Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure about everyone else on the forum but I've never ordered a vehicle in its first production year. For those who have owned early model Fords or other vehicles, are you worried at all about getting one of the first Mach-E's to roll off the assembly line? I know EVs have fewer moving parts to worry about and there's OTAs but this is all uncharted territory for Ford.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm not sure about everyone else on the forum but I've never ordered a vehicle in its first production year. For those who have owned early model Fords or other vehicles, are you worried at all about getting one of the first Mach-E's to roll off the assembly line? I know EVs have fewer moving parts to worry about and there's OTAs but this is all uncharted territory for Ford.
I ordered a 2013 C-Max right off the assembly line. First year they made the car. Close to 90k miles on it without any issues. When I first got it there were some fit/finish things but the dealer had them sorted out.

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
On build quality, I have had four Fords in a row, a 2005 Explorer, a 2007 Edge (first year), a 2010 Fusion Hybrid (first year), and a 2018 Fusion Hybrid. All were solid, squeak and rattle free, with only the occasional minor issue.

I drove the 2010 Ford fusion hybrid for 8 years (115k miles), the build, battery and engine were practically the same as when i bought it. I only traded it in because I just wanted a new car at the time. I would have waited for the launch of the MMe had I known.

My 2018 Fusion is well-built, super quiet, and only requires maintenance every 12 months. Every aspect is Improved over its predecessor, especially the software in Sync 3. My car also does OTA updates when it is parked in my driveway and connects to my home network (although not as all-encompassing as the MMe’s OTA will be).

Ford is also taking advantage of all the available data and invention of the new EV players like Tesla and Rivian.

all that said, i feel we don’t have too much to be concerned about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On build quality, I have had four Fords in a row, a 2005 Explorer, a 2007 Edge (first year), a 2010 Fusion Hybrid (first year), and a 2018 Fusion Hybrid. All were solid, squeak and rattle free, with only the occasional minor issue.

I drove the 2010 Ford fusion hybrid for 8 years (115k miles), the build, battery and engine were practically the same as when i bought it. I only traded it in because I just wanted a new car at the time. I would have waited for the launch of the MMe had I known.

My 2018 Fusion is well-built, super quiet, and only requires maintenance every 12 months. Every aspect is Improved over its predecessor, especially the software in Sync 3. My car also does OTA updates when it is parked in my driveway and connects to my home network (although not as all-encompassing as the MMe’s OTA will be).

Ford is also taking advantage of all the available data and invention of the new EV players like Tesla and Rivian.

all that said, i feel we don’t have too much to be concerned about.
GOOD TO HEAR... I just loved the idea of the Mach-e and was willing to take a chance... besides I own Ford stock. :) RJ

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium Standard Range RWD Shadow Black
26 Posts
My personal experience is that is depends a lot on the specific car. I own a 2016 Flex, which was the 7th model year and the build quality was still poor (even though I love the car and will drive it into the ground). It had a lot to do with all the weird fasteners they used for things like door seals and chrome trim. Everything on the car is a little crooked. It is completely reliable, but there are cosmetic issues, if you go looking for them. From the pictures I have seen of Mach-E's so far, it looks like they have a much simpler body, so I would hope for better quality from the start (just my hope).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my (red) Mach-E a week ago. I love it. I was initially concerned over it being a first production but when I thought about it - it's electric so it doesn't have the mechanical problems of an internal combustion engine. Build quality is superb. The electronics are well done - just takes time tinkering with the large screen menu but it's intuitive. Love the small console in front of the steering wheel. (I think they improved on the single center console of Teslas). A solid drive and ride. As to the driving modes: Whisper is for those Eco-enthusiasts with less power and longer range but little or no regenerative braking. Unbridled is the opposite with more power, tighter steering and strong regenerative braking (no need to brake on a steep downhill grade - kind of like downshifting). Engage is in between and probably the best initial mode to start with since it drives like a non EV car. The phone access through the Fordpass app is nice but if you have your phone on the wireless charger and absentmindedly leave it behind, it's like giving the keys for any carjacker to drive it off. I still have to get used to shifting gears with a knob instead of a regular shifter. The intelligent cruise control is a winner. The lane avoidance works but is kind of herky-jerky with your hands off of the steering wheel (kind of like a little kid driving on Disneyland's Autopia) - not smooth but a nice safety feature. If a Mach-E is within your budget, get it - you won't be disappointed (except for the current recharging network). As to the recharging network, Tesla is the EV equivalent of Apple, they have firm control of its quality, standardization and reliability. Everyone else is like rest of the PCs. It should improve in the next year or so. Last thing - the federal tax credit is nice $$ as well as the California rebate.

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
209 Posts
The car is so quiet, the noise I do hear is taking me time to adapt to. I swear I hear a high pitched electronic sound when the car is on and I am stopped at lights or parked. I assume that is the government madated "safety" sound the car emits? And I hear the tire noise and motor sounds. It is very different to the noise I am used to in my old focus. The car definitely brakes differently. Gotta get used to that too. It has more momentum because of the extra weight, taking me some time to adjust. I put lane assist into alert mode, instead of aid, so I have more control over the jerky wheel motion I feel with the assist on.

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
The car is so quiet, the noise I do hear is taking me time to adapt to. I swear I hear a high pitched electronic sound when the car is on and I am stopped at lights or parked. I assume that is the government madated "safety" sound the car emits? And I hear the tire noise and motor sounds. It is very different to the noise I am used to in my old focus. The car definitely brakes differently. Gotta get used to that too. It has more momentum because of the extra weight, taking me some time to adjust. I put lane assist into alert mode, instead of aid, so I have more control over the jerky wheel motion I feel with the assist on.
The pedestrian sound only is active when the car is on and in any ‘gear’ other than park.
Some gave said they hear that sound from the small 10.5 inch screen, but not everyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My personal experience is that is depends a lot on the specific car. I own a 2016 Flex, which was the 7th model year and the build quality was still poor (even though I love the car and will drive it into the ground). It had a lot to do with all the weird fasteners they used for things like door seals and chrome trim. Everything on the car is a little crooked. It is completely reliable, but there are cosmetic issues, if you go looking for them. From the pictures I have seen of Mach-E's so far, it looks like they have a much simpler body, so I would hope for better quality from the start (just my hope).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree that it depends on the car model (translated: the more expensive it is, the better the build). Since Ford decided to make it a Mustang and since it is their entry to a full-electric vehicle, they put a lot of talent and $$ into it to hit a home run from the beginning - from the design (awesome) to the build quality (everything aligns perfectly) and ride/performance (exciting). I've had mine for a week and I have found nothing to complain about (except getting used to the "dial" shifter which loses the position sensory feedback of a standard shifter).

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
209 Posts
For me, I've had to get used to how much more momentum the car gets when moving. It is much bigger than the 4d sedan ford focus I had. So it stops very differently. Still driving it around some to try to get used to it. It also sounds very differently while driving it.

I agree that it depends on the car model (translated: the more expensive it is, the better the build). Since Ford decided to make it a Mustang and since it is their entry to a full-electric vehicle, they put a lot of talent and $$ into it to hit a home run from the beginning - from the design (awesome) to the build quality (everything aligns perfectly) and ride/performance (exciting). I've had mine for a week and I have found nothing to complain about (except getting used to the "dial" shifter which loses the position sensory feedback of a standard shifter).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts