Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Brings back some memories from a thousand years ago when I worked in the automotive industry.

Not sure if this is the case anymore but back in the day the window sticker was the first item/part/thing to be manufactured for a vehicle. Orders come in from the dealers, the window sticker is printed, put in a plastic sleeve and that is what follows the frame/chassis through the manufacturing process and was the instructions for the assembly workers on what parts/accessories they needed to add to the vehicle. At the end, the sticker was taken out of the sleeve and placed on the window.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
88 Posts
Here's an example of what the Mach-E's window sticker could look like.

This is one is for a Rapid Red Mach-E Premium with AWD and the Extended Battery.

View attachment 2850
I love the profile of the Mach-E :D

I wish though that they would use normal human being type and words. What is "SYNC(R)4A W/EVR & 15.5" SCRN" supposed to mean... I don't know what "EVR" is or why I should care it's on the car. Why not "15.5" Screen with SYNC 4A" which I think is more how a human would read it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It seems that EVR is all they could fit in the space provided, as shorthand for AM and FM radio, SiriusXM with 360L, physical/rotary volume knob, wired/wireless Apple CarPlay compatibility, wired/wireless Android Auto compatibility, predictive activities, and Enhanced Voice Recognition ("OK, Ford!").

In all seriousness, it looks to me like they're just calling out two of the top-level input/output modalities associated with SYNC 4A. It's touch screen display size, and it's speech recognition-based assistant.

The rest of the feature listings are comprehensible, yes?

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
88 Posts
It seems that EVR is all they could fit in the space provided, as shorthand for AM and FM radio, SiriusXM with 360L, physical/rotary volume knob, wired/wireless Apple CarPlay compatibility, wired/wireless Android Auto compatibility, predictive activities, and Enhanced Voice Recognition ("OK, Ford!").

In all seriousness, it looks to me like they're just calling out two of the top-level input/output modalities associated with SYNC 4A. It's touch screen display size, and it's speech recognition-based assistant.

The rest of the feature listings are comprehensible, yes?
Not to normal people. Go look at how other brands write their stickers, they use upper and lower case letter, completely spelled out words, and features that actually sell the car.

"IP CLSTR 10.2" DIGTAL SCRN"

As opposed to... a non-digital screen? What exactly would an analog screen look like, that a customer would be confused and need to know that this 10.2" screen is specifically digital? Do customers say they look at the "IP CLSTR" to see their speed, or do they look at their "gauges?" I know I've never used the term "IP CLSTR" in conversation.

Would you rather:
"IP CLSTR 10.2" DIGTAL SCRN" or
"10.2" Driver Information Display"

This looks like it was written by an engineer, for an engineer. Not for a customer.

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
Not to normal people. Go look at how other brands write their stickers, they use upper and lower case letter, completely spelled out words, and features that actually sell the car.

"IP CLSTR 10.2" DIGTAL SCRN"

As opposed to... a non-digital screen? What exactly would an analog screen look like, that a customer would be confused and need to know that this 10.2" screen is specifically digital? Do customers say they look at the "IP CLSTR" to see their speed, or do they look at their "gauges?" I know I've never used the term "IP CLSTR" in conversation.

Would you rather:
"IP CLSTR 10.2" DIGTAL SCRN" or
"10.2" Driver Information Display"

This looks like it was written by an engineer, for an engineer. Not for a customer.
They would abbreviate that as well to:
10.2 DID W/CST DR MDS

See? So easy to understand. It must be you. 😆

·
Registered
2017 Bolt -> Mach-E Premium
6 Posts
I think I might see my first "disappointment" The Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror. I was hoping they would introduce a rearview camera mirror, something similar to what GM has.

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
I think I might see my first "disappointment" The Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror. I was hoping they would introduce a rearview camera mirror, something similar to what GM has.
Sounds like a good suggestion to the Ford aftermarket division

·
Registered
13 Posts
The rearview camera integrated into the rearview mirror is one feature I will really miss from the Chevy Bolt!

If someone offers an aftermarket unit, I will buy and install it..

It is that good.....

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rearview camera integrated into the rearview mirror is one feature I will really miss from the Chevy Bolt!

It is that good.....

Jim
I agree Jim, it might be the best feature in my Bolt ;) and it's a generation one mirror. I've found a few aftermarket products since yesterday, but haven't seen any of them in person yet.

·
Registered
240 Posts

It is that good.....

Jim

Aftermarket unit? Nah.... Software? Yes!

Cameras are already there. No reason why the portion of the front or center screen couldn't be assigned to the rear or side cameras. In fact, the way I would prefer it to display what's going on in the rear or the side (blind spots) only when there's a presence of a vehicle, pedestrian., bicycle... in those locations.

Personally I don't like the rearview or the side mirrors. I know they have to be there by law but really cameras + sensors are cheaper these days and most cars have a display. Anybody who's clipped a mirror off their car are shocked to find out what a replacement costs but once the housing, the controls + motors for adjustment, the heating element are accounted for, they ain't exactly cheap. Fancier cars have motorized mirrors that automatically fold when parked as well. A HD camera with a heater and a washer nozzle would be at least comparable in cost (less in my estimate).

I also think the paradigm shift of feature/function improvements through OTA updates are going to take some time for people to grasp and embrace (Tesla leads the way here) but the possibilities are very exciting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aftermarket unit? Nah.... Software? Yes!

Cameras are already there. No reason why the portion of the front or center screen couldn't be assigned to the rear or side cameras. In fact, the way I would prefer it to display what's going on in the rear or the side (blind spots) only when there's a presence of a vehicle, pedestrian., bicycle... in those locations.

Personally I don't like the rearview or the side mirrors. I know they have to be there by law but really cameras + sensors are cheaper these days and most cars have a display. Anybody who's clipped a mirror off their car are shocked to find out what a replacement costs but once the housing, the controls + motors for adjustment, the heating element are accounted for, they ain't exactly cheap. Fancier cars have motorized mirrors that automatically fold when parked as well. A HD camera with a heater and a washer nozzle would be at least comparable in cost (less in my estimate).

I also think the paradigm shift of feature/function improvements through OTA updates are going to take some time for people to grasp and embrace (Tesla leads the way here) but the possibilities are very exciting.
The great thing about the rearview "mirror" becoming a monitor, is that you've already trained eyes to stay on the road with brief glances to the rearview "mirror" location. I've seen the rearview display in the Tesla, it's nowhere near the same as what GM has already laid out, and honestly why I'm not already driving a model X.

I fully agree with your side mirror comments too, I'm sure at some point we'll have everything in one location, like the augmented reality version in the near future.

But to your point, if there is an aftermarket camera mirror that would use the existing cameras, washer system, then that's even more appealing, at least to me, but not sure if the current rear cameras would be angled correctly.

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
The great thing about the rearview "mirror" becoming a monitor, is that you've already trained eyes to stay on the road with brief glances to the rearview "mirror" location. I've seen the rearview display in the Tesla, it's nowhere near the same as what GM has already laid out, and honestly why I'm not already driving a model X.

I fully agree with your side mirror comments too, I'm sure at some point we'll have everything in one location, like the augmented reality version in the near future.

But to your point, if there is an aftermarket camera mirror that would use the existing cameras, washer system, then that's even more appealing, at least to me, but not sure if the current rear cameras would be angled correctly.
Now that the cameras are integrated into the automated systems, i would not recommend hooking any thrid-party add-on to them. The mirror would have to come from/be approved by Ford.

The rear-view mirror position is much higher and inclusive that the reverse camera, which is closer to ground level. Using the existing rear-view cameras take some getting used to. A camera at the roofline would be better suited.

Unless we were using the interface incorrectly, In the MMe you can put the rear-view camera up on the display. but it shuts off and goes back to whatever screen you were looking at after about a minute.

Does Ford have a suggestion box for add-ons?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,117 Posts

The bad thing about turning a mirror into a monitor is the dramatic change in your eyes’ focal length between the two.

When driving, your eyes are focused too “infinity”. Using an actual mirror your eyes use the same near-infinite focal length. A monitor requires refocusing down to about 2 feet. For those who are far-sighted have limited close focus, they may need prescription lenses to focus so close. For those wearing glasses, they may need to shift to their close focus of bifocals, generally found at the bottom of the glasses.

This is one reason some people hate monitor type mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
The bad thing about turning a mirror into a monitor is the dramatic change in your eyes’ focal length between the two.

When driving, your eyes are focused too “infinity”. Using an actual mirror your eyes use the same near-infinite focal length. A monitor requires refocusing down to about 2 feet. For those who are far-sighted have limited close focus, they may need prescription lenses to focus so close. For those wearing glasses, they may need to shift to their close focus of bifocals, generally found at the bottom of the glasses.

Interesting, never thought of that.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I thought it would be a problem, but it is amazing how fast your eyes get used to looking at the monitor in the rearview mirror.

And the field of view is so much better!

I really prefer it to the regular mirror now!

BTW, I am VERY nearsighted....

Jim

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I drove a relatives car that has one of the camera mirrors and I did have to adjust to get used to them. I don't think I'd use it regularly, only when I'm carrying a lot of stuff or if the weather is bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts