Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the weight of the Mach E concern anyone else? Nearly every review comments about how heavy the vehicle is, and how noticeable it is. Does this concern anyone else? Should we be concerned? Is this common for electric vehicles, or is the Mach E an outlier?

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
1,946 Posts
Does the weight of the Mach E concern anyone else? Nearly every review comments about how heavy the vehicle is, and how noticeable it is. Does this concern anyone else? Should we be concerned? Is this common for electric vehicles, or is the Mach E an outlier?
The Mod Y is 4416lbs Mach E 4890lbs. my 1963 Thunderbird 4650lbs so I'm not concerned

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
With weight: are the suspension, distribution of weight, center of gravity, brakes, and motor more than enough to compensate? Every review I see says yes.

However, nothing will replace your actual experience behind the wheel. Take it for a test drive and see if it is truly that distracting or concerning to your individual tastes.

·
Registered
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
310 Posts
The driving reviews are mixed. Some have said they like the way it drives, others say it drives like a tank. This has increased the importance of the test drive. I am now placing a much greater weight on the test drive-to-come as a factor in my buying decision. I would suggest test driving the closest thing to a Mach E, the Tesla Model Y, to have a basis for comparison. I've done this and I found the Model Y is a lot of fun to drive. Will the Mach E be more like the Bolt (zippy) or the E-tron (staid)? We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
The driving reviews are mixed. Some have said they like the way it drives, others say it drives like a tank. This has increased the importance of the test drive. I am now placing a much greater weight on the test drive-to-come as a factor in my buying decision. I would suggest test driving the closest thing to a Mach E, the Tesla Model Y, to have a basis for comparison. I've done this and I found the Model Y is a lot of fun to drive. Will the Mach E be more like the Bolt (zippy) or the E-tron (staid)? We'll see.
To me, the model Y had a harsh ride, and was a bit sloppy on uneven roadway. It was really fast (this was a MYP), and it has almost no lean in turns for a (sort of) tall vehicle, that low center of gravity helps.

It was (road) noisy, and had a bit more rattling than I anticipated. My co-worker, whose car this was, said “thats okay, you just raise the volume.”

I expect cars that cost this much to be tight, the Model Y felt more on the loose side.

I can’t wait to test-drive the MMe, my ride-along during the tour felt promising. The good thing is, I will be test-driving the car I ordered, and will get to go home with it if everything is good.

·
Registered
Black Premium ER AWD, Ordered September 2020
26 Posts
Although I already have a Mach-E on order, I took a Model Y on a test drive a few weeks ago. I agree - the Model Y is fun to drive, which reinforces my decision to purchase a BEV. My only concern with the Model Y was the noticeable yet unwanted body panel and window noise on highway pavement joints and bumps in the road. Although the driving dynamics were refined, I was a bit concerned about the build quality based on the sounds I got while driving it. It just didn't seem light a 'tight' build. I look forward to my Mach-E test drive (hopefully in the next week or two); I plan to pay attention to how the car holds up on Michigan roads...do I get the same jittery sounds I got in the Model Y? I will also focus on the driving dynamics. Every review I've read so far makes me believe I'll be satisfied (with the potential lone exception being the braking system), but I want to be sure.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It's very possible that Ford, while using the Mustang name for marketing, tuned the select and premium trims for a more compliant, comfortable ride. I suspect that's the preference for the bulk of the people who purchase the MME.
I wonder what the GT with the magnetic damper option drives/ rides like? It may be the best MME for both comfort and handling.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X705F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
It's very possible that Ford, while using the Mustang name for marketing, tuned the select and premium trims for a more compliant, comfortable ride. I suspect that's the preference for the bulk of the people who purchase the MME.
I wonder what the GT with the magnetic damper option drives/ rides like? It may be the best MME for both comfort and handling.

I owned a car with the GM developed (adopted by Ferrari) MagneRide suspension and it was simply incredible. I spent an entire day on various tracks, skidpans, drag racing and cones at a GM sponsored event in Nevada and the suspension is incredibly responsive under varying conditions. It should be noted that one of the Caddy models was a stick shift station wagon. For anyone who may not be familiar with MagneRide, it's comprised of tiny magnets suspended in a fluid that changes viscosity based on the pressures placed by the handling needs. Please note that my description is VERY basic. The vehicles in question Caddy CTS Vs were all over 4000lbs and a sedan version did the Nurburgring in 7mins. 58 sec. which is just this side of not happening for a 4000+ four door vehicle. The GT should be a "Killer"

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
I owned a car with the GM developed (adopted by Ferrari) MagneRide suspension and it was simply incredible. I spent an entire day on various tracks, skidpans, drag racing and cones at a GM sponsored event in Nevada and the suspension is incredibly responsive under varying conditions. It should be noted that one of the Caddy models was a stick shift station wagon. For anyone who may not be familiar with MagneRide, it's comprised of tiny magnets suspended in a fluid that changes viscosity based on the pressures placed by the handling needs. Please note that my description is VERY basic. The vehicles in question Caddy CTS Vs were all over 4000lbs and a sedan version did the Nurburgring in 7mins. 58 sec. which is just this side of not happening for a 4000+ four door vehicle. The GT should be a "Killer"
MagneRide is an automotive adaptive suspension with magnetorheological damper system developed by the Delphi Automotive corporation and now owned by Beijing West Industries (BWI) that uses magnetically controlled dampers, or shock absorbers, for a highly adaptive ride.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I owned a car with the GM developed (adopted by Ferrari) MagnaRide suspension and it was simply incredible. I spent an entire day on various tracks, skidpans, drag racing and cones at a GM sponsored event in Nevada and the suspension is incredibly responsive under varying conditions. It should be noted that one of the Caddy models was a stick shift station wagon. For anyone who may not be familiar with MagnaRide, it's comprised of tiny magnets suspended in a fluid that changes viscosity based on the pressures placed by the handling needs. Please note that my description is VERY basic. The vehicles in question Caddy CTS Vs were all over 4000lbs and a sedan version did the Nurburgring in 7mins. 58 sec. which is just this side of not happening for a 4000+ four door vehicle. The GT should be a "Killer"
We had a Cadillac with MagneRide and yes I agree completely. Incredible. It's magic. I can only imagine what the combination of magnetic dampers with modern software is like. For various reasons, we ordered the Premium rather than waiting for the GT (cost, range, earlier availability...) but I would not at all be surprised if the GT was the best handling yet the best riding version of the MME.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
We had a Cadillac with MagneRide and yes I agree completely. Incredible. It's magic. I can only imagine what the combination of magnetic dampers with modern software is like. For various reasons, we ordered the Premium rather than waiting for the GT (cost, range, earlier availability...) but I would not at all be surprised if the GT was the best handling yet the best riding version of the MME.

I debated Premium vs GT but I didn't want to wait any longer than I already am. I am still considering "flipping" the Premium for a GT in a few years based on battery technology and range improvements.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I weighed my Select AWD standard range on a CATS scale and front wheels = 2280 # rear = 2260 #'s total 4540 lbs. without me in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts