Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that there's an L position on the Mach-E's gear selector.

Does anyone know what that's going to be for? It can't be for a low gear can it?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gear Selector

Registered
I guess it could be a low gear. Maybe something to do with regenerative brakes?
Perhaps we can track down a Ford person for an answer....

Registered
Not sure where Kelly Blue Book got this information, but...

"In the Mach-E, when you need a bit more deceleration (say, for an upcoming red light), you can press the L button in the center of rotary shifter to engage low range and slow the electric Mustang SUV a bit more without touching the brake pedal. Low range, for the record, is available in all three drive modes, but it doesn鈥檛 provide any more regen braking than what鈥檚 already tuned into the Unbridled mode."

Also from The Detroit News:

One-pedal driving. All electric cars use electric motors for regenerative braking to recharge the battery. Regeneration enables one-pedal driving 鈥 that is, lifting your foot off the accelerator slows the car. Want more aggressive regeneration? You can dial in more resistance in the Mach-E by pushing the a button in the middle of the rotary console shifter."

Registered
it is a simulated low gear, made for severe downhill grades.

From Ford Fusion Hybrid/Energi manual (which have the same shifter):
鈥淟ow (L)
  • Provides maximum engine breaking.
  • The transmission may be shifted into low (L) at any vehicle speed.
  • it is not intended for use under extended or normal driving conditions and results in lower fuel economy.鈥
This may also have a negative effect on battery range, the motor breaking would be fighting any acceleration. The maximum breaking does not disengage when you press the accelerator like it does in one pedal driving.

One-pedal driving would most likely be controlled in the 鈥淒riving Modes鈥 settings. Customizing the standard Whisper, Engage, or unbridled configs.

Registered
Not sure where Kelly Blue Book got this information, but...

"In the Mach-E, when you need a bit more deceleration (say, for an upcoming red light), you can press the L button in the center of rotary shifter to engage low range and slow the electric Mustang SUV a bit more without touching the brake pedal. Low range, for the record, is available in all three drive modes, but it doesn鈥檛 provide any more regen braking than what鈥檚 already tuned into the Unbridled mode."

Also from The Detroit News:

One-pedal driving. All electric cars use electric motors for regenerative braking to recharge the battery. Regeneration enables one-pedal driving 鈥 that is, lifting your foot off the accelerator slows the car. Want more aggressive regeneration? You can dial in more resistance in the Mach-E by pushing the a button in the middle of the rotary console shifter."
So the regen stays the same but the braking is more aggressive when your foot is off the accelerator?

Registered
That makes a lot of sense, I wouldn鈥檛 expect/want a lot of regen on unbridled mode.
It is my understanding that "Unbridled" mode has the most regen (slow down when releasing the accelerator pedal). "Whisper" has the least and "Engage" is the middle option. That is the only difference with the modes, unless I am mistaken. I haven't heard about any other differences.

I feel like it is pretty misleading because my intuition would be that the three driving modes would relate to "performance vs economy" priorities. Unbridged being the worst on range/efficiency, but offering the highest performance and "whisper" being the opposite, but I don't believe that is the case.

Personally I think I would just prefer to keep it on "whisper" mode all the time so that I have more control over when I want to engage the "regenerative braking" instead of having it happen automatically when really I just want to "coast". Though I think that is really something that needs to be experimented with to see what "feels" right.

The reason "L" doesn't do anything when in Unbridled is because unbridled is like having the L gear on all the time. They are the same thing.

Registered
It is my understanding that "Unbridled" mode has the most regen (slow down when releasing the accelerator pedal). "Whisper" has the least and "Engage" is the middle option. That is the only difference with the modes, unless I am mistaken. I haven't heard about any other differences.

I feel like it is pretty misleading because my intuition would be that the three driving modes would relate to "performance vs economy" priorities. Unbridged being the worst on range/efficiency, but offering the highest performance and "whisper" being the opposite, but I don't believe that is the case.

Personally I think I would just prefer to keep it on "whisper" mode all the time so that I have more control over when I want to engage the "regenerative braking" instead of having it happen automatically when really I just want to "coast". Though I think that is really something that needs to be experimented with to see what "feels" right.

The reason "L" doesn't do anything when in Unbridled is because unbridled is like having the L gear on all the time. They are the same thing.
from what I've read and interviews I've seen the modes do change the responsiveness, handling, and sound effects. Where did you read that the L mode does nothing I whisper?

Registered
from what I've read and interviews I've seen the modes do change the responsiveness, handling, and sound effects. Where did you read that the L mode does nothing I whisper?
I didn鈥檛 say L does nothing in whisper. I said L does nothing in unbridled because that mode already does the maximum regenerative braking when the pedal is released.

I don鈥檛 know if there are other changes/defaults; I have not heard any specific mention of anything beyond the regenerative braking levels. I have heard that the sounds can be adjusted or turned off independently from driving modes.

Registered
On the BoltEV the D mode is for more normal driving experience without aggressive braking/regen. The L mode is reallly for one pedal driving as releasing the accelerator automatically engages regen braking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts