Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
999 Posts
This sounds like something our Dutch buyers should check out when they go to see the cars. Even the Mach-in-the-Box would tell us part of the story.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still love the design but now that I learned about how it can be a disadvantage I'm not sure how to feel about it

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
Which could be a design flaw creating an expensive repair situation in case of an accident.
Wat do y'all think about this
Most modern car and CUV designs have a minimal rear bumper. I only think trucks and true SUVs still have the good old bumpers.

Both these cars have technology to prevent you from backing into things, so the wall example is flawed.

The Tesla Model Y flaw, however, is that the bottom edge of the hatch is way too low, lower than the usual front bumper. It would be damaged if a car bumped you parking, or a slow roll in traffic.
See the height difference of the hatch bottom edge in this picture:

I think Tesla designed the car for a low-load height of the rear bed. Other manufacturers that tout this usually protrude the rear bumper further than the bottom of the hatch.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
At this point in the game what you see is what we'll get. With the backup camera shouldn't be a big issue unless rear ended and then hopefully the other driver is insured.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I remember reading something about the Y not having a sensor to prevent the rear hatch when raised from hitting an overhead. Wonder if the MMe will have something like a sensor.

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
At this point in the game what you see is what we'll get. With the backup camera shouldn't be a big issue unless rear ended and then hopefully the other driver is insured.
As an example, If you look at your Fusion rear bumper, it just barely sticks out from the trunk lid. I have the same year as you.

A Mercedes did a pretty hard bump in line at the drive-thru about a month ago (texting on his phone and rolled into me) slow roll, no damage other than tiny paint damage from his front plate. The model Y hatch would have dented. The MMe, with the bottom of the hatch higher and set back, would not.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
As an example, If you look at your Fusion rear bumper, it just barely sticks out from the trunk lid. I have the same year as you.

A Mercedes did a pretty hard bump in line at the drive-thru about a month ago (texting on his phone and rolled into me) slow roll, no damage other than tiny paint damage from his front plate. The model Y hatch would have dented. The MMe, with the bottom of the hatch higher and set back, would not.
You're correct, I just took a look and there is just enough of a protrusion to put the bumper in front of the deck. Not by much,

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't think it really matters in the whole scheme of things though...
Even a light bump on the bumper that results on the bumper having to be repainted will exceed the deductible on most policies. I recently got rear ended at low speed and it was ~$1,100 to replace the bumper cover and paint. So at that point... having to replace the lift gate is a waste of metal and glass but cost wise to the insurer, what difference does it make unless the insurance companies push up the premium on the repair-ability?

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
721 Posts
The difference is functionality: If you get a bump on the bumper, you can still use the car until you get it repaired. If the hatch, again I am thinking more of the Model Y than the MachE, is dented you cannot use the hatch - either it will not close or open until you get it fixed.

If it requires the replacement of the hatch, especially with Tesla, a new part could take months. Hopefully, the wait for replacement parts with the MachE will be much shorter, but with only 50,000 units, 20,000 to the entire US, availability of replacement parts might be problematic.

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
After a few months in production, replacement parts should get easier with the MMe.

Tesla’s issue is, they are trying to get as many new units out the door, and are not prioritizing replacement parts. In other words, once i have your money, you matter little to the Tesla company—customer satisfaction be damned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think it really matters in the whole scheme of things though...
Even a light bump on the bumper that results on the bumper having to be repainted will exceed the deductible on most policies. I recently got rear ended at low speed and it was ~$1,100 to replace the bumper cover and paint. So at that point... having to replace the lift gate is a waste of metal and glass but cost wise to the insurer, what difference does it make unless the insurance companies push up the premium on the repair-ability?
Rear tailgate is actually plastic so chance of dent is lessened and more likely only require paint touch up with a low speed impact.

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
Rear tailgate is actually plastic so chance of dent is lessened and more likely only require paint touch up with a low speed impact.
I checked my Fusion yesterday. The rear face of the trunk-lid is made of the same material as the bumper, and is mounted on a metal subframe. Probably something similar on the MMe?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
999 Posts
Hmmmm. Looks awfully close to me.

View attachment 1945
If you do have to fix that rear hatch panel, here's some news: it's plastic.

I didn't realize how common that has now become until I googled it:
Design for the growing liftgate market
Nissan Rogue, Accura RDX, Jeep Cherokee, and who knows who else.

Not only is this much lighter for the electric assist, it also aids the embedded radar sensors as they don't need special ports.

Don't plan to put any magnetic stickers on the back of your e-Pony.

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts

Not only is this much lighter for the electric assist, it also aids the embedded radar sensors as they don't need special ports.

Its also cheaper to repair.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts

Rear trunk lid on my Fusion is a very light weight plastic

1 - 20 of 23 Posts