Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Update from Cuautitlan:

Great news: the last of the big tools has arrived from Michigan and will be set up this week. By August, they will start "production". I put production in quotes because you have to remember this is the Ford Motor Company Cuautitlan Stamping and Assembly Plant (CSAP). They start producing body panels soon (stamping). They'll start painting soon. Lots of things have to be made before assembly begins. That's the difference between "production" starting in August and Job #1 on October 26. They'll need all those frames, all those painted body panels, etc. in place.

Remember that we learned from
the early July FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin), that the production timetable for the 2021 Mustang Mach-E is:
  • 06/22/2020 - 2021MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 08/20/2020 - 2021MY Scheduling Begins
  • 10/26/2020 - 2021MY Job #1 Date
Order bank open - check

Scheduling: That's when they make sure they plan for all the parts in all the right colors, interior colors, styles, etc. for all the varied build options. Remember that Selects and First Editions have body colored mirror caps and Premiums and CA Route 1s have black mirror caps? All you Infinite Blue lovers will want all the needed body panels stamped and pre-painted in Infinite Blue. Of course, we can't forget all those battery packs from Poland, wheels of various types from wherever, and so on, and so on.

Sorry, my source didn't know anything about whether demo units will start assembly in advance of the customer units, so we're still left with guessing whether the fabled demo units coming to at least some dealers in September will be early full production units or will come out of the pre-production units being tested and driven now. I also don't have any more intel about the production rate at the plant. My source thinks it is capable of way more than 1000 units per week but we also should remember they produced 60,000 Fiestas per year in that plant.

BTW, the folks in Cuautitlan were as excited about the Mach E 1400 as we were. Nothing like a little enthusiasm builder to raise morale!

·
Super Moderator
692 Posts
Not really. Lots of parts for those 300 cars were made in Michigan and shipped down. They also didn't have the full line robotics up and running then, so it was a much more manual operation than when the line is really running.
Wonder if those 300 cars are what we see testing the battery and charging systems around the world?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Wonder if those 300 cars are what we see testing the battery and charging systems around the world?
Yes, that's exactly what they are.

First there were the strange test mules: black and white, white and black. Of course, we didn't start seeing those until after the reveal.

Then there were the limited number of show cars, used at Auto shows, the current Dutch Mach in a Box, and for the "test drives", mostly where professional drivers drove the press around. Also the few show cars used for photo shoots, etc. (including the snow demo).

All of those were hand-built prototypes.

We saw the first pre-production Mach E come out of Cuautitlan on February 19:

then early assembly photos in early March:

and bunches in the Cuautitlan parking lot in late March and wrapped for shipping in mid-April. All of these with proper paint jobs in standard colors.

These are the roughly 300 pre-production Cuautitlan units being used for testing, etc., with 95 produced before COVID-19 shut down the plant and the rest after they started running again.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts