Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of these would they actually sell in the face of MME AND the Model Y? There's always going to be the brand snob types but in a few months, no one with a half a brain is going to buy these.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nobody was buying them before the Y and E - why do you think they have to discount 2019's by $20k? Most of us just want affordable EV's with a good range, not the ridiculously short range econobox compliance cars or the ridiculously expensive luxury cars. As a luxury brand even Tesla struggled to sell very many EV's. It wasn't until the cheaper Model 3 hit the market that sales took off, making the company profitable for the first time. Sorry, but these ridiculous high end luxury BEV's are only hurting the market because they are giving the impression that "almost nobody wants EV's", when in fact many do - they just want reasonably priced EV's with good range. Even the Bolt that pioneered being the "EV for the rest of us" has to discount deeply now that the fed rebate is gone and it is in the same price bracket as the much nicer model 3. With the discounts, Bolt sales have done well even during a pandemic.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yea. All the reviews for the I-pace were super positive at first too.
I guess it just doesn't have the numbers though. And Jag is a very niche brand. If it was a cool looking Land Rover... well... that might be different.

Mercedes is also really struggling with it's electric SUV.

I gotta hand it to Ford... they got the marketing and the product spot on with this car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nobody was buying them before the Y and E - why do you think they have to discount 2019's by $20k? Most of us just want affordable EV's with a good range, not the ridiculously short range econobox compliance cars or the ridiculously expensive luxury cars. As a luxury brand even Tesla struggled to sell very many EV's. It wasn't until the cheaper Model 3 hit the market that sales took off, making the company profitable for the first time. Sorry, but these ridiculous high end luxury BEV's are only hurting the market because they are giving the impression that "almost nobody wants EV's", when in fact many do - they just want reasonably priced EV's with good range. Even the Bolt that pioneered being the "EV for the rest of us" has to discount deeply now that the fed rebate is gone and it is in the same price bracket as the much nicer model 3. With the discounts, Bolt sales have done well even during a pandemic.
Model 3 deliveries started in Q3 2017 but didn't really take off in volume until 2018 at which point they made a modest profit for a couple of quarters. I wouldn't call them a profitable company just yet. Although I do think they'll eventually become profitable, they've got a long ways to go and the competition for the sweet spot will get fierce. I feel the MME, while not exactly inexpensive, is the EV tipping point for traditional manufacturers. VW ID.3 will accelerate this and the R&D spending will basically go all in on EVs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts