Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- new member here and I apologize if this has been discussed but is there no glass roof option for the GT trim? Kind of going back and forth between the MME and the Model Y. The lack of Apple CarPlay has me leaning towards the MME. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Panoramic glass roof is not an option. One gets it or not depending o the trim.

As the performance variant, it's not surprising the GT has a enclosed steel roof. Physics... the structural rigidity is compromised when a hole is cut through the roof. Why convertibles do not drive as well as their hardtop counterparts.

I'm curious to see how much fun the cheapest MME trim, a RWD, Select model is to drive. While not as fast, as the Premium, it may be more fun to drive.

·
Registered
366 Posts
As the performance variant, it's not surprising the GT has a enclosed steel roof. Physics... the structural rigidity is compromised when a hole is cut through the roof.
Not sure about your police work there Lou. Tesla's are super fast and have glass roofs. There are structural cross beams and the glass probably provides as much rigidity and the sheet metal, maybe more.

I'd love to have a metal roof vs.a glass one, even more to have an old fashioned sunroof vs. glass roof.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
It has to do more with the extra weight so high up is counter-intuitive to handling. The term is the Polar Moment of Inertia.

Simply put, a high center of gravity and front-biased weight are counterintuitive to good performance. The inertia will fight against the tires by shifting the cars mass in the opposite direction of your intended course.

This is why skateboard BEV, with their low center of gravity, handle so well. Eliminating the glass roof further increases the low bias of weight, improving handling.

Teslas performance editions release artificial restrictions imposed on the electric motors, have bigger, performance oriented tires and brakes. Its just a retrofit on the stock model.

On the other hand, the MMe GT was designed for performance in its entirety. The experience should be exhilarating.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,778 Posts
Not sure about your police work there Lou. Tesla's are super fast and have glass roofs. There are structural cross beams and the glass probably provides as much rigidity and the sheet metal, maybe more.

I'd love to have a metal roof vs.a glass one, even more to have an old fashioned sunroof vs. glass roof.
I prefer solid roof as well: It is quieter!

In Europe, on Mercedes, BMW's and Audi's glass roofs are the exception not the rule.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It has to do more with the extra weight so high up is counter-intuitive to handling.
I’d guess glass roof weighs more than a sheet metal roof but all of that is moot as the roof weight is immaterial to the car to how fast the car accelerates or really to structural integrity as the crash tests which includes roofs demonstrate.

Reason Tesla went to glass roof was for mfg benefit nothing to do with weight or a look. Being able to load from the top during mfg process was the reason, also the simplicity of just gluing on heavy glass.

Lower cost mfg.

The glass roof adds to headroom also so it helps if the car has seating and headroom design issues.

As a driver, much prefer the shade of the metal roof with option for a power sunroof.

·
Registered
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
321 Posts
My Sonata has a glass roof with a retractable cover. I love the cover, it provides insulation against sun, heat, cold and noise when desired.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
I’d guess glass roof weighs more than a sheet metal roof but all of that is moot as the roof weight is immaterial to the car to how fast the car accelerates or really to structural integrity as the crash tests which includes roofs demonstrate.

Reason Tesla went to glass roof was for mfg benefit nothing to do with weight or a look. Being able to load from the top during mfg process was the reason, also the simplicity of just gluing on heavy glass.

Lower cost mfg.

The glass roof adds to headroom also so it helps if the car has seating and headroom design issues.

As a driver, much prefer the shade of the metal roof with option for a power sunroof.
I could see solid roofs being safer than glass roofs in crash testing, but I would say only regarding intrusion. The roll-cages for the solid and glass roofs are the same, so roll-over crush ratings should be similar.

I don’t know why Tesla only has glass roofs, so i will take your word on the manufacturing reasons.

The question of the thread was why Ford decided to not include the glass roof on the GT, which to me seems primarily for performance and handling reasons (and maybe track restrictions). Costs are irrelevant because the MMe uses both on other models.

Acceleration is only one measure of performance, and less weight helps with that. Less weight up-top also improves handling in the twisties, as described in my last post.

Ford is really trying to sell the Mach-E as a Mustang. Designing the GT as a true performance vehicle may do just that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Probably be possible to put a 3rd party sunroof on the all metal roof.

Is it metal at all? Part of Ford’s reason for the glass roof was to fool the eye on the side profile so I wonder if the entire roof is some composite material vs. sheet metal?

·
Registered
271 Posts
weight is immaterial to the car to how fast the car accelerates
So a locomotive with two Mach E GT motors would accelerate the same as a Mach E??? The Tesla Model Y with two motors will out accelerate a Mach E AWD Ext Range especially at the higher end, due to two reasons, lower weight and a little more horsepower.
1) A sun roof steals headroom. 2) A sun roof, if open, ruins the aerodynamics and therefore your range.
Metal conducts more heat (conductive heat) than glass so a metal roof is hotter than a glass roof. There is some insulation from the head liner, how much I do not know. The other form of heat is radiant heat and Ford's reflective coating on the glass virtually eliminates that. The third form of heat is convective heat and that would depend on the difference in the temperature at the headliner and the inner surface of the glass. Ford does say the glass roofs reflective coating keeps the car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. We just have to trust Ford on that and they do not say whether the sun has to be shining in the winter. I do know that with the sunroof shade open on my Lincoln MKX that I feel neither heat nor cold on the my top of my thin hair head on days when it is -10 deg F or on days when it is 90 deg F.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Metal conducts more heat (conductive heat) than glass so a metal roof is hotter than a glass roof.
It is the radiation heat coming through the glass that makes the glass roofed car hotter. There's the glare on top of heat.

The air gap of liner and metal roof provides insulation and shade plus a bit less weight than the glass. Tesla's had the metal roof, sun roof option when first produced, cost cutting was why we don't see them anymore.

First thing I purchased was the internal shade which stays on until it gets cold outside.

An extra $4k for metal roof (option to put in 3rd part sunroof) and Cyber Orange would be pluses for GT, less range and an extra $4k the downside.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,778 Posts
So a locomotive with two Mach E GT motors would accelerate the same as a Mach E??? The Tesla Model Y with two motors will out accelerate a Mach E AWD Ext Range especially at the higher end, due to two reasons, lower weight and a little more horsepower.

1) A sun roof steals headroom. 2) A sun roof, if open, ruins the aerodynamics and therefore your range.

Metal conducts more heat (conductive heat) than glass so a metal roof is hotter than a glass roof. There is some insulation from the head liner, how much I do not know. The other form of heat is radiant heat and Ford's reflective coating on the glass virtually eliminates that. The third form of heat is convective heat and that would depend on the difference in the temperature at the headliner and the inner surface of the glass. Ford does say the glass roofs reflective coating keeps the car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. We just have to trust Ford on that and they do not say whether the sun has to be shining in the winter. I do know that with the sunroof shade open on my Lincoln MKX that I feel neither heat nor cold on the my top of my thin hair head on days when it is -10 deg F or on days when it is 90 deg F.
A sun roof steals headroom because when it opens it needs a place to go unless it opens on top, outside the car. When I examined both the MME and the Model Y, the panoramic roof was flush with the outside roof and there being no headliner there was more headroom than if there was a roof with a headliner.

As to heat and cold: Unless the glass has 100% UV filter, there will be radiant heat that you will not get with a roof and headliner. In the cold, a roof with a headliner will give you more insulation than a glass panoramic roof. IMO, the difference in cold will be minimal because when you turn on the heat, heat rises and the warm air will offset any cold air falling off the panoramic roof. In the summer, I expect the panoramic roof to be only slightly warmer than a roof with a headliner.

We have a Ford Edge Sport with a panoramic roof: we have never had to close the shade because of a problem with radiant heat - in fact I did not know we even had a shade. However we live on Long Island and this might be a problem in southern states or the south west.

I do think a panoramic roof will convey more road noise and possible wind noise than a roof with a headliner.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
271 Posts
It is the radiation heat coming through the glass that makes the glass roofed car hotter. There's the glare on top of heat.
The special coating reflects the uv rays so the radiant heat does not come through. That is Ford's claim and also my MKX experience. I have the shade open all summer. I realize that all sun roofs are not equal and that some people live in sunnier and hotter climates so everyone has their own experiences to judge. I'll find out how the Mach E's sunroof is but that is gonna be some time yet.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The special coating reflects the uv rays so the radiant heat does not come through.
Not how it works. It slows the heat coming but it lets the energy through and car gets just as hot, a bit faster and hotter as energy gets through the glass unless blacked out completely as it is with steel roof.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Not how it works. It slows the heat coming but it lets the energy through and car gets just as hot, a bit faster and hotter as energy gets through the glass unless blacked out completely as it is with steel roof.
The roof is double insulated, low-E reflective, UV and IR filtering, tinted glass.

Unlike normal glass, it will help maintain a conditioned cabin. But if the car is just sitting in the sun, it will get hot. But the interior surfaces shouldn't be scorching.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The roof is double insulated, low-E reflective, UV and IR filtering, tinted glass.
All the glass is but it still gets too hot and too bright with all glass roof. We put tint on side windows. The shade was cheaper than tinting the glass roof.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
All the glass is but it still gets too hot and too bright with all glass roof. We put tint on side windows. The shade was cheaper than tinting the glass roof.
I was thinking about a shade, but I wanted to see how well the glass performed first.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,240 Posts
Hi- new member here and I apologize if this has been discussed but is there no glass roof option for the GT trim? Kind of going back and forth between the MME and the Model Y. The lack of Apple CarPlay has me leaning towards the MME. Thanks!
You can reserve a GT now and decide on your options later. Regular vs Performance, solid vs. glass roof, Co-Pilot Assist Prep Package installed or not. The full set of options to choose from still aren't out yet but we have heard that these are three option choices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts