Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Ford Media:

NO MORE SECOND-GUESSING: ALL-NEW FORD MUSTANG MACH-E ADDRESSES RANGE ANXIETY WITH UPGRADEABLE INTELLIGENT RANGE
JUN 19, 2020 | DEARBORN, MICH.

Mustang Mach-E’s innovative Intelligent Range can accurately estimate how much range the all-electric SUV has left, helping reduce anxiety about when and where customers can recharge.

• Mustang Mach-E helps reduce unplanned stops for charging with innovative new Intelligent Range, which more accurately predicts how much range drivers have using past driving behavior, weather forecasts and crowdsourced data from other Mustang Mach-E vehicles
  • Future over-the-air update will enable even more accurate connected vehicle predictions – including the ability to factor in real-time traffic conditions, terrain and elevation of a given route and more – letting drivers know if they need to anticipate a charging stop
  • In case a customer runs out of charge, the Ford Roadside Assistance program will tow their all-electric vehicle to their home, the nearest public charger or an electric vehicle-certified Ford dealership within 35 miles
DEARBORN, Mich., June 19, 2020 – For electric vehicle owners, Ford understands that taking the guesswork out of when and where to re-charge helps build trust and provide peace of mind. That’s why the all-new Mustang Mach-E comes equipped with a feature to help more accurately predict how much range drivers have left, becoming more precise over time.

Mustang Mach-E’s innovative Intelligent Range can accurately estimate how much range the all-electric SUV has left, helping reduce anxiety about when and where customers can recharge.

“Electric vehicle customers need to be able to trust their range estimates,” said Darren Palmer, Ford global director, battery electric vehicles. “People want to be confident they’re going to make it where they need to go, whether they’re on a road trip or coming home from work. Our new Intelligent Range feature helps ensure Mustang Mach-E owners around the globe know where they stand ahead of time, freeing them up to enjoy the ride.”

Intelligent Range will calculate range based on past driver behavior and forecasted weather conditions – taking advantage of the cloud to predict how much energy will be used in future driving. The vehicle battery system reports how much energy is available, while the powertrain module tracks how much energy is being used. Warmer or colder weather can impact range, so Intelligent Range takes that into consideration, too, updating estimated range along the way.

Crowdsourced data from other connected Ford electric vehicles who choose to share information on the road can improve estimates considerably. The all-electric SUV can track how much energy is used in different circumstances, including varying speed, terrain and climate conditions, so it can use fleet averages across all Mustang Mach-Es to improve range estimates – even for routes and conditions an individual customer has never driven before.

If range is impacted notably by any number of factors at the start of a trip, customers will receive a notification in their cluster highlighting the new range estimate and details about why the estimate changed.

In case a Mustang Mach-E does run out of charge, the Ford Roadside Assistance program will tow customers free of charge to where they want within 35 miles – whether that be their home, the nearest public charger or an EV-certified Ford dealership.

If a customer’s home, the nearest charge station or dealership is more than 35 miles away, they will be taken to the closest location available.

Ford will upgrade Intelligent Range through over-the-air updates, designed to deliver even more accurate prediction capabilities for connected Mustang Mach-E, keeping their fully electric SUVs at the forefront of technology. A future update will allow Mustang Mach-E to take even more advantage of cloud-connected capabilities, enabling it to factor in real-time traffic conditions, road slope, the terrain and elevation of a given route, and even the temperature at their final destination.

“Changes in driver behavior and the environment can impact range, which is the reason other electric vehicles often experience significant range adjustments,” said Mark Poll, Ford’s EV charging user experience manager. “Ford is tapping the power of the cloud to make estimates even more accurate – reducing the need for surprise charging stops and helping reduce customers’ range anxiety.”

Reserve the Mustang Mach-E here.

*Roadside assistance is included for certain owners and available to everyone for a per-service fee.
**Actual range varies with conditions such as external elements, driving behaviors, vehicle maintenance, lithium-ion battery age and state of health.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will be huge improvement over the erratic range estimates I get on our Nissan Leaf's guess-o-meter.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting to note that Ford has moved away from the "B" designation for a high regeneration mode used in the Toyota Prius and Nissan Leaf and have "L" on the shifter. I'm guessing this will be more of a downshift than a change in regeneration as we already know the regeneration modes of Whisper, Engage and Unbridled are selected elsewhere.

One other thing to get used to: My Leaf uses the center button for Park. The Mustang Mach E uses the center button for low with Park at the left side of the dial (Prius had a separate Park button).

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just learned on the Mach E Forum that Garmin and Ford partnered up on the new Sync for the MME:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Regarding the cloud based predictive software, I'm not sure if this is all marketing or innovation or a combo of both. This doesn't seem to be a different animal than what Tesla currently does. But good new nonetheless. Definitely looks slick.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just learned on the Mach E Forum that Garmin and Ford partnered up on the new Sync for the MME:
It's a very interesting partnership, it should give a big boost to the Mach-E's navigation system.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
696 Posts
I have used both Garmin and WAZE: WAZE is far superior and is FREE!

If I could delete navigation and get a reduction in price I would opt out of the navigation.

Reminds me of about 20 years ago when "luxury" cars for about $2000 extra had a built in phone.

Total waste of money: I think built in navigation systems when you use either WAZE and/or Google maps is a total unnecessary redundancy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Total waste of money: I think built in navigation systems when you use either WAZE and/or Google maps is a total unnecessary redundancy.
I'm sure they'll get there eventually, but for now, Google Maps offers only the most minimal guidance for EV road trips. The in-dash map from Ford (and also their FordPass phone app) is supposed to help handle trip concerns relating to battery range and recharging stops.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
696 Posts
I get it: You take the mileage to destination, factor in your speed, traffic conditions, temperature and topography to get a range estimate.

All that information is on WAZE and Google maps: a simple app is all that is needed to get range. Nothing proprietary that Garmin has.

I have a 2019 Mercedes E450 with built in Navigation by TomTom with "real time" updates by Sirius radio: used it once or twice and went back to WAZE - which again is FREE!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have used both Garmin and WAZE: WAZE is far superior and is FREE!

If I could delete navigation and get a reduction in price I would opt out of the navigation.

Reminds me of about 20 years ago when "luxury" cars for about $2000 extra had a built in phone.

Small point here but when we were in southern Germany a year ago there were places where there was no cellular reception. Our rented Garmin was invaluable in guiding us through unfamiliar roads because it depends on a satellite signal and not a cellular connection. Also if you are on international rates you can burn through a lot of cellular data ($$$) very quickly. Maybe a way around this is to download the area google map to your phone. I have not used WAZE but would not that also require a constant cellular connection? So is the Mach E getting it's navigation through satellite or cellular?

·
Super Moderator
1,194 Posts
Small point here but when we were in southern Germany a year ago there were places where there was no cellular reception. Our rented Garmin was invaluable in guiding us through unfamiliar roads because it depends on a satellite signal and not a cellular connection. Also if you are on international rates you can burn through a lot of cellular data ($$$) very quickly. Maybe a way around this is to download the area google map to your phone. I have not used WAZE but would not that also require a constant cellular connection? So is the Mach E getting it's navigation through satellite or cellular?
My guess is a mixture of both. Typical nav, telemetry, weather, and traffic/road hazard via GPS and satellite. Granular map and poi detail, charge network detail (like the number of plugs available) via cellular.
The current ford nav system works great. The only thing waze has over it is the speed trap info.

Reactions: abr

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use Google maps all over Europe. Just pre-download the maps and most cell phones have GPS capability build in (at least my iPhones do, not sure about androids). You don`t need data, unless you use traffic info and other connected content.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Radar detectors are prohibited by law in Canada so I always use WAZE in my car to avoid speed traps. I really like the community sharing approach..... hopefully they will add charging stations to route planner too.
When I got my most recent mustang my wife got me a radar detector to go with it, but the damn thing gave off so many false alarms I stopped using it after a few months. Maybe it was a cheap one or NJ is too densely packed with buildings that have security systems or whatever, but it was useless. With waze every once in a while I run across a freshly placed speed trap that no one's reported yet, but that doesn't happen very often. By contrast the correctness of waze is pretty high, even though occasionally a false report for a cop that has moved on happens. I read somewhere that google maps was getting charging info, so I'm sure they'll put that in waze as well

·
Registered
210 Posts
When I got my most recent mustang my wife got me a radar detector to go with it, but the damn thing gave off so many false alarms I stopped using it after a few months. Maybe it was a cheap one or NJ is too densely packed with buildings that have security systems or whatever, but it was useless. With waze every once in a while I run across a freshly placed speed trap that no one's reported yet, but that doesn't happen very often. By contrast the correctness of waze is pretty high, even though occasionally a false report for a cop that has moved on happens. I read somewhere that google maps was getting charging info, so I'm sure they'll put that in waze as well
I've always thought that if the cops really wanted people to slow down for safety, it wouldn't be that hard.
Just put plywood silouttes of police cars with solar powered radar transmitters to give off false alarms in areas where speeding has resulted in the most accidents. It would have to be realistic enough so one couldn't tell unless they're fairly close.
Something like this would cost a couple of thousand bucks to build and would actually get people to slow down but they're more interested in buying cameras that issue automatic traffic tickets.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've always thought that if the cops really wanted people to slow down for safety, it wouldn't be that hard.
Just put plywood silouttes of police cars with solar powered radar transmitters to give off false alarms in areas where speeding has resulted in the most accidents. It would have to be realistic enough so one couldn't tell unless they're fairly close.
Something like this would cost a couple of thousand bucks to build and would actually get people to slow down but they're more interested in buying cameras that issue automatic traffic tickets.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Actually, that brings up a funny story. On I-95 in northern maryland the state troopers used to leave an empty car in the median to get people to slow down. It worked at first, but after a while people figured it out and started throwing trash at it as they went by. Eventually they put a dummy in the car, and would occasionally replace it with an actual trooper just to keep everyone on their toes.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Actually, that brings up a funny story. On I-95 in northern maryland the state troopers used to leave an empty car in the median to get people to slow down. It worked at first, but after a while people figured it out and started throwing trash at it as they went by. Eventually they put a dummy in the car, and would occasionally replace it with an actual trooper just to keep everyone on their toes.
I've heard stories like that before but I've never actually seen it in person. I guess my area isn't as ambitious to do it. Regardless I'd would definitely fool me to slow down lol.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've heard stories like that before but I've never actually seen it in person. I guess my area isn't as ambitious to do it. Regardless I'd would definitely fool me to slow down lol.
Some towns/counties have used impounded cars for stealth radar setups. In any case, the mentality for many police departments is to catch citizens in an unsafe act to enforce a financial deterrent rather than implementing ways to prevent the act.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts