Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Please excuse the ramble.

My name is Paul and I live in England. I am a 69-year-old married grandfather recently retired. The consultancy work I now undertake I am able to carry out from home, so no commuting.
Historically I have been a Audi suv (diesel) and Jaguar XK owner.
We do not as as rule undertake many long journeys but we do like to holiday both in the Uk and Europe by car. We are also avid golfers.
I am a self confessed technology addict and have been desperate to own a BEV. Until recently with the exception of Tesla none of the fully electric models had the range I was wishing for and the general charging infrastructure was in its infancy.
I admire Tesla and the supercharger network and the model Y would probably suit in many respects however the support network performance reports and their adjacency makes me nervous.
The general improvement in distribution of HPC stations in Europe and simplification of payment methods has made adoption more promising.
I do however seem to be a serial pre-booker having placed deposits on a Kia eniro, VW ID.3 and now a MMe.
As often happens with rapid improvements in technology and design it becomes difficult to know when to jump on. I found it true with computing, mobile phones, and subscription media and now with EV’s.
I have cancelled the Kia as although a good all purpose car with a good range it has a notoriously long delivery, reported trouble with noise and wear on the drive train, currently no app and to be honest a bit dull.
I still have the VW pre-booking for a 1st edition. I placed it in May 19 and have had no communication from VW since. No email, no details, no prices, no viewing nada. I have become disenchanted, I think it will be a good car but probably a little small for us and I wasn’t excited about it.
The I pace and EQC although great are a little rich for my blood and there is some doubt over their real world range.
So I have come to the MMe.
I was invited by Ford to a preview at a dealer in Brighton with a small group. We were given a good presentation were able to sit in and have a good poke around. The info system was not functioning but it all looked great. It was a red AWD version.
So on the 21-01-20 I preordered a RWD ER in star white (my wife will not accept another grey car and the red is a little young for me!)
In the UK apart from the 1st edition (which is sold out) there is currently only a RWD model or AWD model with either battery and no options apart from colour. It includes the tech pack so probably equates to the Premium.
I am excited by the car. Pleased with Fords promotion, contact, information witness the recent London event.
Like the following aspects:
Styling and interior
Range
Infotainment
Storage
Charging
OTA
Servicing support network

In the UK we, or at least I do not have the historic connection to the Mustang name that you do, however I admire Ford’s commitment to EV’s by adopting their favourite iconic brand. I would probably be okay with just Mach e. I do however think in time hardened Mustang aficionados will accept an electric version as a natural progression of the marque.

Role on delivery.

If you got this far thanks for bearing with me.

Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul.

Regarding the ID.3, the Mustang Mach E should be usefully larger, with more cargo capacity in the boot. The VW is just too small.

I drove the I Pace and an Audi E Tron as well and was not that impressed with either. Ford's approach, with such an iconic brand and personality, actually excites me for the car's arrival.

The Model Y is probably the most appealing alternative.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Paul congrats on retirement and welcome to the forum! ! Is England expected to get the VW ID.4? From my understanding that's going to be a better comparable to the Mach-E than the ID.3.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul congrats on retirement and welcome to the forum! ! Is England expected to get the VW ID.4? From my understanding that's going to be a better comparable to the Mach-E than the ID.3.
ElectricPony
Thank you for your welcome words. I believe you are absolutely correct that the ID. 4 would be much more comparable to the MMe and certainly a better fit for me. The issue is how long does one wait for the ‘perfect’ solution. We will I am sure get the ID.4 at some point, possibly the end of 2021 to summer 22. I expect the USA and Canada to be in the frame to receive it first as it is more suited to that market. A market which VW did not believe the 3 would work. I expect it to come in AWD which would be important in those markets as well. Not so much in the UK.
I expect to have to commit to the MMe before the ID 4 is released thank goodness.

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
The ID3 has less length than Mach E (4.3m vs 4.7m) but VW seem internally to have packaged it in a superior way. The boot has 400L - same as Mach E. Plus the interior space for front and rear passengers seems to be at least equal to or slightly better than Mach E- according to what I have seen so far. Its only the Mach E's 100L frunk that gives it any cargo superiority. Overall for the size of car I am disappointed with what I know so far with Mach E . For example - the Kia e-niro is 0.4m less length than Mach E but appears to have more internal cargo space than Mach E (450L vs 400L). I wonder where the space has gone? It's pointless having a bigger car without creating extra room inside. All you end up with is a smaller car feel inside that's more difficult to find a parking space for.
I am holder of reservations on both ID3 and Mach E - so am keen follower of these stats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Baz
I certainly think you a correct that both the I.D.,3 and eniro have maximised the boot capacity by extending level the roof line as opposed to the more fastback line of the MMe. The MMe boot did seem to have wider access and larger foot print but loses in height. (more flush floor possibly?) I have not been able to view the I.D.3 so may be mistaken, I have sat in both the eniro and the MMe which for me was easier in and egress. Maybe the small extra height has helped.
From photos the ID.3 seems to feel very spacious inside for a smallish car made so by slim seats small arm rests, small screen etc. Certainly internally the MMe feels more luxurious (traditional?) deeper profiled seats, generous arm rests, storage etc so does feel more ipace cocoon like. I personally prefer this.
I think the vw will be a good car. I like you have dibs on a 1st edition. However I would more likely choose a series car. However it just does not excite me as the MMe does. So I am probably making up logical excuses in my own mind to justify what will more likely be an emotional choice.
Out of interest have you heard anything from VW.
Paul

·
Registered
55 Posts
I still think the Mach E's advertised 405L boot space is unbelievable for a car this size. If I hadn't seen a photo with the boot's dimensions (which seem to confirm it) I'd still think it's a mistake.

My similarly sized X3 has a boot size of 550 liters. The slightly shorter I pace has 557 liters. Hell, even my (43cm shorter) Fiat Bravo has 400 liters!

Really makes you wonder where the space has gone, as @Baz Fell put it.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car so far, but not going to make excuses for something that is clearly orders of magnitude worse than the competition in this class.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The ID3 has less length than Mach E (4.3m vs 4.7m) but VW seem internally to have packaged it in a superior way. The boot has 400L - same as Mach E. Plus the interior space for front and rear passengers seems to be at least equal to or slightly better than Mach E- according to what I have seen so far. Its only the Mach E's 100L frunk that gives it any cargo superiority. Overall for the size of car I am disappointed with what I know so far with Mach E . For example - the Kia e-niro is 0.4m less length than Mach E but appears to have more internal cargo space than Mach E (450L vs 400L). I wonder where the space has gone? It's pointless having a bigger car without creating extra room inside. All you end up with is a smaller car feel inside that's more difficult to find a parking space for.
I am holder of reservations on both ID3 and Mach E - so am keen follower of these stats.
Where does the 405 L number come from? Ford specs for Mach E say 29 cu ft, which is way more than 405 L?? Or are you not considering all the space behind the rear seat as the boot?

·
Registered
e-Golf
30 Posts
I still think the Mach E's advertised 405L boot space is unbelievable for a car this size. If I hadn't seen a photo with the boot's dimensions (which seem to confirm it) I'd still think it's a mistake.

My similarly sized X3 has a boot size of 550 liters. The slightly shorter I pace has 557 liters. Hell, even my (43cm shorter) Fiat Bravo has 400 liters!

Really makes you wonder where the space has gone, as @Baz Fell put it.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car so far, but not going to make excuses for something that is clearly orders of magnitude worse than the competition in this class.
The roofline of the MME is much more fluent than on te ID3 or the X3 so the bootspace is low, i have seen the ID3 en the MME both in person and the MME feels significant bigger inside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where does the 405 L number come from? Ford specs for Mach E say 29 cu ft, which is way more than 405 L?? Or are you not considering all the space behind the rear seat as the boot?
It comes from Ford's official specs in Europe.
And no, I don't think it includes all the space, only the space below the parcel shelf, beacuse this is how things are measured in Europe (unlike the US).

But it doesn't matter, because the comparison is like for like. The numbers for the other cars I mentioned are all measured in the same way.

The roofline of the MME is much more fluent than on te ID3 or the X3 so the bootspace is low, i have seen the ID3 en the MME both in person and the MME feels significant bigger inside.
Since the numbers given don't include the space above the parcel shelf, I don't see how the roofline should significantly affect them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The difference in boot space may be a reflection of the boot floor being higher on the MMe possibly to accommodate the additional layer of battery for the larger battery version. Ford confirmed that the large battery has a double layer section at the rear. The larger battery version for the ID.3 is in the single layer MEB platform. The images do suggest this given the cill line in comparison to the suitcase. However this may just be a reflection of the difference in the cill to under chassis depths.
Giving it further thought the platform level is more likely a consequence of the drive train design configuration than the battery arrangement. The depth of the boot in the ID3 a consequence of the stubby nose and longish wheelbase

·
Registered
136 Posts
According to this Jalopnik article, the battery pack in the MME is under the passenger floor, ending under the rear passenger bench. The rear motor and gearbox are on the rear axle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all.

Please excuse the ramble.

My name is Paul and I live in England. I am a 69-year-old married grandfather recently retired. The consultancy work I now undertake I am able to carry out from home, so no commuting.
Historically I have been a Audi suv (diesel) and Jaguar XK owner.
We do not as as rule undertake many long journeys but we do like to holiday both in the Uk and Europe by car. We are also avid golfers.
I am a self confessed technology addict and have been desperate to own a BEV. Until recently with the exception of Tesla none of the fully electric models had the range I was wishing for and the general charging infrastructure was in its infancy.
I admire Tesla and the supercharger network and the model Y would probably suit in many respects however the support network performance reports and their adjacency makes me nervous.
The general improvement in distribution of HPC stations in Europe and simplification of payment methods has made adoption more promising.
I do however seem to be a serial pre-booker having placed deposits on a Kia eniro, VW ID.3 and now a MMe.
As often happens with rapid improvements in technology and design it becomes difficult to know when to jump on. I found it true with computing, mobile phones, and subscription media and now with EV’s.
I have cancelled the Kia as although a good all purpose car with a good range it has a notoriously long delivery, reported trouble with noise and wear on the drive train, currently no app and to be honest a bit dull.
I still have the VW pre-booking for a 1st edition. I placed it in May 19 and have had no communication from VW since. No email, no details, no prices, no viewing nada. I have become disenchanted, I think it will be a good car but probably a little small for us and I wasn’t excited about it.
The I pace and EQC although great are a little rich for my blood and there is some doubt over their real world range.
So I have come to the MMe.
I was invited by Ford to a preview at a dealer in Brighton with a small group. We were given a good presentation were able to sit in and have a good poke around. The info system was not functioning but it all looked great. It was a red AWD version.
So on the 21-01-20 I preordered a RWD ER in star white (my wife will not accept another grey car and the red is a little young for me!)
In the UK apart from the 1st edition (which is sold out) there is currently only a RWD model or AWD model with either battery and no options apart from colour. It includes the tech pack so probably equates to the Premium.
I am excited by the car. Pleased with Fords promotion, contact, information witness the recent London event.
Like the following aspects:
Styling and interior
Range
Infotainment
Storage
Charging
OTA
Servicing support network

In the UK we, or at least I do not have the historic connection to the Mustang name that you do, however I admire Ford’s commitment to EV’s by adopting their favourite iconic brand. I would probably be okay with just Mach e. I do however think in time hardened Mustang aficionados will accept an electric version as a natural progression of the marque.

Role on delivery.

If you got this far thanks for bearing with me.

Paul
Welcome paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts