Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
BTW... WRT styling. It's a matter of personal taste but most folks here prefer the MME over the Model Y obviously.

IMO the design/styling that the MME really trumps the Model Y is the bit that I have to look at while driving the vehicle, the interior. I understand that Tesla is going for the minimalist approach but I think they've crossed over the line to sparse/cheap look.

·
Read Only
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Carbonized Gray
7 Posts
I totally get it! I don’t disagree. I want to wait and see...

But even with CarPlay/Android support, more torque, physical buttons, and build quality on Ford’s side... Ford’s gotta do SOMETHING bc a $200/mo difference (lease) is gonna be a deal breaker for 80% of people - including me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am kinda starting to wonder this also. I could get my $500 back and walk across the street to Tesla and place my order. Why pay $750/mo. when I can pay $500/mo??? Price is the most important factor. The MME looks way better, but the Y is cheaper.
I prefer cheaper.
With Tesla it is probably better to not get the early build models. Elon tends to rush the production at the expense of quality. They do seem to get the defects fixed eventually. There was a writer for Electrek who had some major problems with his Model X like his falcon wing doors opening and closing randomly even while driving. One owner even had his dog killed when he was ejected from the open door on his model X while driving. Another problem was his main screen going completely blank a month before the end of his lease. He decided to just live with the problem! Tesla did eventually find and fix the door problems but what other car company could get away with that shit. And yet Tesla owners just love their cars. Hopefully when they are not the only game in town they can be held more accountable for the build issues. End of rant.

·
Registered
77 Posts
With Tesla it is probably better to not get the early build models. Elon tends to rush the production at the expense of quality. They do seem to get the defects fixed eventually. There was a writer for Electrek who had some major problems with his Model X like his falcon wing doors opening and closing randomly even while driving. One owner even had his dog killed when he was ejected from the open door on his model X while driving. Another problem was his main screen going completely blank a month before the end of his lease. He decided to just live with the problem! Tesla did eventually find and fix the door problems but what other car company could get away with that shit. And yet Tesla owners just love their cars. Hopefully when they are not the only game in town they can be held more accountable for the build issues. End of rant.
Link to Model X problems story:

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
21 Posts
To me, free charger hardware would be the best incentive. Other companies include the charger, upping the ante here.

·
Registered
MME Premium 4X Rapid Red
154 Posts
To me, free charger hardware would be the best incentive. Other companies include the charger, upping the ante here.
Are you talking about the wired charger? The MME DOES come with the charger included (Portable charger)

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
I am kinda starting to wonder this also. I could get my $500 back and walk across the street to Tesla and place my order. Why pay $750/mo. when I can pay $500/mo??? Price is the most important factor. The MME looks way better, but the Y is cheaper.
I prefer cheaper.
If you just want an electric car at the cheapest price, there are other manufacturers with decent range even cheaper than the Tesla lease. Like the Kia Niro EV, Hyundai Kona EV. Heck, you can get the Chevy’s and Nissan at discount right now. Or if you can wait until next year there will be even more cheaper models to choose from.

If you put in a reservation, you can just cancel and get it back. If you put in a $500 down payment, then appeal to the dealership for its return. You may or may not get it back.

IMHO, The Mustang Mach-E outshines the Tesla in so many ways. Its almost starting to feel that the MMe is upmarket to the Model Y, it is out-classing it.
The MMe has superior design, style, quality, functionality, and ergonomics. It should also be better with overall performance and handling for realistic everyday driving (but that needs to be tested). Its driver assist features work independently of ADAS, or in conjunction with it. Ford may also surprise us with its automated driving because of Fords involvement with Argo AI and MobilEye.

Even considering areas where Tesla has a big advantage, battery tech and charging network, it is only individual circumstance where these come into play. This becomes a moot point in the comparison unless you have frequent need for a supercharger, like you drive long distances every day or have no place to put home charing.

Then there is the esoteric value, driving the Mustang would make me happy. I would be disappointed every time i saw a Tesla in my driveway and had to sit behind the wheel, because i knew i had settled for it.

Again, just my opinion on things.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
360 Posts
If you just want an electric car at the cheapest price, there are other manufacturers with decent range even cheaper than the Tesla lease. Like the Kia Niro EV, Hyundai Kona EV. Heck, you can get the Chevy’s and Nissan at discount right now. Or if you can wait until next year there will be even more cheaper models to choose from.
IMO, comparing a Tesla Model Y and/MMEto the Kia, Hyundai, Chevy or Nissan is like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing these cars have in common with the Tesla and MME are four tires, a steering wheel and electric power.

We do not compare a BMW, Mercedes or Audi with a Ford, Chevy or Toyota. Why would we compare the Kia or Hyundai with either the Tesla or MME?

IMHO, The Mustang Mach-E outshines the Tesla in so many ways. Its almost starting to feel that the MMe is upmarket to the Model Y, it is out-classing it.
The MMe has superior design, style, quality, functionality, and ergonomics. It should also be better with overall performance and handling for realistic everyday driving (but that needs to be tested). Its driver assist features work independently of ADAS, or in conjunction with it. Ford may also surprise us with its automated driving because of Fords involvement with Argo AI and MobilEye.
I prefer to wait until the actual arrival of the MME to see if the quality, functionality and ergonomics are indeed better than the Model Y. Personally from all I have read, Tesla is 3 to 5 years ahead of everyone in technology. I would be happy with equality with Tesla. I doubt Ford is ahead of Tesla in technology.

As to performance and handling: From everything I have read and seen on YouTube the handling and performance of the LR AWD Model Y is a truly outstanding. If you are expecting better, you may be disappointed. As with technology, I would be quite happy to have the performance of the Model Y in the MachE

Then there is the esoteric value, driving the Mustang would make me happy. I would be disappointed every time i saw a Tesla in my driveway and had to sit behind the wheel, because i knew i had settled for it.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but again I prefer to wait and see the MachE in person.

For me, and again my opinion only, I prefer both the interior and exterior styling of the MachE vs. the Model Y, and I hope the quality control is better on the MachE vs. the Model Y.

But keep in mind that first year production cars are notorious for deficiencies that are corrected in later model years. It may be unrealistic to think that "out of the box" the MachE will not have teething problems.

Finally, I intend to lease as I think many will do likewise: Presently the lease on a Model Y is over $200 a month cheaper, after taking in Federal Tax credit and NYS sales tax. For me that price differential will be a deciding factor.

Hopefully between now and when the my First Edition arrives, Ford will come up with a leasing plan (regardless of what is called) where the monthly payments are equal to or less than the Model Y.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
IMO, comparing a Tesla Model Y and/MMEto the Kia, Hyundai, Chevy or Nissan is like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing these cars have in common with the Tesla and MME are four tires, a steering wheel and electric power.

We do not compare a BMW, Mercedes or Audi with a Ford, Chevy or Toyota. Why would we compare the Kia or Hyundai with either the Tesla or MME?

I prefer to wait until the actual arrival of the MME to see if the quality, functionality and ergonomics are indeed better than the Model Y. Personally from all I have read, Tesla is 3 to 5 years ahead of everyone in technology. I would be happy with equality with Tesla. I doubt Ford is ahead of Tesla in technology.

As to performance and handling: From everything I have read and seen on YouTube the handling and performance of the LR AWD Model Y is a truly outstanding. If you are expecting better, you may be disappointed. As with technology, I would be quite happy to have the performance of the Model Y in the MachE

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but again I prefer to wait and see the MachE in person.

For me, and again my opinion only, I prefer both the interior and exterior styling of the MachE vs. the Model Y, and I hope the quality control is better on the MachE vs. the Model Y.

But keep in mind that first year production cars are notorious for deficiencies that are corrected in later model years. It may be unrealistic to think that "out of the box" the MachE will not have teething problems.

Finally, I intend to lease as I think many will do likewise: Presently the lease on a Model Y is over $200 a month cheaper, after taking in Federal Tax credit and NYS sales tax. For me that price differential will be a deciding factor.

Hopefully between now and when the my First Edition arrives, Ford will come up with a leasing plan (regardless of what is called) where the monthly payments are equal to or less than the Model Y.
again, it is all my opinion, and opinions differ.

my referencing cheaper vehicles was only to point out there are more cost-effective options to both the MMe and MY, if cost is the biggest concern.

As far as handing and performance. I do say the MMe had to be tested. In everyday driving, 4.8 and 5.5 are equivalent as is top speed #’s in excess of 90mph. i don’t drive on a track, not what i am buying this vehicle for. As for Handling, Ford also has decades of racing experience over Tesla, just like in manufacturing, so do expect it to be as good or better.

on quality? Even with the few issues of the new explorer launch, they are minimal and few compared to what Tesla pumps out. Ford wouldn’t have even started production if the panels were out-of-whack like the Tesla Y. So i also expect a higher quality out of the gate.

on tech outside of the battery? I have seen way more advanced systems in action, like MobilEye, which doesn’t mistake an overturned trailer as the horizon, nor mistake burger king for stop signs. They are not more advanced than others, just the most advanced accessible to the public. This will change in the next two years.

IMHO, believe you will be one of the many pleasantly surprised.

Again, i’m not trying to sell anyone on the MMe, just Listing the reasons I decided to purchase one. I will fight for the best deal possible when it comes time in three months. We have to wait and see what will be offered.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Update:

If you live in New York (I do) keep in mind that the $2,000 NYS tax credit requires that the MSRP be below $60,000, excluding destination fees.

·
Registered
72 Posts
But even with CarPlay/Android support, more torque, physical buttons, and build quality on Ford’s side... Ford’s gotta do SOMETHING bc a $200/mo difference (lease) is gonna be a deal breaker for 80% of people - including me.
Actually, I think Ford’s real problem will be not having nearly enough production this first year to meet the sales demand for the Mach-E.

Remember, there are only a total of 20,000 Mach-E’s for N.A. probably about 15,000 of these for the US.
With about 2,200 EV Certified Ford Dealers in the US --- that is less than 7 per dealer average.

I think by even this coming Jan, dealers will be telling potential Mach-E buyers --- sorry, but early reservation holders sucked up most of the production and the remainder is already gone.
2022 is the earliest I can get you in one now.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
450 Posts
Actually, I think Ford’s real problem will be not having nearly enough production this first year to meet the sales demand for the Mach-E.

Remember, there are only a total of 20,000 Mach-E’s for N.A. probably about 15,000 of these for the US.
With about 2,200 EV Certified Ford Dealers in the US --- that is less than 7 per dealer average.

I think by even this coming Jan, dealers will be telling potential Mach-E buyers --- sorry, but early reservation holders sucked up most of the production and the remainder is already gone.
Great, I just contacted my MD to double my next Xanax prescription and my therapist has recommended throwing out all of the sharp objects in my home😖

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts

50,000 total was the promised worldwide target, based on promised battery commitment.

We have no clue at the moment if Ford has gathered more battery commitment from LG. Many manufacturers have postponed their EV plans by one year, potentially freeing up battery production.

If no other batteries can be aquired, what may happen is a delay in GT availability in order to meet the demand of the other trim levels.

Also, if ford was truly sold out of 2021, they would need to announce that.

Just my musings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, if ford was truly sold out of 2021, they would need to announce that.

Just my musings.
I agree, I don't think they are sold out yet --- don't Premium reservation holders have until the end of the year to make the conversion to order?
But, I do think after that and with demo / show room cars now on the floor at the dealers --- the few 2021's remaining will go fast, probably some snapped up by the dealers themselves.

·
Registered
360 Posts

You may be right or Ford may be overplaying their hand.

I just played a round of golf with the owner of both a Jaguar and Audi dealerships: He is sitting on so many 2019 Jaguar I-Pace and Audi Etrons that he does not know what to do with them. He cannot discount them enough to move them off his lot.

He asked me about my MachE and I told him about the problems with the Ford Option Plan.

Presently the lease for a Model Y, 3 years no money down, 10,000 miles per year is $633 vs. $801 for the Premium LR AWD MachE, even after the putting down $7,500, the Federal tax credit. The MachE has additional sales tax vs. the Model Y of more than $3,000.

His comments were that Ford better get their act together, as Tesla completely dominates the BEV market and once a person has a Tesla they do not switch. His problem selling is that both the Jaguar and Audi sells for thousands more than the Model 3 and Y. If the MachE costs and/or leases out for more than the Model Y, he predicts they will fall the same fate as his I-Pace and Etrons - they will remain on the dealer's lots.

Again, just someone else's $.02.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I agree, I don't think they are sold out yet --- don't Premium reservation holders have until the end of the year to make the conversion to order?
But, I do think after that and with demo / show room cars now on the floor at the dealers --- the few 2021's remaining will go fast, probably some snapped up by the dealers themselves.
I'm thinking of starting a thread WHY EVERYONE SHOULD CANCEL THEIR MMe PURCHASE . This would go along way to ensure my getting in this year. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
I'm thinking of starting a thread WHY EVERYONE SHOULD CANCEL THEIR MMe PURCHASE . This would go along way to ensure my getting in this year. :unsure:
So mean!

If you put your down-payment in July, you will most likely get your car this year.

You should be getting your confirmation on manufacturing by the end of this month (8/20/20), according to the original schedule published.

Breath, meditate, and sit tight a few more weeks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just played a round of golf with the owner of both a Jaguar and Audi dealerships: He is sitting on so many 2019 Jaguar I-Pace and Audi Etrons that he does not know what to do with them. He cannot discount them enough to move them off his lot.
Financing and Option/Lease costs will be determined by the interest rates in place when you take delivery of the vehicle which for even the First Editions won’t be until at least in October --- still a ways down the road.

Current auto loan rates are very low, especially if you have access to a Credit Union loan and I would expect them to remain low for the remainder of the year.

I don’t expect Ford dealers will have a problem with unsold Mach-E’s on their lots in 2021. :)

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
689 Posts
There are people still ordering MMEs without reservations, while folks are still holding reservations ahead of them and waiting to convert. They're clearly not out of cars yet.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
So mean!

If you put your down-payment in July, you will most likely get your car this year.

You should be getting your confirmation on manufacturing by the end of this month (8/20/20), according to the original schedule published.

Breath, meditate, and sit tight a few more weeks.
To Quote from the Moody Blues "OM" is now my Mantra

41 - 60 of 62 Posts