Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We early adopters are pretty comfortable with being on the internet 24/7. I grew up on a farm In Iowa and have been reading with interest about the control farm equipment manufacturers have over the 'tech' embedded in tractors. Will the Mach-E be require constant(or even periodic) internet connectivity to be driveable?

·
Registered
14 Posts
To be driveable? No. But there will be feature enhancements and potentially even recalls that are delivered via over the air updates. If the vehicle is never in cellular range, these updates will presumably be able to be installed manually by your dealer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We early adopters are pretty comfortable with being on the internet 24/7. I grew up on a farm In Iowa and have been reading with interest about the control farm equipment manufacturers have over the 'tech' embedded in tractors. Will the Mach-E be require constant(or even periodic) internet connectivity to be driveable?
I like the latest and greatest and know how to solve most problems but not everyone wants to take a chance on new technology. My son, ex-husband and his wife all have Tesla's and not everything has been great and wonderful mostly due to fit and finish issues. I am curious if there will be a lease option and I might consider going that route to protect myself but the rebates and tax credits are alluring. :). The car will have LTE and wireless connectivety for over the air updates but won't need it to drive.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ford said they're setting up the lease such that it is in your name instead of theirs, so that you can get the federal tax credit. So you can lease or purchase, whichever you prefer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ford said they're setting up the lease such that it is in your name instead of theirs, so that you can get the federal tax credit. So you can lease or purchase, whichever you prefer.
I've never heard of that and I'm not sure it's legal. Do you have a link? The lease company owns the vehicle and gets the tax credit. They typically pass it to the leasee via an inflated residual or an outright discount on the capital cost.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've never heard of that and I'm not sure it's legal. Do you have a link? The lease company owns the vehicle and gets the tax credit. They typically pass it to the leasee via an inflated residual or an outright discount on the capital cost.
The way it is being structured it is of course legal. I read an article over on macheforum (link below) that there will be lease-like product that is actually a 4 year loan with a balloon payment at the end - you can either return the vehicle or get another loan for the balloon payment/pay cash for it. The balloon payment is essentially the residual.

Lease Program Details For Mach-E Leasing

·
Registered
356 Posts
I grew up on a farm In Iowa and have been reading with interest about the control farm equipment manufacturers have over the 'tech' embedded in tractors.
No personal experience with farm equipment, though I think the kerfuffle has to do with the right to repair without going through the manufacturer. Here's some of the relevant reporting on it:

Similarly (and sadly), Tesla isn't interested in 3rd party repair shops or DIYers:

@theothertom rtom, I thought I heard the lease ownership details in a video, but I can't find it now. I might be remembering it from the post that @timbop linked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts