Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
A truck frame is no longer required to categorize a car as an SUV, Crossovers with unibodies have been accepted as a category of SUVs for years. Name an important characteristic that the Model Y or Mach E doesn't share with other compact SUVs such as the Audi Q5, BMW X3, or Acura RDX. Does the Model Y not qualify because it is a bit longer to allow more aerodynamic shape and an optional 7 seat configuration? This debate is silly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO
You predict the Model Y and Mach-E will be in the same category and it will be SUV. Sounds reasonable as a prediction.
JTK predicts the Model Y and Mach-E will be in the same category and it will not be SUV. That's reasonable as a prediction.
I predict the Model Y and Mach-E will be in the same category and either you or JTK will be correct. I don't know.
Seems unlikely the Model Y and Mach-E will not be in the same category, but I guess it is possible.

I prefer comparing the Model 3 to the Model Y. They are essentially the exact same car in so many ways but one is a hatchback with a bit more storage space. (Edit: They are more similar to two trims of the same car). Most people cannot even tell the difference when staring at one. They may be more alike than even the Bolt EV vs Bolt EUV. Guess those two are a similar situation.

I'm just curious what aspects of the vehicle will be in the definition that make it an SUV but the nearly identical sibling Model 3 not so: height, weight, hatchback vs trunk... but they will seek to draw a line somewhere, lol.
Because they have been selling them as SUVs since their inception. Long before they thought about this new law.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Select AWD | Iconic Silver
178 Posts
Because they have been selling them as SUVs since their inception. Long before they thought about this new law.
Are you predicting the IRS and Secretary of Transportation will treat any EV which its manufacturer names "SUV" to become officially categorized as an SUV for the $7500 tax credit? That would be great.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you predicting the IRS and Secretary of Transportation will treat any EV which its manufacturer names "SUV" to become officially categorized as an SUV for the $7500 tax credit? That would be great.
Yes I am, it's not like the law popped up and then they said oh we better change our cars names to SUVs beat the system. They've been calling him SUVs all along and some states have specific registrations that say their SUVs as opposed to cars

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Select AWD | Iconic Silver
178 Posts
Yes I am, it's not like the law popped up and then they said oh we better change our cars names to SUVs beat the system. They've been calling him SUVs all along and some states have specific registrations that say their SUVs as opposed to cars
Good point. The states’ DMV has ignored what the car company named the vehicle, my state is sticking with “station wagon” as the category for the Mach-E, which isn’t wrong really.

·
Super Moderator
3,074 Posts
Since this is a Federal credit, The EPA size-class is what IRS will probably reference. There is no EPA classification for ‘Crossover’. Nor does the EPA have a requirement that an SUV be body-on-frame. There are passenger, cargo, and weight guidelines, but little else.

The Model Y and Mach-e are considered ‘Small SUVs’. This would mean they would fall under the $80k cap.

For comparison of similar size vehicles (and confusion), the Nissan Rogue is a ‘Small Station wagon’ and Murano is considered ‘Midsize Station Wagon’. These are ‘Car’ classes. And for arguments-sake, if they had NA built electric models, would be limited by the $55k cap.

Why the difference? Its how the manufacturers filed with the EPA. It will be interesting to see if Nissan opts to register the Ariya as a station wagon or SUV.

For kicks, the earliest use of the term ‘Sport Utility’ I could find was from 1947:

41 - 48 of 48 Posts