Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Do you want the optional engine noise feature?

• yes

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • no

Votes: 18 51.4%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its optional and Ford says customers will be able to turn off the engine sound.
  • There’s an option on the upcoming Ford Mustang Mach-E for the all-electric vehicle to broadcast engine noises into the cabin.
  • The engine noises sound like they’re coming from the front of the vehicle but it’s actually coming from the car’s speakers.
  • Ford did this to make the new all-electric crossover feel more like a Mustang.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its optional and Ford says customers will be able to turn off the engine sound.
  • There’s an option on the upcoming Ford Mustang Mach-E for the all-electric vehicle to broadcast engine noises into the cabin.
  • The engine noises sound like they’re coming from the front of the vehicle but it’s actually coming from the car’s speakers.
  • Ford did this to make the new all-electric crossover feel more like a Mustang.
I dont like this feature. I will most definitely turn it off. People need to stop trying to make an electric engine sound like a muscle car engine. You dont see Teslas piping Ferrari-like sounds into their cars lol.

I ordered mine and will not use this feature. I dont like that it makes external noise at all but APPARENTLY the car has to make noise so you know its coming towards you in a parking lot.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@lwillliams0514 I completely agree and think everyone viewing this thread should vote on the poll above. It will show Ford that they need to focus on things that actually add value to the MME. I understand the pedestrian reason but beyond that its irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
I'll comment on the article here rather than on the other thread on the CNBC piece. They don't really make clear if it is an option to be purchased or an option for engine/no engine. My take is that it's an option built into the software that allows the computer to mimic the sound of an ICE engine at various torque/"Revs". As long as it is something which can or can not be utilized then I see no harm. I certainly prefer it to the Tesla "FART" sound on their car's computer.🤧

·
Registered
15 Posts
@lwillliams0514 I completely agree and think everyone viewing this thread should vote on the poll above. It will show Ford that they need to focus on things that actually add value to the MME. I understand the pedestrian reason but beyond that its irrelevant.
unfortunately I think this is required by regulation. The EU made automakers add the noise to new cars by Sept 2020 and the US followed suit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
unfortunately I think this is required by regulation. The EU made automakers add the noise to new cars by Sept 2020 and the US followed suit.

That's part of the confusion. The outside noise is required but it is different from the inside fake engine noise which can be turned off. And most likely will not turn back on on vehicle restart because Ford already stated all this stuff will be stored in your profile matched to you phone.

I don't understand all the outrage. I'm glade they did this. I may like it, I don't know yet. But they gave people an option.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
When a car interior is so silent, is fast and nimble, you end up going faster than you realize.

The sounds give you a sense of the speed and acceleration. They are not fake ICE sounds by the way, its a composition that makes some sort of rumbling electric motor sound, I surmise from descriptions made by those that have heard it (from ‘making of’ video and subsequent Ford Engineer interviews).

I’m sure a sound-byte will be released when the factory wheels start turning.

Good thing for those that don’t care for it: Its a touch of the screen away from being shut off entirely.

I still want the old Starship Enterprise warp engine sound as I accelerate.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, the internal “enginish” sound and the external alert sounds are very different both aurally and legally.

The external alert sound cannot be turned off. It’s on whenever the car is in “drive” or reverse from 0 to a predetermined speed. In the EU/U.K. that speed is 19 kph (12 mph). In the USA the speed the sound stops at is 18.6 mph (30 kph). The EU law has been in force for about a year.

In the USA, a law was passed in 2010 requiring a study as to whether the lack of noise from ev’s represented a hazard to pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. If such a determination was made (and it was) rules were required to be adopted. Those rules are fully phased in this September.

Neither set of rules dictate the type of noise, just when the noise must be made. The external alert noise stops at the above speeds all the time without your input. It’s a safety thing.

The internal “engine” noise people are discussing here and there is neither required nor prohibited. It’s just a nice feature we can either turn off or on. Personally I like quiet. Though a downloadable engine noise pack would be cool ... for about 15 minutes. ;)

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
127 Posts
Yeah I wonder how many actually want the optional engine noise. Added a poll.
Poll language was a little ambiguous. Yes, I 'care' about the engine noise feature, because I need to know if I can avoid it completely and turn it off at will. Do I want it? No, not at all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Poll language was a little ambiguous. Yes, I 'care' about the engine noise feature, because I need to know if I can avoid it completely and turn it off at will. Do I want it? No, not at all.
Right, I care about the engine noise feature, because I want to have an emotional connection to the car and get that sense for acceleration and speed.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
127 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ford should take a page out of Porsche's book and create a sound unique to the Mach-E, not pumping fake V8 noise in the car. If it's an option I'm not going to get it and if it's standard I'm going to turn it off or make it as quiet as possible.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts