Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's cool to see it in action out on the roads.

You can also see the taillight in this video at the Mach-E reveal in Hawthorne, California back in November.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is how the Mach-E's sequential rear turn signals light up.

View attachment 420
Assuming that's a left turn signal, why are the lights on the right side also blinking (in red)?

Almost looks like they're going for a full sliding arrow with increasing intensity across the entire back. But from a safety standpoint it could be deceiving. ANY blinking light on the other side could be confused, especially if the other side of the vehicle has it's view blocked.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Assuming that's a left turn signal, why are the lights on the right side also blinking (in red)?

Almost looks like they're going for a full sliding arrow with increasing intensity across the entire back. But from a safety standpoint it could be deceiving. ANY blinking light on the other side could be confused, especially if the other side of the vehicle has it's view blocked.
I think it's the Mach-E's LED lights that are making it look like it's blinking on the right side. You see that in other videos with cars that have LEDs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think it's the Mach-E's LED lights that are making it look like it's blinking on the right side. You see that in other videos with cars that have LEDs.
Not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean it's an optical illusion (i.e. that the lights on the right side aren't blinking red)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean it's an optical illusion (i.e. that the lights on the right side aren't blinking red)?
Not an optical illusion per se, but an effect of being recorded on camera.

LED lights being driven by a switching power supply or dimmed via PWM get pulses of voltage and not a continuous voltage. This frequency (and the resulting flickering of the LED) is too quick for the human eye to catch, so we see a continuous light.

However, cameras record a specific number of frames per second and depending on how the camera's FPS number relates to the power supply's frequency, it might happen that several frames record the point where the light is at a lower intensity and some other at the higher intensity. As a result, you see the light flickering in the video.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not an optical illusion per se, but an effect of being recorded on camera.

LED lights being driven by a switching power supply or dimmed via PWM get pulses of voltage and not a continuous voltage. This frequency (and the resulting flickering of the LED) is too quick for the human eye to catch, so we see a continuous light.

However, cameras record a specific number of frames per second and depending on how the camera's FPS number relates to the power supply's frequency, it might happen that several frames record the point where the light is at a lower intensity and some other at the higher intensity. As a result, you see the light flickering in the video.
Ah, I get what you mean. So what we may be seeing is the steady red brake lights. But the flickering frame rate makes it appear that they're blinking when they're really not. That makes more sense. I'd hate to see them actually blink any lights on the wrong side of the car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ah, I get what you mean. So what we may be seeing is the steady red brake lights. But the flickering frame rate makes it appear that they're blinking when they're really not. That makes more sense. I'd hate to see them actually blink any lights on the wrong side of the car.
Yeah that would be a huge issue if they actually blinked on the wrong side of the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts