Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my constant evolving research of the MME among other EV's part of it has to fall into maintenance cost EV vs ICE. And lets face it, some brands have more maintenance issues than others & some cost more than others. Now things break such as struts, etc, I'm not going to include them. Some maintenance like oil changes are every 5k miles & depending on the brand of car can run a couple hundred dollars or $60. If you keep your car vs lease like most Americans you tend to hold to them for about 10 yrs according to the latest info. I myself have a Lexus 2012 ISC 250 with 140k miles on it. Lexus is a VERY well built car & I feel lucky not to have put a lot of $$ into repairs except for a pair of rear struts after I hit a pot hole from hell.

I've made a list here that is constantly evolving and please feel free to contribute too. My knowledge of EV maintenance is limited so if there are any MME experts or Tesla owners please bless us with your knowledge of EV maintenance. As one person put in a chat room, how much maintenance can there be with batteries, wires & a electric motor. I tend to agree with him on this matter.

With that said ...

Maintenance Items

EV ONLY
Check wires & battery coolant, Over The Air "OTA" of software updates,

ICE ONLY
oil changes, engine air, oil, fuel filters, transmission flush, radiator flush, S-Belt replacement, spark plug/engine tune ups,

BOTH EV & ICE
Windshield wipers, cabin filters, brake fluid, tire rotation, visual inspection of motors, suspension,

Now I live in the AZ desert & replacing wipers isn't really a thing until they dry out & actually need to be replaced. The list of items that can break on a ICE is far more than a EV, i.e. water pump. And brakes on a EV will last far longer than an ICE due to regenerative breaking.

So does anyone have any thoughts, comments, items to add to the list?

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my constant evolving research of the MME among other EV's part of it has to fall into maintenance cost EV vs ICE. And lets face it, some brands have more maintenance issues than others & some cost more than others. Now things break such as struts, etc, I'm not going to include them. Some maintenance like oil changes are every 5k miles & depending on the brand of car can run a couple hundred dollars or $60. If you keep your car vs lease like most Americans you tend to hold to them for about 10 yrs according to the latest info. I myself have a Lexus 2012 ISC 250 with 140k miles on it. Lexus is a VERY well built car & I feel lucky not to have put a lot of $$ into repairs except for a pair of rear struts after I hit a pot hole from hell.

I've made a list here that is constantly evolving and please feel free to contribute too. My knowledge of EV maintenance is limited so if there are any MME experts or Tesla owners please bless us with your knowledge of EV maintenance. As one person put in a chat room, how much maintenance can there be with batteries, wires & a electric motor. I tend to agree with him on this matter.

With that said ...

Maintenance Items

EV ONLY
Check wires & battery coolant, Over The Air "OTA" of software updates,

ICE ONLY
oil changes, engine air, oil, fuel filters, transmission flush, radiator flush, S-Belt replacement, spark plug/engine tune ups,

BOTH EV & ICE
Windshield wipers, cabin filters, brake fluid, tire rotation, visual inspection of motors, suspension,

Now I live in the AZ desert & replacing wipers isn't really a thing until they dry out & actually need to be replaced. The list of items that can break on a ICE is far more than a EV, i.e. water pump. And brakes on a EV will last far longer than an ICE due to regenerative breaking.

So does anyone have any thoughts, comments, items to add to the list?
Supposedly less break work due to regenerative breaking.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The list of items that can break on a ICE is far more than a EV, i.e. water pump. And brakes on a EV will last far longer than an ICE due to regenerative breaking.
There's a coolant/water pump on a BEV, too. Not sure if it is more or less reliable than on a typical ICE mobile.

And the rear motor is packed with oil... But I'm guessing the replacement schedule is very infrequent.

If you're moving from a smooth accelerating Lexus to a sporty, fast get-go Mach-E, then maybe also consider the cost of regular tire replacements. Depends on how often you want to show off this car to your pals. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's a coolant/water pump on a BEV, too. Not sure if it is more or less reliable than on a typical ICE
If you're moving from a smooth accelerating Lexus to a sporty, fast get-go Mach-E, then maybe also consider the cost of regular tire replacements. Depends on how often you want to show off this car to your pals. :)
The coolant loop operates at a lower temperature than an ICE vehicle so the life of the pump should be longer.

The tire life of a BEV will probably be shorter due to weight and torque. The MME with dual motors and ER battery is probably going to be about 4,800 to 4,900 lbs and weight affects tire stress/life. A writer for Electrek who wrote about his Tesla Model X 3 yr lease said the tires on his heavy and high torque Model X barely made it to 10,000 miles before failing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The coolant loop operates at a lower temperature than an ICE vehicle so the life of the pump should be longer.

The tire life of a BEV will probably be shorter due to weight and torque. The MME with dual motors and ER battery is probably going to be about 4,800 to 4,900 lbs and weight affects tire stress/life. A writer for Electrek who wrote about his Tesla Model X 3 yr lease said the tires on his heavy and high torque Model X barely made it to 10,000 miles before failing.
Good point on the tires ... I would think that Ford is working with a OEM on tires for the MME ... handling, long life, etc. Tires on my Lexus ISC are 40,000 and they do. I can't rotate the tires because the rear tires are larger then the front tires. It's the way it was designed & not after market. I have a life time 4 wheel alignment so every time I get a oil change instead of rotating tires I get them rebalanced & a 4 wheel alignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts