Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sunroof on my 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee exploded today while I was driving down the freeway. I'm glad that the Mustang Mach E GT I've reserved will not have a sunroof. I just wonder if I'm willing to wait until it is out to get rid of the highly unreliable Jeep.

·
Read Only
61 Posts
Personally I have not had the exploding sunroof experience but I know it happens occasionally. I am planning to opt for the glass roof on my Shadow black GT when I place the order after reading an account of having the glass roof makes the standard black interior of the GT seem larger/brighter. I am trusting that the glass roof on the Mach-E is much more robust than normal sunroofs as it has to be designed for crash protection as well as visibility.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The sunroof on my 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee exploded today while I was driving down the freeway. I'm glad that the Mustang Mach E GT I've reserved will not have a sunroof. I just wonder if I'm willing to wait until it is out to get rid of the highly unreliable Jeep.
That's crazy @FStephenMasek,, hopefully you're alright. How bad was it? is the glass completely gone?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Approximately half of it is gone. We were driving on I-105, so at first thought it was a gun shot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't like sunroofs in general, and if I had my choice, I'd do without it. But the Mach-e Premium comes with it and I want all the other features.

There is one advantage though -- it appears to add maybe 2" of headroom. Makes the whole interior look and feel larger. As long as it's heavily tinted (as it appears to be), I think I'll be OK with it. Might even be advantageous to let a little extra light in.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't like sunroofs in general, and if I had my choice, I'd do without it. But the Mach-e Premium comes with it and I want all the other features.

There is one advantage though -- it appears to add maybe 2" of headroom. Makes the whole interior look and feel larger. As long as it's heavily tinted (as it appears to be), I think I'll be OK with it. Might even be advantageous to let a little extra light in.
I don't mind having the extra light in, it definitely makes the interior feel spacious.

·
Read Only
61 Posts
According to Ford the GT comes standard with it
Interesting. The drop down COMPARE MODEL SPECS on the Ford website: https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/ still shows the glass roof as optional. I asked my local Ford dealer but they knew nothing about options. It seemed odd at the time I placed my reservation that the glass roof was standard on the CA Rt. 1 and the Premium but optional on the GT. Did your information come from a dealer or someone at Ford Motor?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's an option on the GT and GT Performance Edition because it adds weight to the car, and to quote Colin Chapman, "To add Performance, add Lightness".

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's an option on the GT and GT Performance Edition because it adds weight to the car, and to quote Colin Chapman, "To add Performance, add Lightness".
I wonder what the split is going to be between GTs that have sunroofs and ones that don't.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
87 Posts
I wonder what the split is going to be between GTs that have sunroofs and ones that don't.
My reservation is for a GT and I was disappointed that the glass roof was not standard. I am interested in adding that option for sure.

I'm also wondering how much weight is being added between the metal roof and a glass roof.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ordered my Focus RS w/o a sunroof, and I think that it saved 60 lbs. The Mach-E has a very much bigger sunroof. The other issue is that sunroofs add weight to the very top of the car, which is the worst place to add it (more swing-weight in corners, i.e., adds a pendulum effect due to the large distance from the car's center of gravity).

·
Registered
561 Posts
I ordered my Focus RS w/o a sunroof, and I think that it saved 60 lbs. The Mach-E has a very much bigger sunroof. The other issue is that sunroofs add weight to the very top of the car, which is the worst place to add it (more swing-weight in corners, i.e., adds a pendulum effect due to the large distance from the car's center of gravity).
60 pounds? That's quite a bit of weight to save, especially on a Focus RS.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had sun roofs in the past and I dont miss them. So I picked a Select because the other differences were negligable to me.
Plus, it is a new model/first year car so solid roof seemed like a sure bet vs possibly noisy, leaky, too hot, too bright or breaking glass roof.
Not saying any this will happen but .......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts