Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top Gear takes issue with the Mustang name. WIll the Mustang name be an issue when the broader public sees the Mach-E on the road, or do you think the Mustang badge is not going to matter? Interesting that in the UK Mustang = low tech while the Mach-E is undoubtedly a high tech machine

But is it a Mustang? It certainly hints hard at it with the thrusting bonnet and light signatures. But this is badge engineering – it doesn’t feel or drive like a V8 Mustang in any way. We understand the reasoning and positioning – it’s a cool brand and helps Ford justify the money it needs to charge to turn a profit.

...And come to think of it, in the UK at least the perception of Mustang is of a relatively low tech muscle car
mach-e top gear review

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
204 Posts
Top Gear certainly freaked out because the Mach E wasn't like an ICE Mustang. A strange, picky reviewer.

Three out of four reviews I read so far complained about the brakes. This seems to be a major problem area. Everything else seems to be rating well in the reviewing flood this morning.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
1,213 Posts
Top Gear certainly freaked out because the Mach E wasn't like an ICE Mustang. A strange, picky reviewer.

Three out of four reviews I read so far complained about the brakes. This seems to be a major problem area. Everything else seems to be rating well in the reviewing flood this morning.
I was surprised by the brakes issue since it's a relatively 'low tech' thing. Remember that Consumer Reports originally stated that the Tesla had a longer stopping distance than pick-up trucks until Tesla did an OTA update and shortened the stopping distance.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
I was surprised by the brakes issue since it's a relatively 'low tech' thing. Remember that Consumer Reports originally stated that the Tesla had a longer stopping distance than pick-up trucks until Tesla did an OTA update and shortened the stopping distance.
I think its not proper to call it a brake issue, that makes it sound like there is a defect.

I am used to Ford’s blended brakes, I’ve been using similar systems of theirs for 10 years. I wonder if its just a matter of unfamiliarity, like people adjusting to 1-pedal driving.
I wish I could take a test drive to see if this is the case.

Reactions: TxTom

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think its not proper to call it a brake issue, that makes it sound like there is a defect.

I am used to Ford’s blended brakes, I’ve been using similar systems of theirs for 10 years. I wonder if its just a matter of unfamiliarity, like people adjusting to 1-pedal driving.
Good question. My Energi brakes different when it's wet outside. The blending. But yeah, I'm used to it and it's no big deal.

Hopefully this is addressed with a future OTA update.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I agree. I came from a (non-EV) car that had a reputation for touchy brakes and it was all much ado about nothing. Sometimes auto journalists will make a big deal out of a small issue on a great car - got to have some bullets for the cons list. Especially if the issue affects something that's handled differently to mainstream cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts