Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a big issue with me. One pedal driving is one of the best aspects of an electric car. The Chevy bolt I had was a perfect example of regenerative braking done right. I almost never had to use the brakes on that car. The Regen was effective and very aggressive. It also recouped most of that lost energy that would have been converted to heat in the brakes. Our Leaf Plus (which my wife wanted for its comfort) has a very weak regen system. You have to use the brakes more and it does not recover as much lost power when stopping or slowing down. I hope that Ford does it right with a very aggressive regen system that will let you truly do one pedal driving. At least there should be a way to vary the regen rate if you wish to.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is a big issue with me. One pedal driving is one of the best aspects of an electric car. The Chevy bolt I had was a perfect example of regenerative braking done right. I almost never had to use the brakes on that car. The Regen was effective and very aggressive. It also recouped most of that lost energy that would have been converted to heat in the brakes. Our Leaf Plus (which my wife wanted for its comfort) has a very weak regen system. You have to use the brakes more and it does not recover as much lost power when stopping or slowing down. I hope that Ford does it right with a very aggressive regen system that will let you truly do one pedal driving. At least there should be a way to vary the regen rate if you wish to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I very rarely braked....Maybe if some idiot pulled out in front of me. They did get enough wear from backing out of the driveway etc that there was no rust/oxidation evident.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think I'd like trying the steering wheel paddles to apply spot regen like some EV models have, but I don't remember seeing that the Mach-e has them. Not sure how I'll like the gas pedal regen. Curious to find out. My pedal-foot ankle sometimes gets carpel-tunnel like fatigue, so I tend to use cruise control a lot.

Does the Mach-e brake pedal apply some regen too, or is it 100% standard braking?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The paddle regen buttons like the Hyundai Kona has I did not like. Hard to press the regen button if you are turning the wheel. The one pedal driving becomes second nature after about a week of using it. You start to realize just how much energy was/is being wasted using regular brakes where kinetic energy is converted to thermal energy instead of being reclaimed as chemical/electrical energy in the battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There will likely be some type of gauge one can view while driving that will show energy usage and regenerative braking effects on state of charge as found in the Energi models.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There will likely be some type of gauge one can view while driving that will show energy usage and regenerative braking effects on state of charge as found in the Energi models.
This video shows some of the screen info that's supposed to appear on the console. But it's only a sampling...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Most likely the mechanical breaks will not apply regen. I don't know of any EV that does that.
I still don't understand the advantages of one-pedal driving. My C-Max hybrid will regen when I hit the brake. If I press hard enough then it engages the friction brakes. I don't see why an EV can't be the same. I don't understand why it couldn't even regen super aggressive as you press the brake pedal and only engage the friction brakes in an emergency.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It works like this: You press the pedal for acceleration. As you let off the "gas" pedal the car starts to regenerate. It is sort of like coasting after shifting to a lower gear....the engine is slowing you down (motor in this situation). If it is done right and the car has brisk regeneration, all that kinetic energy (speed) is converted back in to electrical energy in the battery. As you get experienced with it you never have to touch the brake pedal. You learn your cars characteristics and get very good at stopping without using brakes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It works like this: You press the pedal for acceleration. As you let off the "gas" pedal the car starts to regenerate. It is sort of like coasting after shifting to a lower gear....the engine is slowing you down (motor in this situation). If it is done right and the car has brisk regeneration, all that kinetic energy (speed) is converted back in to electrical energy in the battery. As you get experienced with it you never have to touch the brake pedal. You learn your cars characteristics and get very good at stopping without using brakes.
Right. But what I don't understand is what difference is it if the regen happens due to lack of a press on the go pedal or a press on the brake. Personal preference?

It seems like it's often advertised as being more efficient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts