Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I still have my 2011 Leaf, it still running great. Also have a Ford Fusion energí. Really looking forward to the new Mustang. I like that the Mustang is is higher off the ground. The Tesla is to low for me to get into. Cheers to all.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Be sure to add your info to our spreadsheet here:

I think there's at least one other Fusion energí owner here.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
922 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Be sure to add your info to our spreadsheet here:

I think there's at least one other Fusion energí owner here.
That might be me 2018 Burgundy Velvet Energi Platinum

·
Registered
Grabber Blue FE
106 Posts
Welcome @Livesteamer.
The Tesla Model Y has 6.6 inches of ground clearance, about an inch more than the Mustang Mach-E. Have you looked at the Model Y?
I test drove the Y (AWD LR). I was really impressed. But I'm super picky about my cars and Tesla's fit and finish, as well as after purchase service, needs work. Easy to get into though. Super fast and great range. I just wish they could up their game on quality and customer service.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I test drove the Y (AWD LR). I was really impressed. But I'm super picky about my cars and Tesla's fit and finish, as well as after purchase service, needs work. Easy to get into though. Super fast and great range. I just wish they could up their game on quality and customer service.
Did you happen to notice and quality issues on your test drive?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I heard tesla model y build quality is bad and this video covers most of what I heard:

MME on the other hand has been very good according to people that seen them.

·
Registered
828 Posts
No. The test drive car was beautiful. But I read Reddit Tesla forum daily and the Y seems to be suffering from same issues the M3 did in the first year.
I've been seeing similar things as well. In this video a Model Y owner shares a bunch of things that he's had issues with, such as:
  • Missing paint
  • Improper rear seat alignment
  • Loose trim
  • Fault hatch sensor
  • Window rolling down incorrectly (which ripped the car's trim)
  • Squeaky rear headrests
  • Rattling rear seats
  • Improperly connected front headlight

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,120 Posts
MME on the other hand has been very good according to people that seen them.
Have you seen a review of the build quality on one of the pre-production assembly line prototypes? All I’ve seen are discussions of the original hand-built ones.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Have you seen a review of the build quality on one of the pre-production assembly line prototypes? All I’ve seen are discussions of the original hand-built ones.
Not yet. I hope its good because Ford's MME team has been pointing out problems with Tesla's:
_

Q: What are your thoughts on the direction Tesla took EV cars? One of the things I've seen online that I agree with, as a Telsa owner myself, is that Tesla shouldn't be making cars. They should instead be making drive trains and frames, then let companies that are actually GOOD at building cars build them.

A: Hm. Insert classic my opinions don't represent that of the company statement here.

TBH I love what Tesla has done for EVs. Simultaneously, their engineering is some of the worst shit I have ever seen in any industry. It's often horrifying. Their tech and engineering in battery and HV electronics and harnessing outpaces the industry by 5yrs easy, but their logistics and quality is so poor I'm astonished that the things have as few problems as they do.

I've torn down dozens of vehicles. When we opened our Model 3 when it first came out, it had loose screws dropped randomly in the chassis near sensitive components. The fit and finish of the alignment of panels is ridiculous. Their electronics frequently flaunt safety guidelines and do not meet UL regulations.

So that being said, yes their engineering is top notch. They create custom solutions for vehicle programs that other OEMs could only dream due to the fact that they contract manufacture all of their parts rather than hire auto supplier companies to design it for them. A custom vehicle part for an OEM is 3x the cost of what it would be for Tesla, and the quality of the electronics when you build it in-house is far better than what you can get by adapting an industry design.

I think what you'll see going forward, and what we are doing, is more work on commonized platforms. The VW MEB platform, the Rivian Skateboard platform, the LG chem battery platform, our GE1/2 platform. The auto industry knows that these are the ways of the future, rather than shopping together a bunch of parts into whatever random model year marketing wanted to serve up. These platforms are major advancements and take billions of dollars, and frankly they raise the barrier to entry to compete to such a level that even established OEMs are getting squeezed out. Partnerships are becoming more and more common, because if you spend 6yrs developing a platform that is noncompetitive for long enough to recoup your losses or isn't as technologically advanced as your competitors even once, then you're done.

Anyways. I think that's why you see Ford's recent investments in Rivian and the Lincoln BEV coming out by them in the next few years. Platforms are the new gold. Tesla builds amazing custom electronics and motors. We're doing the same thing but everyone has some catching up to do, but I think we pulled off something pretty amazing and the powertrain isn't the only reason people buy a car- they want souls.

In my personal opinion, I don't think Tesla is as good at building cars, both from a design/user experience perspective and from a manufacturing/logistics/process perspective, as almost all other OEMs. Does that mean they shouldn't make cars? Hell no. That platform is something that you can ride to the bank, but at the same time I think you can see in how the Mach-E stacks up the to Model Y that it's not that hard to make a car that has a soulful identity that resonates with customers that has a great powertrain as well. Cars are emotional creatures and that's something that Tesla could do better IMO.

That was from a Reddit AMA with a Ford Electric Vehicle Engineer on the Mustang Mach-E team.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts