Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this video that shows how quiet the Mach-E is inside. In this one the Mach-E registered between 66-68 dB at 72 mph.

In comparison the Model Y has been recorded at 75 dB+ when driving at 70 mph.

·
Registered
960 Posts
That 7~9 DB is huge. MME is basically slightly louder than a normal conversation at 3ft. Like having a meal in a somewhat quiet restaurant.

·
Super Moderator
2,288 Posts
That 7~9 DB is huge. MME is basically slightly louder than a normal conversation at 3ft. Like having a meal in a somewhat quiet restaurant.
Mistake me if I am wrong. But the DB scale is not linear like temperature is, but an order of magnitude. So something 9 DB higher not just 9 equal units higher, but is nine times as loud as the lower sound.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Mistake me if I am wrong. But the DB scale is not linear like temperature is, but an order of magnitude. So something 9 DB higher not just 9 equal units higher, but is nine times as loud as the lower sound.
Technically correct... in the old days we used to equate of 3dB increase in "loudness" with 2x increase in power.
But in terms of perception and hearing damage/loss, the type of noise and the length of exposure has more to do with it. For example, well powered, tube amplification, stereo systems played loud with even harmonic distortion tend not to be harsh (even pleasing). Odd harmonic distortion can be painful even at low levels played out of a boombox. But to be on topic, 9 dB is well beyond perceptible even for old guys like me.

·
Super Moderator
2,288 Posts
Technically correct... in the old days we used to equate of 3dB increase in "loudness" with 2x increase in power.
Now, why did you have to say ‘old days’ 😕
But to be on topic, 9 dB is well beyond perceptible even for old guys like me.
There’s that old again :(
I assume you mean the range from 0 to 9 dB, then yes.

When I mentioned 9 dB, its because thats how much higher the noise level was in the Model Y over the Mach-E. A magnitude of 9.

As a point of reference, ~60 dB is ‘normal’ conversation levels, prolonged exposure to sound 80 dB and higher can damage your hearing (my tinnitus confirms)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts