Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that plans on properly testing out their Mach-E's performance and handling when they get it ?.

With that being said, does anyone have recommendations for a good set of performance tires? What's everyone's go to brand/model?

In the past I've used Continental ContiSportcontact 2's and they've been alright, but I think I want to switch things up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have started using Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires but I live in an area where we get some bad weather. They also offer a UHP summer called the Vorti both sold on Tire Rack. Based on the way they perform I would recommend.

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
Something to keep in mind, that any wheel/tire size and type changes will most likely negatively impact your mileage (Change to contact patch, change of roll-resistance, heavier unsprung weight). So research carefully to reduce compromise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In most cases, you can improve performance with a wheel & tire combo. The biggest thing people don't think about is the weight. My last car a Ford Fusion PHEV I went from the factory 18" wheel and tire combo Michelin Energy & factory wheels to the Quatrac Pro in a 245/40/19 and lightweight ACE wheels. The new wheel/tire combo weighed about 8lbs each less and it made a huge difference in handling. The new all-weather tires are low rolling resistance but not as low as the Michelin Energy however with the reduction in weight the car seemed to accelerate quicker and corner better. Also, I did not notice a difference in fuel economy.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Something to keep in mind, that any wheel/tire size and type changes will most likely negatively impact your mileage (Change to contact patch, change of roll-resistance, heavier unsprung weight). So research carefully to reduce compromise.
That's a really going point. I recall reading about this with the Tacyan. Just swapping out the tires delivered a very noticeable change in overall range.

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
In most cases, you can improve performance with a wheel & tire combo. The biggest thing people don't think about is the weight. My last car a Ford Fusion PHEV I went from the factory 18" wheel and tire combo Michelin Energy & factory wheels to the Quatrac Pro in a 245/40/19 and lightweight ACE wheels. The new wheel/tire combo weighed about 8lbs each less and it made a huge difference in handling. The new all-weather tires are low rolling resistance but not as low as the Michelin Energy however with the reduction in weight the car seemed to accelerate quicker and corner better. Also, I did not notice a difference in fuel economy.
True, all i’m suggesting is people do their homework.

I love ace alloys, and other mfr carbon fiber wheels. i could never afford the 10k-15k hit per set.

With EVs, range is drastically affected if you are not careful. the model Y performance takes a 35 mile hit on range of you opt for the 20” or 21” uber rims, as per tesla.

The MMe GT trim has a redesigned front fascia that has air dams to help compensate for the use of 20” rims, as per Ford interview at launch.

The standard and premium fascias look identical, so i don't think going from 18” to 19” would make too much difference, although tire width will.

In the end, to each driver, their own MMe! Cant wait to see the pics with your new rims!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely didn't consider that, thanks for pointing that out. Do you know of any tires/wheels that are more EV friendly?

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
I have to do more research, i am sure there are better tires for EVs that also improve performance. But, as usual, they come at a premium $$$
Same with the wheel rims.
We would need to know the actual tire part number that will be on the production MMe to do proper research.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts