Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the Netherlands we had some negative electric car news. How is that in your country ?
in the Netherlands we have a lot of charge-points and currently about 100.000 phev and bev.

topics where :
  • not enough capacity at the local grid At peak moments, so charging can only at 50%. One Tesla charging uses as many electricity power as 10 households.
  • when on a skiing trip there are large waiting cue’s of (dutch) Tesla’s -> Privacy settings
  • dutch former minister calls ev drivers asocial when using so much electricity.
  • potential fire hazard when ev charges in appartement buildings. Building regulations are not up to it. Fire brigade does not have right equipment, only 1 salvage company has it.
  • repair costs for ev twice that of ice cars.

·
Registered
561 Posts
There's no shortage of negative news about electric cars in the US.

Usually it's about the environmental impact of producing EVs, but this example I found talks about how EVs are apparently bad for American roads...

·
Registered
30 Posts
In the Netherlands we had some negative electric car news. How is that in your country ?
in the Netherlands we have a lot of charge-points and currently about 100.000 phev and bev.

topics where :
  • not enough capacity at the local grid At peak moments, so charging can only at 50%. One Tesla charging uses as many electricity power as 10 households.
  • when on a skiing trip there are large waiting cue’s of (dutch) Tesla’s -> Privacy settings
  • dutch former minister calls ev drivers asocial when using so much electricity.
  • potential fire hazard when ev charges in appartement buildings. Building regulations are not up to it. Fire brigade does not have right equipment, only 1 salvage company has it.
  • repair costs for ev twice that of ice cars.
I haven't heard of power grid issues in the USA, as most EV users charge at night when power demand is already low, supply is plentiful, and rates are cheap (no AC, less businesses open, more people sleeping and not using power). I can see that being an issue in places where charging is more popular during the day.

Someday charging during the day could be a good thing if solar power is built up. One of the big downsides to solar is that you need a way to store all of that energy gathered during the peak sunlight hours (large banks of expensive batteries). If people instead charged their cars during the peak sunlight hours, it would make solar cheaper by not needing to have as many central batteries... instead we would have a distributed network of batteries in cars. During cloudy days, charging can be skipped by most people who have short commutes and enough reserve power.

Increased adoption beyond single family homes with garage is a big challenge for EV adoption; hopeful there will be more options in the near future for urban areas and multi-unit dwellings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't heard of power grid issues in the USA, as most EV users charge at night when power demand is already low, supply is plentiful, and rates are cheap (no AC, less businesses open, more people sleeping and not using power). I can see that being an issue in places where charging is more popular during the day.

Someday charging during the day could be a good thing if solar power is built up. One of the big downsides to solar is that you need a way to store all of that energy gathered during the peak sunlight hours (large banks of expensive batteries). If people instead charged their cars during the peak sunlight hours, it would make solar cheaper by not needing to have as many central batteries... instead we would have a distributed network of batteries in cars. During cloudy days, charging can be skipped by most people who have short commutes and enough reserve power.

Increased adoption beyond single family homes with garage is a big challenge for EV adoption; hopeful there will be more options in the near future for urban areas and multi-unit dwellings.
we have enough electricity in general but in certain older neighborhoods the cables cannot handle the total power and new and heavier cable’s are needed. This should not be a problem in newer suburbs. at 5 to 6 pm everybody comes home and starts charging, electric cooking etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
There's no shortage of negative news about electric cars in the US.

Usually it's about the environmental impact of producing EVs, but this example I found talks about how EVs are apparently bad for American roads...

Wow, the doomsayers. Misinformation probably spread by big-oil and an industry afraid of change.

Around 2% of all cars sold in US in 2019 were electric. In fact, less were sold in 2019 vs 2018. The total EVs on the road account for less 2% of all vehicles.*

That said, the US has a long way to go before the States are hurting because of gas-tax revenues falling. If the States could see that in 15-20 years this could start becoming an issue, then they should cut inefficiencies and use better road surface material now so they have to do less maintenance and repair later.

*http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/usa/

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
we have enough electricity in general but in certain older neighborhoods the cables cannot handle the total power and new and heavier cable’s are needed. This should not be a problem in newer suburbs. at 5 to 6 pm everybody comes home and starts charging, electric cooking etc.
Please correct me if i am mistaken, i believe your country’s recent laws are causing the surge in need for EVs. If so, maybe the government can help those older communities get the infrastructure upgrades to support the thousands of Mach E’s you will be buying :)

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
892 Posts
This sort of anti-electric messaging is classic of the 4 Ds of anti-climate change disinformation: dismiss the message, distort the facts, distract the audience, and express dismay at the whole thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts