Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Progress is still continuing as they get the plant ready for production. As I posted before, there were some key tools trapped in Dearborn when Covid-19 hit. Ford decided that they needed to make sure to get the pre-production vehicles out as close to on-schedule as possible, so they've been utilizing their plan B to get it done.

Total pre-production run of MMEs for testing and evaluation is about 300 units. Remember, these are for testing only and will be scrapped once testing is complete.

Unfortunately, tooling for two key body parts were still in Michigan. One of those is now in Cuautitlan and they will test stamping the parts out this week. That only leaves one stranded tool.

The plan continues that they will continue to produce that last part in Michigan, shipping the parts to Cuautitlan for assembly. That's fine for the pre-production but those cannot be sellable cars. Once pre-production is complete, the last tools will be shipped to Cuautitlan. My source suggests an August start for production. This i not a sure thing but July is certainly unlikely.

They're making progress with the line testing and increasing the number of workers on the line, heading up to around 300 line workers next month from the 200 working now (remember, a full line was originally planned to be around 1000).

They even have a Mustang Mach E driving around the facility for the first time.

Optimism is still high for US deliveries in late 2020.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
Strange, many components of the Mach E are manufactured by third party suppliers and shipped to Mexico anyway. This tool must be extremely large and critical to the stamping/moulding of key structural components.
Glad they are making progress.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Total pre-production run of MMEs for testing and evaluation is about 300 units. Remember, these are for testing only and will be scrapped once testing is complete.

Unfortunately, tooling for two key body parts were still in Michigan. One of those is now in Cuautitlan and they will test stamping the parts out this week. That only leaves one stranded tool.

The plan continues that they will continue to produce that last part in Michigan, shipping the parts to Cuautitlan for assembly. That's fine for the pre-production but those cannot be sellable cars. Once pre-production is complete, the last tools will be shipped to Cuautitlan.
Jeez, they have to scrap 300 preproduction units because they can't be sold! Seems like a waste. I know a couple have to be crash tested, but I wonder what are the regulations preventing the sale of the others. I'd love to have one for a decent price!

So the tool is used to produce a preproduction model part in Michigan that can't be sold. But the same tool shipped to Mexico and installed there can be used to produce production cars? WTF

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
Jeez, they have to scrap 300 preproduction units because they can't be sold! Seems like a waste. I know a couple have to be crash tested, but I wonder what are the regulations preventing the sale of the others. I'd love to have one for a decent price!

So the tool is used to produce a preproduction model part in Michigan that can't be sold. But the same tool shipped to Mexico and installed there can be used to produce production cars? WTF
The tool is probably used to produce a large part like body-panel that is costly to ship fully formed. so production can’t start till the equipment is down there.

the sale restriction probably has nothing to do with where the parts are made. Its more likely a liability thing as they are still pre-production builds. Being test runs of the assembly line, these units may have quality issues.

Some may replace the current test mules, used for software and OTA testing, crashed, endurance tested, and disassembled for analysis. Sacrificing these units will ensure better quality for the (hopefully) 100,000’s of production units to come in the next few years. It may seem like a waste, but there is only so much computer modeling can do before practical testing is needed.

Who knows, maybe a few will find their way to showrooms and trade-shows as display models around the world.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

they had already produced ~90 pre-production prototypes before the shutdown.

·
Registered
774 Posts

I would imagine a couple are going to be saved by Ford for their archives. Since it's such an important vehicle for them.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I thought I posted this Saturday:

I've just heard from my contact in Cuautitlan. Pre-production run is almost done and preparations for production are coming along well.

All of the Michigan-made parts have been shipped to Cuautitlan and the last parts for the pre-production units should be made this week, so assembly of pre-production units will be finished soon. Apparently some of the pre-production units may go to dealers to serve as demos. That means those of you waiting to decide will have a better chance to test drive one before you order.

With the last parts shipped from Michigan, the last tools are being prepped for shipment to Mexico. Those tools are scheduled to ship mid-month. They will then install, test and prep them for full production to begin. There are a few pre-production Mach Es driving around the plant now.

Folks are pretty well adjusted to to social-distancing and use of masks, face shields, and other personal protective equipment. Fingers crossed, they will have fully-staffed assembly lines once production begins. Full plant staffing is a bit under 2000.

Production may start by August (hurrah!). As they are produced, the cars will be stacked up in the parking lot as they await checking and approval. As part of the current plant construction, they are building new parking lots right now. Sorry, no estimate on the throughput of the factory, though. I may be able to get that once production gets going. We chatted about the fit and finish and other quality issues Tesla is having. My source said the Cuautitlan plant is "by far the pickiest plant Ford owns. They make sure everything is right." That was music to my ears!

As an aside, no problems from that recent earthquake but they did have to evacuate, including remembering to put on all their PPE!

So things are looking good to put the Mach E back on track.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I've just heard from my contact in Cuautitlan. Pre-production run is almost done and preparations for production are coming along well.

All of the Michigan-made parts have been shipped to Cuautitlan and the last parts for the pre-production units should be made this week, so assembly of pre-production units will be finished soon. Apparently some of the pre-production units may go to dealers to serve as demos. That means those of you waiting to decide will have a better chance to test drive one before you order.

With the last parts shipped from Michigan, the last tools are being prepped for shipment to Mexico. Those tools are scheduled to ship mid-month. They will then install, test and prep them for full production to begin. There are a few pre-production Mach Es driving around the plant now.

Folks are pretty well adjusted to to social-distancing and use of masks, face shields, and other personal protective equipment. Fingers crossed, they will have fully-staffed assembly lines once production begins. Full plant staffing is a bit under 2000.

Production may start by August (hurrah!). As they are produced, the cars will be stacked up in the parking lot as they await checking and approval. As part of the current plant construction, they are building new parking lots right now. Sorry, no estimate on the throughput of the factory, though. I may be able to get that once production gets going. We chatted about the fit and finish and other quality issues Tesla is having. My source said the Cuautitlan plant is "by far the pickiest plant Ford owns. They make sure everything is right." That was music to my ears!

As an aside, no problems from that recent earthquake but they did have to evacuate, including remembering to put on all their PPE!

Posting what?

·
Registered
60 Posts

Thanks for sharing these informations, although I'll have to wait a bit longer than you guys to get my MME. Do you know how many cars they are planning to built per day?
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing these informations, although I'll have to wait a bit longer than you guys to get my MME. Do you know how many cars they are planning to built per day?
Cheers
Paul
The guess has been about 1000 per day. That's based on a target of 50,000 cars per year, 52 weeks per year less holiday shutdowns. Ford hasn't announced any other vehicle production plans at Cuautitlan yet, so there's no need to set up a line or staff the plant for more.

Edited: meant 1000 per week! Sorry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The guess has been about 1000 per day. That's based on a target of 50,000 cars per year, 52 weeks per year less holiday shutdowns. Ford hasn't announced any other vehicle production plans at Cuautitlan yet, so there's no need to set up a line or staff the plant for more.
Thank you. Would be nice if they could reach those numbers. By the way... I really appreciate your contribution to this forum to keep folks like me well informed.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
Thank you. Would be nice if they could reach those numbers. By the way... I really appreciate your contribution to this forum to keep folks like me well informed.
The plant itself can handle about 240,000 per year at full production. So they should have no issues with the projected build quantities.
My only hope is that Ford will be able to obtain additional batteries if the MMe proves more popular than anticipated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You mean 1,000 per week, yes?

·
Registered
774 Posts

I didn't know the Cuautitlan plant was considered Ford's "pickiest plant". I wonder if it's because they're producing the Mach-E or if that's how they always are.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't know the Cuautitlan plant was considered Ford's "pickiest plant". I wonder if it's because they're producing the Mach-E or if that's how they always are.
I didn't ask but the important part is it further diminishes the odds we'll have the fit & finish problems plaguing the Model Y.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts