Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am goimg to be out of town for 30 days. I have a home charger. Should I leave my MachE plugged in or not.? If plugged in, should I reduce percentage to a lower level? Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am goimg to be out of town for 30 days. I have a home charger. Should I leave my MachE plugged in or not.? If plugged in, should I reduce percentage to a lower level? Thanks for any info you can provide.
Ford says have the HV battery around 50% and disconnect the 12v battery to reduce the load on the HV battery for storage of 30 days or longer. Constant waking up the car to check on it's status could take some juice from the HV battery. If I were storing my Mach E, I would reduce the battery to around 50%, set my max charge to 50% on the big screen, keep the 12v battery connected, and leave it plugged in. Then I could check the status occasionally without draining the HV battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ford says have the HV battery around 50% and disconnect the 12v battery to reduce the load on the HV battery for storage of 30 days or longer. Constant waking up the car to check on it's status could take some juice from the HV battery. If I were storing my Mach E, I would reduce the battery to around 50%, set my max charge to 50% on the big screen, keep the 12v battery connected, and leave it plugged in. Then I could check the status occasionally without draining the HV battery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I left mine for 5 weeks, at 71%, not plugged in, in cold weather and with no special measures. No problems. It started and ran fine. It only lost 2 percent charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I left mine for 5 weeks, at 71%, not plugged in, in cold weather and with no special measures. No problems. It started and ran fine. It only lost 2 percent charge.
Thanks. I will probably do the same.

·
Registered
381 Posts
How cold? I'm trying to decide on a cold (sub zero) strategy for this winter, not for storage but for 2-3 days when I might not need the car. I'd like to leave in plugged in overnight, but not necessarily keep it at 85%, which is where I set my charge limit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How cold? I'm trying to decide on a cold (sub zero) strategy for this winter, not for storage but for 2-3 days when I might not need the car. I'd like to leave in plugged in overnight, but not necessarily keep it at 85%, which is where I set my charge limit.
It was mid March - late April and temps here ranged from -15F to +40F. I plan to do some real world testing this Winter. (We've already had snow, so, soon.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a similar question about relatively long-term parking. When we go on two-week trips, flying from the airport, is there any concern about being able to crank it up upon our return? When I asked the airport parking vendor about the plug-in stations, they said they couldn't guarantee someone wouldn't unplug my car and plug their in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was gone for 3.5 months this summer. The manual, (and a call to Ford) instructed me to get the charge level to about 50%, and disconnect the 12 volt battery when I park the car. They also recommended it be in a garage. The car shouldn't be plugged into the charger.
It worked for me. When I got home I just reconnected the 12 volt battery and everything worked fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not going to disconnect a 12V battery at the airport parking lot, and I'll only be gone two weeks. Most posts I've seen about EV's say that charge loss is only a few %/week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not going to disconnect a 12V battery at the airport parking lot, and I'll only be gone two weeks. Most posts I've seen about EV's say that charge loss is only a few %/week.
Two weeks isn't going to be a problem. Most vehicles designed today should be good for about 3 weeks without issue.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,625 Posts
Two weeks isn't going to be a problem. Most vehicles designed today should be good for about 3 weeks without issue.
I just returned from a three week trip to Connecticut and I left my garaged MMe at 64% unplugged with no issues.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,625 Posts
I just returned from a three week trip to Connecticut and I left my garaged MMe at 64% unplugged with no issues.
From the MMe Owners Manual
Note: When you leave your vehicle left unplugged, it periodically uses energy from the high voltage battery to recharge the 12 volt accessory battery when needed. In order to preserve the high voltage battery state of health and longevity, we have some helpful suggestions and best practices to follow for maintaining the health of your high voltage battery. Overnight Charging and Storage You can increase the longevity of your high voltage battery by using the preferred charge times feature. Preferred charge times can keep your battery at the optimal temperature and state of charge based on your settings and usage. Allowing your battery to cool before charging and setting the maximum state of charge to 90% for everyday usage improves longevity of your high voltage battery. Storage Temperature Storing your vehicle in temperatures between 32°F (0°C) and 113°F (45°C) is the most beneficial for the high voltage battery. Storage State of Charge You can increase the battery life by maintaining your state of charge below 100%. When you park your vehicle for an extended period of 30 days or more, we recommend your battery be at an approximately 50% state of charge. Storing your vehicle's high voltage battery at higher states of charge is less favorable than storing at lower states of charge. Note: To achieve this state of charge for storage, you can drive your vehicle down to 50% and set a charge limit for your location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts