Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-Cyber-Orange.jpg
In 2021, a number of new fully electric cars will go on-sale, some were originally due for 2020 but pushed back because of the impact of COVID-19. Now EV manufactures are scaling up production for a strong 2021 and beyond. Among them, these are the most exciting so far.

Ford Mustang Mach-E
Starting from $43,9000, this all-new Mustang SUV is reasonably priced and one of the most exciting EVs to come out so far. A first from Ford that will be joined by the electric F-150 later in 2021. The Mach-E is quick off the line (up to 3.5 seconds from 0-60 mph), capable of around 300 miles on a single charge, available with AWD, sporty and very practical.

Audi e-tron GT
Sharing the Taycan’s J1 will be another very exciting saloon from VW Group, the e-tron GT. Like the Taycan it resembles the concept and has set expectations high. Some include a 0-60 time of around 3 seconds, 80% state-of-charge (SOC) in 20 minutes, AWD, 800-volt platform, and pricing that undercuts the Taycan.

BMW i4
The i4 Gran Coupe will rival other electric mid-size sedans when it arrives later in 2021. It's the first. In concept form packs 530 horsepower thanks to a single electric motor, EPA range estimates around 300 miles, 0-60 under 4 seconds (similar to the Tesla Model 3), AWD and others. MSRP is estimated to start under $70,000.

Lucid Air
Priced from $70,000, the Lucid Air sedan is positioned to offer the best overall value when it arrives later this year. Making that possible is a level of luxury unlike any of its rivals, more than 400 miles of range, a 113.9 kWh 900-volt electrical architecture, up to 620 hp, and a DC fast charging system capable of 80% SOC in just 20 minutes.

Rivian R1S
Also starting from $70,000 is the Rivian R1S that brings traditional SUV utility and capability to the electric vehicle market. A first of its kind. When deliveries happen mid-2021, owners will get to experience its 300+ miles of range, up to 7,700 lbs of towing capacity, 3 second 0-60 time, quad-motor powertrain and seating for seven.

BMW iX
Orders for this first-ever BMW iX Sports Activity Vehicle start this year with deliveries in 2022. Unlike any BMW SUV, it has unique styling, a battery capacity of up to 113 kWh, 0-60 under 5 seconds, EPA-estimated range of 300 miles, up to 500 hp and DC fast charging that gets you around 75 miles in just 10 minutes.

Volkswagen ID.4
At $40,000, the ID.4 base model is among the cheapest and still includes a lot of exciting features, like an EPA-estimated range of 250 miles, 77.0 kWh available for charging, 201 hp and 228 lb-ft of torque, DC fast charging that gets you 80% SOC in under 40 min, three years free charging and lots of standard tech. Options include AWD, many attractive upgrade packages and styling configurations. A high performing ID.4 GTX model arrives this year with more power and a 0-60 around 6 seconds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
VW supposed to roll out the id.5 as well in late 2021 (at least in Germany).
Audi will bring the Q4 e-tron in late 2021, too. As long as COVID-19 will not impact these plans

·
Registered
633 Posts
Generically speaking.... Auto manufacturers are going to have to work really, really hard to differentiate their BEVs. With ICE cars, there was a LOT of restrictions (emissions) but also a LOT of room for unique design approaches, cylinders, valvetrain, fuel delivery (direct, throttle body or both), turbo, air intake, exhaust.... torque converter, transmission.... Not nearly as much variables for BEVs.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
209 Posts
Generically speaking.... Auto manufacturers are going to have to work really, really hard to differentiate their BEVs. With ICE cars, there was a LOT of restrictions (emissions) but also a LOT of room for unique design approaches, cylinders, valvetrain, fuel delivery (direct, throttle body or both), turbo, air intake, exhaust.... torque converter, transmission.... Not nearly as much variables for BEVs.
Have you seen the new Cadillac Celestiq glass roof with multi-user controls?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Have you seen the new Cadillac Celestiq glass roof with multi-user controls?
Yep and the Mercedes screen concepts as well... Those aren't enabled by a BEV. They could be in ICE cars as well.... We're always going to see advances in user interfaces, interior materials, etc... It's really hard to truly innovate these days. I think that's why everyone is keenly focusing on autonomous driving.

This is from 20 years ago...

·
Registered
943 Posts
VW supposed to roll out the id.5 as well in late 2021 (at least in Germany).
Audi will bring the Q4 e-tron in late 2021, too. As long as COVID-19 will not impact these plans
Great point.
Audi says pricing of the Q4 e-tron will start from $45,000 which when compared to the Mach-E is quite reasonable.
I like everything about it, right down to design.

It will be the next best looking electric SUV to the Mach-E, for now at least.

Audi Q4 e-tron Concept:
Audi-Q4-e-tron-Concept-01.jpg
Audi-Q4-e-tron-Concept-02.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
Great point.
Audi says pricing of the Q4 e-tron will start from $45,000 which when compared to the Mach-E is quite reasonable.

Audi Q4 e-tron Concept:
View attachment 3798 View attachment 3799
looks really good... Having owned an Audi and a VW, I'd been convinced that VW engineers are not capable of designing anything electrical. But that was years ago.... maybe they're better.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Great point.

Audi Q4 e-tron Concept:
View attachment 3798 View attachment 3799
It's built on the same MEB platform and is going to be an upscale ID.4. The interior, amenities, etc will be much nicer but the underpinnings will pretty much be the same. Not sure if Audi will include the 3 years of free unlimited EA charging though. Net... most of the interesting details are already out with the ID.4 reveal.

Hyundai to drop the Ioniq 5 next month. To me, that's the most interesting announcement based on the technical detail revealed thus far.

Mercedes? Meh... wake me up when they have a ground up design.
Wonder what BMW is up to?

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
It's built on the same MEB platform and is going to be an upscale ID.4. The interior, amenities, etc will be much nicer but the underpinnings will pretty much be the same. Not sure if Audi will include the 3 years of free unlimited EA charging though. Net... most of the interesting details are already out with the ID.4 reveal.

Hyundai to drop the Ioniq 5 next month. To me, that's the most interesting announcement based on the technical detail revealed thus far.

Mercedes? Meh... wake me up when they have a ground up design.
I thought it was a modified GLC retrofitted to be an EV. The battery pack is a custom layout to fit the chassis.

When we see it in the US is anyone’s guess. Right now, MB is only planning the EQA for the EU market.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,161 Posts
It's built on the same MEB platform and is going to be an upscale ID.4. The interior, amenities, etc will be much nicer but the underpinnings will pretty much be the same. Not sure if Audi will include the 3 years of free unlimited EA charging though.

Net... most of the interesting details are already out with the ID.4 reveal.

I have read that the Audi will only be AWD not FWD - but that could change.

Just like the Passat is similar to the Audi A5, the Tiguan is similar to the Audi Q5, and the Q5 is similar to the Porsche Macan, manufacturers can take similar chassis and drivetrains, change engines, fine tune the suspension and give them different driving experience - except for American:

There is little difference between a Ford Edge and a Lincoln MKX and a Chevy Suburban and a Yukon.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I thought it was a modified GLC retrofitted to be an EV. The battery pack is a custom layout to fit the chassis.

When we see it in the US is anyone’s guess. Right now, MB is only planning the EQA for the EU market.
I think it is on the smaller GLA not the GLC platform.

The GLA is quite small. The GLC is more the same size as the Audi A5, Ford Escape and the MME to name a few.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have read that the Audi will only be AWD not FWD - but that could change.

Just like the Passat is similar to the Audi A5, the Tiguan is similar to the Audi Q5, and the Q5 is similar to the Porsche Macan, manufacturers can take similar chassis and drivetrains, change engines, fine tune the suspension and give them different driving experience - except for American:

There is little difference between a Ford Edge and a Lincoln MKX and a Chevy Suburban and a Yukon.
I'd argue that's exactly what Ford is doing with the Mustang from the Select to the GT trim.
I still hem/haw about the MagneRide.

·
Registered
633 Posts
AWD for starting price of $45,000 would put it squarely in competition with Mach E's pricing.

(MEB platform is AWD or RWD.)
It'd be interesting to see how Audi differentiates the Q4 e-Tron. I don't think they're not going to price the Audi anywhere close to the VW where there's even a remote possibility of a choice between the ID.4 and the Q4.
ID.4 Pro AWD starts at $43,675 and the highest trim, the Pro S Gradient AWD is $49,675. I would expect the comparable Audi to be ~$10K more than that.

VW's expected range is 250 miles which I assume would be for the RWD version with AWD range somewhat lower than that. Possibly a chance the Audi might include a bigger battery but I doubt it. Not sure if Audi would include the 3 year unlimited charging at EA.

Big advantage the Audi has over the MME (and the ID.4) is snob appeal. There are people around my parts who would consider it well beneath them to drive a Ford. Not judging.... just the way it is. Likewise, IMO the Benz A-class is for people who just have to have that star. It's like an above ground pool.... Hey... we got a pool!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It'd be interesting to see how Audi differentiates the Q4 e-Tron. I don't think they're not going to price the Audi anywhere close to the VW where there's even a remote possibility of a choice between the ID.4 and the Q4.
ID.4 Pro AWD starts at $43,675 and the highest trim, the Pro S Gradient AWD is $49,675. I would expect the comparable Audi to be ~$10K more than that.

VW's expected range is 250 miles which I assume would be for the RWD version with AWD range somewhat lower than that. Possibly a chance the Audi might include a bigger battery but I doubt it. Not sure if Audi would include the 3 year unlimited charging at EA.

Big advantage the Audi has over the MME (and the ID.4) is snob appeal. There are people around my parts who would consider it well beneath them to drive a Ford. Not judging.... just the way it is. Likewise, IMO the Benz A-class is for people who just have to have that star. It's like an above ground pool.... Hey... we got a pool!
Yes and No:

The Audi has better interiors and feels more luxurious than the VW and it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Audi has a larger battery to give it longer range than the VW.

I agree with you that there will be a substantial price differential between the VW and the Audi. To justify that price differentia, Audi will need more than just a fancy interior to justify the price differential between the Q4 and the VW Id4.

Just my $.02.

BTW, I drive both an E450 and and a Ford Edge Sport: the E450 is quiet, comfortable and a joy to drive on long trips. It is luxurious and expensive. The Edge Sport is practical, reliable and value packed. I enjoy both for what they are!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes and No:

The Audi has better interiors and feels more luxurious than the VW and it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Audi has a larger battery to give it longer range than the VW.

I agree with you that there will be a substantial price differential between the VW and the Audi. To justify that price differentia, Audi will need more than just a fancy interior to justify the price differential between the Q4 and the VW Id4.

Just my $.02.

BTW, I drive both an E450 and and a Ford Edge Sport: the E450 is quiet, comfortable and a joy to drive on long trips. It is luxurious and expensive. The Edge Sport is practical, reliable and value packed. I enjoy both for what they are!
That E450 has one of the best inline 6 motors ever... My favorite ICE configuration going back to Chrysler slant 6 and my E20 BMW. I prefer it over the V8s actually (physics don't lie... 1st and 2nd harmonics in I6s are minimized).

We are borrowing the In-laws E350 as the 2nd car while waiting for our MME (Wife had to return here lease in Dec). Don't like that V6, prefer my Durango R/T hemi V8 both locally and on long trips. Honestly, I prefer Turbo I4s over the V6s.

Getting back on topic... Audi does have magnetic damper options. That could be the differentiator.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts