Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how fast the brake lights come on when in One Pedal Drive Mode? I assume that they come on automatically to let the driver behind you know that you are slowing down... (as opposed to active braking).

The question is whether the brake lights come on immediately or with a substantial slow down.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's an odd question. Why don't you have someone stand behind you car and check that out? Call each other and that way you say "stop!" and answer that question for all of us.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On the Bolt EV, it is a certain G-force that triggers the brake lights. I have heard it is some NHTSA requirement, so likely similar with MME.

The other question, does the car hold it's position at a stop when you take your foot off the brake? Bolt does, and before 2022 models, the brake lights would go off.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,266 Posts
Does anyone know how fast the brake lights come on when in One Pedal Drive Mode? I assume that they come on automatically to let the driver behind you know that you are slowing down... (as opposed to active braking).

The question is whether the brake lights come on immediately or with a substantial slow down.
Brake light activation is triggered by an accelerometer. Just like an automatic transmission ICE car will slow down gently when you let off the accelerator, so will a BEV. This is the regeneration with 1PD off in D. If you switch to low or 1PD, the car will slow much more rapidly and should be picked up by the accelerometer.

I have tested this with my wife driving behind me and can assure you that when you drive in Unbridled with 1PD ON, the brake lights will come on. The issue is one of degrees -- how much deceleration merits brake lights? That is determined by the accelerometer and is comparable to times you feel the car is obviously slowing (I can't remember the G-force but it has been stated in here somewhere).

Ever drive a manual transmission? Remember that the brake lights never came on when you downshifted, no matter how many Gs you pulled. The use of the accelerometer is an improvement over that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
While backing into the driveway at night you can see when the brake lights come on in the reflection off the garage. Gives you kind of a feel for it. I wish I could configure a brake light in the display panel. I don't like when people randomly brake for no reason now I think I'm that guy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While backing into the driveway at night you can see when the brake lights come on in the reflection off the garage. Gives you kind of a feel for it. I wish I could configure a brake light in the display panel. I don't like when people randomly brake for no reason now I think I'm that guy.
Couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been able to see my brake light reflection thru side mirror at night and it seems the brake light does not come on with a gradual deceleration, just when completely release accelerator.Also if cruise control is adjusting speed, the brake light doesn't come on unless it's a drastic reduction in speed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On the Bolt EV, it is a certain G-force that triggers the brake lights. I have heard it is some NHTSA requirement, so likely similar with MME.

The other question, does the car hold it's position at a stop when you take your foot off the brake? Bolt does, and before 2022 models, the brake lights would go off.
With one-pedal braking the car does hold its position at a stop (whether you used the brake pedal or not). Without one-pedal braking enabled, the car will hold its position if you have the "HOLD" feature turned on in Settings. The HOLD feature is overridden when you use one-pedal braking because it has its own hold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts