Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow marks 3 months that our 2021 Mach-e has been in our local service center waiting for a 12 volt battery. We are getting impatient! Anybody else having the same issue? We need some support and to see if anybody has any advice? TYIA
We've been really, really patient and understanding but I'm about over it with 3 months without our vehicle!

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Tomorrow marks 3 months that our 2021 Mach-e has been in our local service center waiting for a 12 volt battery. We are getting impatient! Anybody else having the same issue? We need some support and to see if anybody has any advice? TYIA
We've been really, really patient and understanding but I'm about over it with 3 months without our vehicle!
Have you got ford involved yet? Here's a link with lots of contacts with ford. I suggest contacting Elena Ford (she's in the list) She's helped a number of people out with issues. Ford

· Registered
544 Posts
Why in the world would they design a car with a 12-volt battery that wasn't compatible with any of the industry standard configurations out there? Especially, if after over 100 years of 12-volt battery use, they can't figure out how to keep theirs from failing? I wonder if the Kia/Hyundai batteries that are filing have the same compatibility problem? I don't know if Tesla's lead acid 12-volt batteries are industry compatible, but at least they are not failing.

· Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
488 Posts
3 months is not acceptable. They continue to build vehicles in Mexico so batteries are available. Have you looked into local lemon laws or a Ford buyback? Do they know why the battery failed? If they replace it and the root cause has not been resolved you’re back to step one. As much as I love my ME I would seriously consider dumping it.

· Registered
618 Posts
Why in the world would they design a car with a 12-volt battery that wasn't compatible with any of the industry standard configurations out there? Especially, if after over 100 years of 12-volt battery use, they can't figure out how to keep theirs from failing? I wonder if the Kia/Hyundai batteries that are filing have the same compatibility problem? I don't know if Tesla's lead acid 12-volt batteries are industry compatible, but at least they are not failing.
I believe any 12 volt AGM battery that fits the space should work but I don't know if such a size exists. Most aftermarket AGM batteries are larger and if they are taller they would not fit under the crossbar. Also there is the problem of cables. There are sensors in the negative ground cable that work with the battery management system so you cannot just substitute any generic ground cable. There is extra horizontal space on the battery tray for a bigger battery. Dimensions of OEM battery in inches are 6.9 L, 6.9 W, and 7.5 H. I'm going to search for an alternative. My 12 v battery is fine, but if it ever fails I like options.

· Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
488 Posts
The problem is the dealer will only use parts ordered from Ford. If you replace the battery yourself and it fails again they will deny any warranty claims. Right now the problem appears to be a software/charging issue which hopefully has been resolved.

· Registered
544 Posts
If a Ford dealership installs a battery that is not provided by Ford, Ford could still refuse to pay the dealer's shop for any warranty claim, leaving the dealer holding the bag. It's Ford that needs to get their act together and approve other batteries if they can't fix their own supply problem..

· Registered
8 Posts
I think, I think that FOrd cannot specify the manufacturer of a 12V battery in order to satisfy the vehicle's warranty, this is called a "tie-in" warranty ant I think the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits this. Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (kleenoilusa.com) If an aftermarket part fulfills Ford's requirements I believe you can use them and are not restricted to Motorcraft parts. We all have used non-Ford oil and air filters, shock absorbers, brake parts -- Ford still warrants the vehicle, but has no obligation to warrant the non-Ford parts used. AND if the aftermarket part DOES NOT MEET Ford's functional specifications/requirements AND then causes a subsequent vehicle damage, THEN now you have a problem.

I THINK this is how Magnuson-Moss works to protect you. Maybe.

· Registered
13 Posts
Yes I'm doing a buy back through ford for the same reason it's on back order with know restock Date.

· Registered
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
62 Posts
Ok, so it can’t just be the 12 V battery, right? If the OEM product is available through other sales channels, it doesn’t make sense that they are just waiting for a battery. You’ve been way too patient, and you need to start banging on some desks. If it’s just the battery, then order one from RockAuto like these guys are saying and walking into the service department. And then have them credit your account/pay for it. This isn’t a five-year-old Hyundai Sonata . It’s a $60,000 car!

· Registered
12 Posts
Yes I'm doing a buy back through ford for the same reason it's on back order with know restock Date.
Ron Norris Ford in Titusville, Florida might have one. They worked on mine but did not need the battery they had in stock to fix the issue.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, they are OEM. Rock Auto has the exact battery in the Mach-E.
Omg, why can't our corporate Ford claim's rep and dealership figure this out?!
3 months is not acceptable. They continue to build vehicles in Mexico so batteries are available. Have you looked into local lemon laws or a Ford buyback? Do they know why the battery failed? If they replace it and the root cause has not been resolved you’re back to step one. As much as I love my ME I would seriously consider dumping it.
Yes, the reccurence of this issue keeps me up at night. I don't trust our local dealership to know what to do since we are the first they've ever seen. They said it just needs a software update, and that is what caused the battery to fail.

· Registered
7 Posts
My 2021 MME just received the latest update with the updated radio knob function. I have 30,000 miles on my car.
Less than a week after the update, my 12 volt battery is dead. My car when into "deep sleep" and I could not get into my car. Thankfully this happened over night in my garage.

I used the Ford Pass app to place a service call. This worked great.
The flatbed tuck came to my house. The driver said that he has seen something must be going on with these cars, because he has seen this same dead mustangs a lot over the last week.
He opened the frunk by using a battery charger. He removed the covers and connected his charger to the battery.
In about 30 seconds, the lights turned on and the car came back to life.

I had no problem driving the car to my Ford dealership.
The next day, the service department told me that the car has a lot of error codes related to the 12 volt battery charging system. They don't know how long it will take to fix may car. There are three cars in the shop with the same problem.

I don't see how this could be the hardware.
I hope may battery is not damage, based on all your comments about getting replacement batteries.

I will write back when I get my car back and let you know what the problem was, or at least the BS they will tell me.

BTY:
On the way home from dropping off my car, I stopped at Auto Zone and purchased a portable charger so if this happens again, I can handle it myself.

· Registered
2021 Mach-E Select AWD | Iconic Silver
210 Posts
Well, seems likely they will just put in a new 12V OEM battery and be done. It looks like these days it's in stock (MOTORCRAFT BHAGMH3). I think you are correct, just charging the battery should permit you to drive it. If they say they want to keep it while they wait for a battery on order, you can say "sounds good, I'll just come pick it up and then keep it in my garage until you receive it and then drive it back to the dealership then."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts