Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, nice to meet you. Hoping this forum gets as much action as M6G.

I placed my reservation for the GT trim about a week ago. I've been a mustang enthusiast my whole life, from an 86 foxbody 5.0, to an 04 40th anniversary GT, to my current car, which is a fire breathing hell raising 2015 GT with the performance pack and power pack level 2 from ford performance, among other mods.

I worked in sales at Tesla for a while (mostly on solar side, but did quite a bit on the vehicle side as well), so I'm super excited for the transition to EVs and very familiar with them.

It's been an agonizing decision to sell my current 5.0, not to mention having to choose between the mach-e and a performance Tesla. But i feel I'm making the right choice for a number of reasons I won't bore you with. Basically I feel like Ford aimed the mach-e at a demographic that lands with a bullseye squarely on my forehead lol.

Anyway, again nice to meet you guys.

Alex
Houston, TX

This + That = Mach-E
IMG_5122 (1).jpg

·
Registered
244 Posts
Welcome! That's QUITE the transition. Will be very curious to see what you think of the Mach-E vs the Teslas you've experienced.

And lately, this place is bumping!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's one of my biggest curiosities as well. I'm hoping I can test drive the GT trim, because I've driven every model of Tesla (S, X, and 3) extensively, each in both performance and non-performance trim.

If Ford's projections for the GT trim hold up, then it should be comparable.

One of my biggest questions, is the feel of the regen braking on the Mach-E. Tesla really nailed the one foot driving setup so I'm hoping that it's comparable as well.

And for those of you that haven't driven a high performance EV before, I'm super excited for you. There's really nothing like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What up Mack. The Mach-E will definitely be my daily. My current daily is a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. I'm keeping the truck, but don't plan on driving it much once I get the Mach-E. Just keep it for dirty work.

That junction box/conduit above the Tesla in that picture is for a Chargepoint EV charger in my apartment's parking garage. Puts out about 6.6 kW per plug. Free for residents. On top of that, my office has a solar canopy in the parking lot with EV chargers, also free to use.

The truck gets about 16 mpg, so I am very excited to start spending $0 on all of my driving lol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome! That's QUITE the transition. Will be very curious to see what you think of the Mach-E vs the Teslas you've experienced.

And lately, this place is bumping!
@St00k Tesla build quality complaints will likely bring some people here to Ford. I know a few that have already.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What up Mack. The Mach-E will definitely be my daily. My current daily is a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. I'm keeping the truck, but don't plan on driving it much once I get the Mach-E. Just keep it for dirty work.

That junction box/conduit above the Tesla in that picture is for a Chargepoint EV charger in my apartment's parking garage. Puts out about 6.6 kW per plug. Free for residents. On top of that, my office has a solar canopy in the parking lot with EV chargers, also free to use.

The truck gets about 16 mpg, so I am very excited to start spending $0 on all of my driving lol.
I'd be excited for $0 charging as well lol, that's awesome! I wish my office had something like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
welcome and definitely your feedback (and those who have driven other EVs including teslas) is valuable. i think people rave about teslas because it's their 1st EV or their 1st that have great performance.

i drove a friend's model 3 a few weeks ago, and yes, it is amazing and fun! drove another friends e-golf and while serene and smooth, it was no where nearly as fun. definitely practical/environmental, but the e-golf is not going to excite me like a mach-e or model y would.

would be great to see true competition to tesla. nail down the fundamentals (good range, low center of gravity, decently powered motor, decent tech), build and style it well ...and we'll be happy to have an alternative to tesla! and i'm actually kind of looking forward to joining the mustang family. i like the "affordable performance" niche it fills

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest I don’t think Ford (or anyone else for that matter) will be able to match Tesla’s tech for a while. They’re just so far ahead. My main concern is range. But if it’s anything over 200 miles real world, I’ll be fine with it. Build and style, are also no competition, but the other way. Ford is and will be way ahead on those. Also the Mach-E interior looks to be a way better place to spend time in.
But I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

·
Registered
293 Posts
To be honest I don’t think Ford (or anyone else for that matter) will be able to match Tesla’s tech for a while. They’re just so far ahead. My main concern is range. But if it’s anything over 200 miles real world, I’ll be fine with it. Build and style, are also no competition, but the other way. Ford is and will be way ahead on those. Also the Mach-E interior looks to be a way better place to spend time in.
But I don’t think you could go wrong with either.
Out of all the car companies that are getting into EVs do you think Ford is the closest to catching up to Tesla? Or is it someone else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of all the car companies that are getting into EVs do you think Ford is the closest to catching up to Tesla? Or is it someone else?
Honestly I have no clue. This is Ford's first shot at it, but it seems they're really throwing a lot of weight behind it so I'm hoping for the best. Also Ford put half a billion into Rivian and I'm very interested to see how they turn out. So it seems Ford is taking it very seriously. Lucid says they're through the weeds as far as tech and funding goes, but now the real challenge of actually building cars begins so who knows with that. I'm not sure what GM is up to other than the Hummer. VAG is also serious with the Taycan, Very impressive tech in my opinion but of course it costs a LOT. Hard to keep up with everyone else playing catch up... Honda has a cool little EV but aren't selling it in the states, because 'merica. Toyota will probably be pushing hybrids and fuel cell BS forever... All of this is without even mentioning the fact that Nissan has already sold more EVs than anyone so should have had a huge head start. Now they're about to go belly up. Dozens of EV mfgs in China (which is also the largest market for selling EVs, and will always be), but I have no idea what those cars are really like (I expect bad).

But no other car company is really even trying, in my opinion, until they build a gigafactory. Everyone thought Tesla was nuts, now look at 'em. It's the machine that builds the machine, and it's Tesla's actual core product. Mercedes is delaying production of their first EV because batteries. Ford is limiting Mach-E to 50k because batteries. Battery tech and supply is by far the most critical technological challenge of our time, in my opinion. Not just for EVs, but for renewables as a whole. There is literally ONE company that is recognizing and addressing that directly. That means they'll always have better supply, better people, better tech.

I could ramble more but these are just my semi-informed opinions lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts