Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of these would they actually sell in the face of MME AND the Model Y? There's always going to be the brand snob types but in a few months, no one with a half a brain is going to buy these.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nobody was buying them before the Y and E - why do you think they have to discount 2019's by $20k? Most of us just want affordable EV's with a good range, not the ridiculously short range econobox compliance cars or the ridiculously expensive luxury cars. As a luxury brand even Tesla struggled to sell very many EV's. It wasn't until the cheaper Model 3 hit the market that sales took off, making the company profitable for the first time. Sorry, but these ridiculous high end luxury BEV's are only hurting the market because they are giving the impression that "almost nobody wants EV's", when in fact many do - they just want reasonably priced EV's with good range. Even the Bolt that pioneered being the "EV for the rest of us" has to discount deeply now that the fed rebate is gone and it is in the same price bracket as the much nicer model 3. With the discounts, Bolt sales have done well even during a pandemic.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yea. All the reviews for the I-pace were super positive at first too.
I guess it just doesn't have the numbers though. And Jag is a very niche brand. If it was a cool looking Land Rover... well... that might be different.

Mercedes is also really struggling with it's electric SUV.

I gotta hand it to Ford... they got the marketing and the product spot on with this car.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nobody was buying them before the Y and E - why do you think they have to discount 2019's by $20k? Most of us just want affordable EV's with a good range, not the ridiculously short range econobox compliance cars or the ridiculously expensive luxury cars. As a luxury brand even Tesla struggled to sell very many EV's. It wasn't until the cheaper Model 3 hit the market that sales took off, making the company profitable for the first time. Sorry, but these ridiculous high end luxury BEV's are only hurting the market because they are giving the impression that "almost nobody wants EV's", when in fact many do - they just want reasonably priced EV's with good range. Even the Bolt that pioneered being the "EV for the rest of us" has to discount deeply now that the fed rebate is gone and it is in the same price bracket as the much nicer model 3. With the discounts, Bolt sales have done well even during a pandemic.
Model 3 deliveries started in Q3 2017 but didn't really take off in volume until 2018 at which point they made a modest profit for a couple of quarters. I wouldn't call them a profitable company just yet. Although I do think they'll eventually become profitable, they've got a long ways to go and the competition for the sweet spot will get fierce. I feel the MME, while not exactly inexpensive, is the EV tipping point for traditional manufacturers. VW ID.3 will accelerate this and the R&D spending will basically go all in on EVs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm getting one right now, under one of those $20K off deals.
Suggest you guys take a test drive instead of making up theories.
I've been in your shoes. Wanted to replace my P85, test-drove MY and E-tron (no way, either), and started looking into MME for months, thinking it's the only viable option.
One visit to Jaguar changed everything. From the fresh look, I don't really see close alternative over many aspects.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting one right now, under one of those $20K off deals.
Suggest you guys take a test drive instead of making up theories.
I've been in your shoes. Wanted to replace my P85, test-drove MY and E-tron (no way, either), and started looking into MME for months, thinking it's the only viable option.
One visit to Jaguar changed everything. From the fresh look, I don't really see close alternative over many aspects.
So what was the sticker and what was the out the door price before the tax rebates?

·
Registered
30 Posts
But the thing is that it's readily available with 2 years in production, offers tech and options Ford doesn't, and performance-wise it's better than any MME except GT (which are still uncertain). Range with latest update is 265

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,194 Posts
But the thing is that it's readily available with 2 years in production, offers tech and options Ford doesn't, and performance-wise it's better than any MME except GT (which are still uncertain). Range with latest update is 265
I assume you leased. What are the lease terms?

·
Super Moderator
1,926 Posts
The iPace is a really good car, it was the price-point most had issues with. Your stated MSRP sticker price of $62k is much lower than first introduced.

I don’t see many negative comments from owners related to quality or performance. A few wish the steering were a little more attached to the road, but steering feel is a preference.

Enjoy your Jag!

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,194 Posts
Nope, financing. Too many issues with leasing in general.
Interesting:

Assuming a terrible residual after three years of just 50%, that would be $41,000 (50% of $82,000).

The Federal tax credit of $7,500 is thrown in the lease. Your cap cost is $62,000. Assuming 3% MF (interest rate) before sales tax the monthly payment would be $495.

If the residual was 45% the monthly payment would be $603 a month.

Both the $495 and $603 per month are with no money down - nothing out of pocket.

How does that monthly payment compare with the financed monthly payment + money you put down + sales tax?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice break down.
Didn't even request a lease quote, as most of the time they're a loss, and even if not, the savings don't compensate for fixed term contract, mileage limit, maintenance obligations, etc.
YMMV though.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Nice break down.
Didn't even request a lease quote, as most of the time they're a loss, and even if not, the savings don't compensate for fixed term contract, mileage limit, maintenance obligations, etc.
YMMV though.
Likewise with the e-tron SUV.
@acpower did you at least get to test drive an I-Pace?

It doesn't help that Jaguar is also performing poorly in most other segments. How often do any of you even see a Jag?

·
Registered
30 Posts

It doesn't help that Jaguar is also performing poorly in most other segments. How often do any of you even see a Jag?
Same limitations with any car lease contract.

Would be quite a bit of an insanity to be buying 60+K car w/o test-driving it, isn't it ?
All JLR dealers have at least one on demo. Also available on Turo in all major locations.
Obviously, yes, Jaguars are quite rare, but I would take it as an advantage, given that warranty is in place, and dealership with I-Pace trained technicians is 10 min away.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,221 Posts

Quite often if you go to a repair shop that specializes in British cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's why I said.
I-Pace has pretty clean record so far though, compared to another well known software company making cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts