Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Tom and my wife and I live in Frisco, about 20 miles north of Dallas. We are both retired and moved here from Washington State three years ago plus to be weekday care for our granddaughter. We have two now and they keep us very busy. My 2014 Mustang convertible gets very few miles these days because putting little ones in a car seat in the back of a Mustang just wouldn't work. I hate to see the convertible go, but we need to have both our cars accommodate car seats. So on 8/12 I placed a reservation for a Mach-E Premium RWD. I wasn't willing to pay an additional $5,000 for extended range because we put too few miles on BOTH cars for that to make sense. The Mach-E will become the primary vehicle, but I probably won't need to charge it more than about once a week, and that on 120V. My wife's Honda Pilot probably won't go to the gas station more often than once every few months.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Welcome, Tom. I have a convertible mustang also, and was originally going to hold on to it as a weekend/backup to my mach E. It seems a shame to hang on to such a fun car only to use it sparingly, so I am probably going to let her go to someone who'll drive it regularly. If I am being honest, I also don't want to have to continue insuring and maintaining a car that I won't really drive much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you, timbop. I drive mine to grocery shopping one morning a week and we use it on weekends if we have anywhere to go, so it gets VERY little mileage. I've had a convertible since late '99 and it will be sad to be without one, so I guess I better enjoy it while I wait (how long) for my Mach-E.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I hear you, timbop. I drive mine to grocery shopping one morning a week and we use it on weekends if we have anywhere to go, so it gets VERY little mileage. I've had a convertible since late '99 and it will be sad to be without one, so I guess I better enjoy it while I wait (how long) for my Mach-E.
What confounds me is why Ford didn't put a sunroof on the mach E. The escape has a glass roof with sunroof insert for only $1400 - I would gladly pay twice that to be able to open the roof on my mach E so I would miss my convertible less.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
What confounds me is why Ford didn't put a sunroof on the mach E. The escape has a glass roof with sunroof insert for only $1400 - I would gladly pay twice that to be able to open the roof on my mach E so I would miss my convertible less.
I traded in a convertible when I got the Fusion which has a sunroof. Interesting thing for me is that I use the sunroof open a lot less that I originally thought. If it's parked outside I open the top to vent the heat and I use it in the open position mostly at night and local driving in the appropriate seasons. Since I live in Las Vegas the daytime sun without the glass and/or the shade is brutal and the car is so quiet at highway speeds the open top results in some wind buffeting in the cabin. I don't regret the option but I'll really be interested in seeing how the panorama glass roof on the MMe works out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I traded in a convertible when I got the Fusion which has a sunroof. Interesting thing for me is that I use the sunroof open a lot less that I originally thought. If it's parked outside I open the top to vent the heat and I use it in the open position mostly at night and local driving in the appropriate seasons. Since I live in Las Vegas the daytime sun without the glass and/or the shade is brutal and the car is so quiet at highway speeds the open top results in some wind buffeting in the cabin. I don't regret the option but I'll really be interested in seeing how the panorama glass roof on the MMe works out.
I got my convertible in 2015, and find I use it less and less every year. Generally my wife and I like to go for rides at night from may-sept with it down, but rarely ever during the day or other times of year. With all the rain we have been getting the last couple of years, there just aren't a lot of opportunities any more. Opening a sunroof would probably not happen a lot either, but it would still be nice - especially as you said for just popping up to cool the interior during a hot sunny day.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I got my convertible in 2015, and find I use it less and less every year. Generally my wife and I like to go for rides at night from may-sept with it down, but rarely ever during the day or other times of year. With all the rain we have been getting the last couple of years, there just aren't a lot of opportunities any more. Opening a sunroof would probably not happen a lot either, but it would still be nice - especially as you said for just popping up to cool the interior during a hot sunny day.
I never open the sunroof anymore, my seasonal allergies have gotten worse the last 5+ years. I do leave the shade open when practical to let light in.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
I never open the sunroof anymore, my seasonal allergies have gotten worse the last 5+ years. I do leave the shade open when practical to let light in.
Perhaps Las Vegas is the place for you since other than the worst dust that I have ever encountered, nothing grows here. 🤧 I worked with a guy at State Dept. in DC that had the worst seasonal allergies of anyone that I can recall. He literally looked like he wouldn't survive the day. Good luck since the MMe probably has a HEPA filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts