’t be quite that high for the U.S. market.

HIGH-RES GALLERY: 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge goes into production
I love Volvo vars, but the range is what kills this for me. I would have to fork up the money for the Polestar 2.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I love Volvo vars, but the range is what kills this for me. I would have to fork up the money for the Polestar 2.
At that range it isn't a competitor to the Y or the MME. The "luxury" brands don't seem to get that range is the biggest concern of someone coming from an ICE, and it doesn't matter what else the car can do if it doesn't address that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I saw that the Polestar 2 just earned a very disappointing EPA range of 233 miles. Manufacturer claims are to be taken with a grain of salt until actual production models are tested. The gold standard for AWD LR "around 400 HP" is Tesla's Model Y EPA 316 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,786 Posts
I saw that the Polestar 2 just earned a very disappointing EPA range of 233 miles. Manufacturer claims are to be taken with a grain of salt until actual production models are tested. The gold standard for AWD LR "around 400 HP" is Tesla's Model Y EPA 316 miles.
Yes, range is important. I think efficiency is also a major indicator. Personally, I feel MPGe is a ridiculous rating, I prefer the simpler miles/kWh. The more miles per useable kWh, the better.

The Model Y is estimated at 3.6 miles/kwh (3.2 for the performance model). So far, it is the highest among cars on the roads.

The Polestar 2 came in at 3.2 m/kWh. They estimated 3.8, which was a bold claim from the beginning.

Based in the targeted EPA ranges for the Mustang Mach-e, we have:
3.4 m/kWh for the RWD/ER.
3.1 m/ kWh for the AWD/ER.
3.2 m/kWh for the AWD/SR.
3.5 m/kWh for the RWD/SR.
2.8 m/kWh for the GT.

These are pretty good compared to what we are seeing from other manufacturers, and puts it right up there with the Model Y. If the actual EPA numbers are higher than Ford’s targets, these efficiency numbers will get better.

We all wait patiently to see.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
120 Posts
The Build & Price for the XC40 Recharge is up - US MSRPs from $53,990.

What impresses me the most is that the "Lava" orange-red carpet is available even with the green exterior. That "mix-and-match" approach is rare but I guess less so from luxury brands.

Still no EPA range. If I was a Volvo fan, I could see this being an okay value, but nothing here is going to talk me out of the Mach-E... but man I like that Lava carpet :p

$350 upcharge for a heat pump - but no claims on the added real-world range associated with it, just a broad "acts as a range extender" claim.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts