Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I searched and could not find a clear answer.

I have maxed out my house breaker and can only use a 14-50 wall outlet on a 30 amp breaker. My question is has anyone used the Mach-E plug (came with car) in a 30 amp outlet? Will the car allow it to pull 24 amps or will it just deny charging because it is not a 32amp charge?

I will order the Grizzl-E charger that allows changing the amps but until it arrives I would still like to charge my car.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am charging on a 30amp dryer outlet with no problems. I had to get an adapter to plug into the outlet, it was different than the one supplied by Juicebox or Ford but it works fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I read this last year and figured it still applied, while they talk about the wall outlet and not the supplied cable I figured the car can only charge at the rate the outlet allows. Thanks again for confirming.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The car will only pull what it needs and there should be settings on your chosen charger letting it know the max output. A 30 amp charger isn't going to charge as fast as 50 amps but it works for me and it's always charged by morning. I think I get 22 miles per hour and I rarely need to charge when there's less than 50 miles of range left.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have maxed out my house breaker and can only use a 14-50 wall outlet on a 30 amp breaker. My question is has anyone used the Mach-E plug (came with car) in a 30 amp outlet? Will the car allow it to pull 24 amps or will it just deny charging because it is not a 32amp charge?

I will order the Grizzl-E charger that allows changing the amps but until it arrives I would still like to charge my car.

Thanks in advance.
Please do not do this. The Ford Mobile charger that comes with the car pulls 32A and it will overload the circuit. There is a real chance you could burn down the house. The car and the supplied charger have no way of knowing that the circuit is undersized for the load. Wait until you have an EVSE that you can dial down to 24A.

·
Registered
"Shadowfax" 2021 Star White Select AWD
16 Posts
Why is your breaker maxed out and you can only have 30 amp? Is it due to the gauge of your wiring? Like devmach-e said, the car is going to pull the power it wants no matter what your house is set up for. So if it is limited to 30 amps for whateve reason, you will either trip a breaker or start a fire.

9 Posts
Yes, please do not use the Ford mobile charger to plug-in to a 30 amp circuit. I purchased a Shell recharge charger that allows me to set it to a maximum output to enable charging from a 30 amp circuit. You shouldn't have a 14-50 outlet on a 30 amp circuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks in advance.
[/QU
Yes, please do not use the Ford mobile charger to plug-in to a 30 amp circuit. I purchased a Shell recharge charger that allows me to set it to a maximum output to enable charging from a 30 amp circuit. You shouldn't have a 14-50 outlet on a 30 amp circuit.
Just don't be surprised when you have a fire and the inspectors finds that the cause is overheated wiring to your charger...but hey, as long as you got the cash, don't worry about the insurance not paying out because of it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
by definition you CAN'T put a nema 14-50 plug on s 30 amp breaker, it's not to code. Can you wire a 14-50 plug to a 30 amp breaker, sure, but do you want to? I know grizzle makes a splitter evse that works with drier plugs (30amp) some have had success with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies.

To update the house wiring it is 10K, hence why I said I was maxed out.

I will wait until the Grizzly-E to come in before I have any plugs installed to ensure I have the correct one without Blowing up the house.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I have a 200amp service and has a 50amp breaker installed and use the 240 charger that came with the mach e. Works great and adds 20 miles a he. Never a problem. Cost of install cost $1000 ...ran 10 GA wire 60 ft with commercial 15-40 outlet and about 20 ft metal conduit. Very professional install. My wife's GTP has winter 100 charged range 240 and use home charging 100pct of the time.. Our cost is only .056 kWh with west Penn elect. In western Pa. Check mtg on min. breaker reqts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies.

To update the house wiring it is 10K, hence why I said I was maxed out.

I will wait until the Grizzly-E to come in before I have any plugs installed to ensure I have the correct one without Blowing up the house.
$10K to update the house wiring sounds a little suspicious. Does that mean replacing the main panel with a bigger one and rewiring every outlet in the house? Paying for a larger feed from the street?

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,912 Posts
I have a 200amp service and has a 50amp breaker installed and use the 240 charger that came with the mach e. Works great and adds 20 miles a he. Never a problem. Cost of install cost $1000 ...ran 10 GA wire 60 ft with commercial 15-40 outlet and about 20 ft metal conduit. Very professional install. My wife's GTP has winter 100 charged range 240 and use home charging 100pct of the time.. Our cost is only .056 kWh with west Penn elect. In western Pa. Check mtg on min. breaker reqts.
Are you certain that the wire is #10? When my 50A breaker was installed, the electrician used #6 gauge which is recommended/required.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,912 Posts
#10 will handle 30A draw
#8 40A draw
#6 55A draw
#10 will handle 30A draw
#8 40A draw
#6 55A draw
That's correct, the wire can handle it which is why it needs to be on a compatible breaker so that the breaker will trip to protect the wire especially over 60ft of length. #10 wire should be on a 30A breaker. See below:
What Size Wire Do You Need for a 50-Amp Breaker? (Explained) | Home Inspection Insider
Can you put a 50-amp breaker on a 10-gauge wire?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
$10K to update the house wiring sounds a little suspicious. Does that mean replacing the main panel with a bigger one and rewiring every outlet in the house? Paying for a larger feed from the street?
Yes, rewiring the main breaker installing a 200 amp for the house and replacing 2 inch pipe with 3 inch. This is also Hawaii prices so it might only be a few grand in the mainland states but here on the island the prices are crazy.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just follow the advice here and get a wall connector that can be set to charge at 24-amps. It would be the least expensive solution that is safe with a 30-amp breaker and your current wiring. 24-amps are plenty for overnight charging.

I'm really surprised that you can't set the charge rate in the car or with the app like I can in my Model Y.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, rewiring the main breaker installing a 200 amp for the house and replacing 2 inch pipe with 3 inch. This is also Hawaii prices so it might only be a few grand in the mainland states but here on the island the prices are crazy.
What is the size of the current feed to the house? 100A? Did the electrician do a load calculation to see if it is possible to replace some 120V single-pole single breakers with duplex ones to free up space in the panel? I am able to to charge my car on a 125A feed. On the other hand I don’t have air conditioning. I do have a gas stove, gas water heater, and gas dryer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts