Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The way I show affection is by finding fault -- can't help it, I'm an engineer, constantly striving for optimization. In that spirit, I'd like to show some love for the latest Mustang. The Mach-E is a fantastic vehicle, better than the BEV's I've had from Nissan, Mercedes-Benz, Chevrolet, and even Tesla. However, there is always room for improvement. Let's dive right in.

Trouble Reporting

Our brand new Mach-E with only 200 miles on it refused to accelerate. Pressing the "gas" pedal had no effect. A message appeared on the display, and FordPass popped up a notification on my wife's phone as well as mine: "A Powertrain or AWD/4WD fault has been detected, contact your authorized Ford dealer as soon as possible." Clearly, the car had already sent the trouble code to Ford over the Internet, so why not include that code in our FordPass notification message? Or, if Ford really wanted to force us to turn to the dealership for service, why not at least provide the dealer with a way to access the code remotely, without having to physically plug into the vehicle?

It was a Saturday, and nobody on duty at the dealer knew what to do. They offered to come pick up the car, or tow it if necessary, but said they would have to park it until their service department opened on Monday morning. By the time they offered, the car had mysteriously fixed itself and was running just fine. I made an appointment and drove it to the dealer a few days later, where they hooked up a scanner to read out that OBD code (which both I and they had been wanting, and Ford already had but wouldn't tell us): P061A. Hmm, torque sensor malfunction? OK, well, let's see if it happens again. If so, they'll need the car for at least a day so they can consult with Ford and figure out what to reprogram or replace. Gee, I wish they could have told me that over the phone, saving me the trip and saving Ford half an hour of labor on the warranty claim. (400 miles later, it hasn't recurred.)

Phone As A Key

This works SO much better than GM's KeyPass ever did, but not as well as Tesla. When I walk up to the Tesla Model 3 with my Android phone in my pocket, I can get in and drive. There's never any muss or fuss; it just works. With the MME, things aren't as smooth. I might walk up to the locked door and try to open it, but only by the 3rd or 4th time I press the button does the car recognize my phone and open the door. Once I sit down in the driver's seat, it's the same thing: I sometimes have to press the button 4 times with "No key detected", and possibly even launch the FordPass app on my phone, before the car will start.

I wish, at the very least, there were some visual or audible indication when the key was recognized, so I wouldn't have to feel like an idiot, pushing the Start button over and over, wondering if it will work this time. Better yet, if a valid key was just seen 10 seconds ago to unlock and open the door, go ahead and activate the Start button without revalidating that the key is now inside the vehicle.

Meanwhile, when walking around my yard and driveway with no intention of driving, the MME is always going click-click-CLACK, click-click-CLACK, cycling its relays and turning on its lights, even if the doors are already unlocked, to let me know it recognized my phone as a key. Why is the car so proactive about recognizing my phone from 50 feet away, while if I get in and try to drive, it says "No key detected"? Also, the little puddle light projectors in the mirrors that put a Mustang logo on the pavement are a great touch; they should illuminate in that situation (like the rest of the lights do) even if the doors are unlocked.

Charging and Energy Management

Hello Ford, could we please have some insight into energy flow, both during charging and driving? My Bolt EV displays the instantaneous kW of charge or discharge. My Tesla has a charging screen that shows State Of Charge, volts and amps, miles gained per minute of charge, target charge level, and projected completion. What does the MME show on the internal displays while charging? Nothing! Some of that information is available in the FordPass app, but why make me pull out my phone? Just display charging information on the screen (perhaps blank it after a period of inactivity, but turn it back on if someone so much as tries to open a door). When driving, give me some feedback about energy usage. How am I doing on efficiency? How much power is being used for climate control? Is there reduced power or capacity due to battery temperature or level? EV drivers want to know these things, and your displays are lacking.

Speaking of charging, I wish it were easier to set a charge limit. I usually only want to charge to 90%, for the sake of battery longevity. The only way to accomplish that is to set up a specific location, which is fine but buried in menus, and then associate the limit with that location. With the limit set, I began to get warnings that the car would "charge outside preferred charge time" even though I hadn't set any preferred times. My MB would always charge to 90% unless you pressed the "range boost" button on the dashboard, a refreshing example of simplicity. Also, there should be a way to limit the rate of charge. Maybe I only want to charge at 24A instead of 30A using the Ford Mobile Charger, for the sake of the wiring in my older home.

System Updates

How can I tell what version of the system software the vehicle is running? Under System Updates -> Settings -> Update Details, the help text says, "Displays information about the most recent system update." That sounds good, but all it actually displays is, "Your system is up-to-date." Come on, Ford, that's not very helpful. How about a version number or release date? How about the date on which this vehicle was most recently updated?

For that matter, how about offering the update to the owner via the app, like Tesla does? "A new update is available for your vehicle; tap to proceed" and later "The new update has been installed; tap for feature description" would be appreciated. I guess it's a nice thought that the in-vehicle screen has an option to submit feedback to Ford, but it doesn't actually let you type in or voice-record any such feedback -- just sends in a copy of your system configuration and the fact that you had some feedback in the "Other" category.

FordPass App

Ford's mobile app is better than GM's, but not as good as Tesla's. I won't go on here about all the glitches and bugs in FordPass, but the central purpose of the app is to make you feel connected to your car. Even when working perfectly, FordPass often displays the location and charge level "Updated 9 hours ago" or the last time the car was driven. I guess Ford wants to optimize mobile data usage and not bother having the car send updates when it has nothing interesting to report.

By contrast, Tesla will establish a connection to the car whenever you open the app, which provides a much more "connected" user experience. Tesla shows you which doors are open, the instantaneous interior temperature, and whether the car is driving, parked, or in reverse. You can see which heated seats are on and even use the app to turn individual seats on or off (useful if you happen to be sitting in the back or talking by phone with someone in the car). Tesla shows you where the car is in real time, and how fast it's going, against your choice of a satellite image or a road map. Ford shows only one snapshot of the vehicle's recent location, with no speed information and no satellite image option. Come on, Ford, make me feel connected!

Driver Assistance

The Automatic Emergency Braking can be a bit aggressive, even on Low sensitivity, when pulling into a parking space. With the driver's foot on the brake and plenty of time to stop, there's really no need to slam on the brakes automatically. In reverse, backing into a gap in traffic on a busy road, Reverse Brake Assist gets spooked by approaching traffic and slams on the brakes. That part, I suppose, is working as intended, but once it stops the vehicle, and the driver again presses on the accelerator, it should go! As it is, the car just sits there, pulled out halfway into traffic, refusing to move and forcing the approaching traffic to stop.

Last week, I turned on all the Driver Assistance features, including one called Curve Alert. Now the car comes up with frequent and annoying "Curve ahead" warnings, but I can't figure out how to turn them off. Maybe there was a recent over-the-air automatic update that eliminated that menu option, but I can't figure out how to tell whether an update was installed. At the very least, when a warning like "Curve ahead" is displayed on the screen, and the passenger seat is occupied, there should be a way for the passenger to tap on the alert and go straight to the submenu where it can be controlled. For that matter, whenever the passenger seat is occupied, the system should be less aggressive about disabling infotainment features for fear of distracting the driver. The Driver Assistance features are themselves rather distracting, and making me work so hard to figure out how to configure them is a worse threat to safety than just giving me or my passenger a quick two-tap way to turn some of them off.

Adaptive Cruise Control works very well, slowing down to match the speed of a vehicle in front of you. It even has a visual indicator of following distance, but that's turned off by default. When you turn it on, the indicator is only in graphical form, a shaded blue/gray area in front of the vehicle on the display. I wish it displayed the following distance in seconds, like the Chevy Bolt EV does. I've found that especially handy while helping my teenage sons learn to drive: follow at least 1 second behind the next vehicle on dry pavement, 2 seconds in rain, 3 seconds in snow.

Profiles and Settings

Which of the many configuration settings are associated with an individual profile, and which take effect vehicle-wide regardless of profile? I can never quite tell. There should be some indication (such an asterisk, boldface or italic print, a different color, or separate sub-menus) that a particular setting is associated with a driver profile. Also, when I reset the settings (which frequently happens accidentally when I try to scroll past the bottom of the settings page), am I resetting them vehicle-wide or only within the current profile? Either way, I wish it asked for confirmation or were harder to trigger a reset.

By trial and error, it seems that language is a profile-specific setting. When I set one driver to use Spanish and another English, that switches as expected. What about the 24-hour clock? When I set one to use that and one not, and then switch profiles, the clock flashes back and forth a couple times as if it's trying to change, but then stubbornly returns to the previous setting. Is the bug that it doesn't fully change, or is the bug that it even tries -- in other words, is 24-hour clock a profile-specific setting or a vehicle-wide setting?

Navigation

Having both the built-in navigation option and Android Auto (including wireless!) is fantastic, but there are a few hiccups. Voice recognition for destination addresses isn't nearly as good with the Ford system as with Google Maps. The downside of Google Maps is that the system sometimes hangs, leaving you in a limbo state where you can't select a new destination but also can't just grab your phone and use Google Maps the old fashioned way, since local phone access to Google Maps is locked out when Android Auto is active.

When my wife and I are both in the car, switching Android Auto from one phone to the other via the MME's menu option never seems to work; we have to first disable it on the active phone. Once Android Auto navigation is active, the voice prompts are too loud. We can turn the volume down to 3 or 4, where we want it, but every time there is a new directional prompt, it automatically gets raised to 6.

Funky Frunk

Much as I appreciate having a frunk, it's difficult to open (pull the lever twice and no remote open), difficult to close (I often have to re-open it and then slam it to get it all the way latched), and even difficult to use. The built-in divider is sometimes handy, but when you want to remove it, that process is cumbersome and requires tools. That divider should snap in and out quickly with no tools.

Rear Cargo Lights

Unloading luggage or groceries from the rear cargo area often takes multiple trips, leaving the lift gate open for some time. At night, the cargo and dome lights go off after 10 minutes, and there is no button back there to reactivate them. Perhaps the timeout should be longer (LED's don't take much power), and when the rear bumper sensors detect motion, the lights should reilluminate. Also, the screen in front of the steering wheel should display a reminder when the interior dome lights are suppressed (by that button on the roof behind the rear view mirror), which is another reason the cargo area lights might not be on when desired. The blue Mustang logo glowing in the middle of the deactivated light is cute but turns off after only a few seconds and can be frustrating when you try to push it and realize it's not a button.

Delivery Experience

Having now taken retail delivery of EV's from several manufacturers, I can't help drawing some comparisons, perhaps a topic for another post. Here, I'll just say that Ford should encourage its dealers to move more of the paperwork online and avoid surprises or decisions at the time of delivery. When picking up the new car we've been excited about since making a reservation a year earlier, especially during a pandemic, that's not the time to sit us down for a sales pitch on road hazard protection and extended warranties. If you wanted to sell us those things, you had a year to do it, and you should have presented the options in advance, giving us time to consider and discuss them.

Not a Real Mustang

Could someone tell my insurance company this is a small electric SUV -- a family car, not a "real Mustang"? They are charging $2662 per year for collision insurance on this 2021 Mach-E. Compare that with the $579 they charge for my 2020 Bolt EV, or the $1227 for my 2018 Tesla Model 3. (Yes, we really like EV's around here.) When I questioned the high premium, they said it was because replacement parts are more expensive on the Mach-E, but I think the real reason is that they are pricing it like that other Mustang, the sports car.

But please, don't tell the insurance company this Mustang is actually faster than the other one, and even more fun to drive.

Make it so, Number One. Engage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
I really enjoyed your letter, it has many ideas that I have had so far.

To help you with PaaK, you need to leave the app running in the background for best result.
I wish, at the very least, there were some visual or audible indication when the key was recognized
There is a visual aid, the button will illuminate when PaaK successfully communicates with the car. Once illuminated, it opens on the first try.

Congratulations, and welcome to the Club!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great post thanks for taking the time to elaborate on all these things. This is my first car with any amount of technology so a big learning curve for me, coming from an '04 Crown Victoria. So I really appreciate your insight on how much better things could be. I just got my insurance and full coverage $500.00 deductible and $500,000 limit is $512.80 per year. interesting emergency road service is only $1.64 per year. I guess they figure Ford will be covering most of the road service calls. BTW I'm in Minnesota w/ State Farm . Anti-Theft Discount, Defensive Driver Course Discount, Multiple Car Discount, Auto Multiple Line Discount, Short Annual Mileage Discount, Vehicle Safety Discount, Accident Free Discount the discounts add up to $800.00 per year.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank you for the great review! For the frunk I feel the same way. I was just as the dealership and the saleswoman and I didn’t know how to open the frunk. She pulled the lever and I tried finding the lever inside the frunk like a normal hood. There wasn’t one. It took us a couple minutes to find out that you must pull the lever twice to fully open the frunk. Weird. Once opened, it took 3 attempts to close it. I just bought the vehicle, and I didn’t want to slam it. I tried closing it, failed, she pulled the handle to reopen, tried slamming harder, failed, pulled handle to reopen. Last try she was like “really slam it down” and I said I didn’t want to damage my new car. HA. I slammed it really hard, and it finally closed. I felt like that was an unnecessary design.

I completely agree with your Delivery Experience paragraph. I am severely unhappy with my experience so far. You can read it under the title, “Mach-E In Stock! Ready to Buy, Final Numbers, Ford Options”.

My insurance went up $100 per year, my previous truck was the F-150, I’m 28 with no accidents, I’m happy with my insurance costs (Progressive Insurance). You might have to shop around.

·
Registered
MME Premium, AWD, XR, Inf Blue Metallic
102 Posts
Let me add my own limited $0.02.

1. The automatic lift gate should be disabled upon delivery of the vehicle and enabled by the driver. I found out a little too late when I popped the lift gate inside my garage only to find that I was fighting the motor to keep the lift gate from hitting the garage door overhead support rails. There is an option in the screen menus to disable the lift gate motor which I found out about later.

2. The sensors built into the vehicle should have a home / away setting so that if I am at home and approach the vehicle with my key fob the lights remain off but if I am away from home in a parking lot and approach the vehicle with my key fob the lights turn on.

3. I don't like the preprogrammed sound that is provided for "Unbridled" mode and wished there was some way to upload an AIFF file to replace it.

4. Add a factory option for the black trim pieces to be of the same color as the vehicle itself. I will never own a car with a black paint job because it only looks great the day you wash it. Even a light dust build up on the trim pieces makes me want to wash the vehicle down.

5. I really love the panoramic sun roof (especially with the space grey interior). Icing on the cake would be electrochromic glass for the sun roof that allows you to modulate between fully tinted black and clear. I have seen that type of glass used for privacy offices but never in a vehicle.

6. Add a DC receptacle inside the front trunk area please. And I say this because of the following:
Eventually all electric vehicles will be required to generate some external audible noise. I don't know whether existing vehicles will have to be retrofitted or not but it makes sense to have an outlet in the front truck for some type of noise making device to be plugged into.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
Let me add my own limited $0.02.

1. The automatic lift gate should be disabled upon delivery of the vehicle and enabled by the driver. I found out a little too late when I popped the lift gate inside my garage only to find that I was fighting the motor to keep the lift gate from hitting the garage door overhead support rails. There is an option in the screen menus to disable the lift gate motor which I found out about later.

2. The sensors built into the vehicle should have a home / away setting so that if I am at home and approach the vehicle with my key fob the lights remain off but if I am away from home in a parking lot and approach the vehicle with my key fob the lights turn on.

3. I don't like the preprogrammed sound that is provided for "Unbridled" mode and wished there was some way to upload an AIFF file to replace it.

4. Add a factory option for the black trim pieces to be of the same color as the vehicle itself. I will never own a car with a black paint job because it only looks great the day you wash it. Even a light dust build up on the trim pieces makes me want to wash the vehicle down.

5. I really love the panoramic sun roof (especially with the space grey interior). Icing on the cake would be electrochromic glass for the sun roof that allows you to modulate between fully tinted black and clear. I have seen that type of glass used for privacy offices but never in a vehicle.

6. Add a DC receptacle inside the front trunk area please. And I say this because of the following:
Eventually all electric vehicles will be required to generate some external audible noise. I don't know whether existing vehicles will have to be retrofitted or not but it makes sense to have an outlet in the front truck for some type of noise making device to be plugged into.
Good ideas.

For #6, the Mach-E already generates the required sound under 28mph, but only when in gear. It even adds a backup chime.

·
Registered
2021 MME, FE, 4X, Carbonized Gray Matallic
271 Posts
The way I show affection is by finding fault -- can't help it, I'm an engineer, constantly striving for optimization. In that spirit, I'd like to show some love for the latest Mustang. The Mach-E is a fantastic vehicle, better than the BEV's I've had from Nissan, Mercedes-Benz, Chevrolet, and even Tesla. However, there is always room for improvement. Let's dive right in.

Trouble Reporting

Our brand new Mach-E with only 200 miles on it refused to accelerate. Pressing the "gas" pedal had no effect. A message appeared on the display, and FordPass popped up a notification on my wife's phone as well as mine: "A Powertrain or AWD/4WD fault has been detected, contact your authorized Ford dealer as soon as possible." Clearly, the car had already sent the trouble code to Ford over the Internet, so why not include that code in our FordPass notification message? Or, if Ford really wanted to force us to turn to the dealership for service, why not at least provide the dealer with a way to access the code remotely, without having to physically plug into the vehicle?

View attachment 4947

It was a Saturday, and nobody on duty at the dealer knew what to do. They offered to come pick up the car, or tow it if necessary, but said they would have to park it until their service department opened on Monday morning. By the time they offered, the car had mysteriously fixed itself and was running just fine. I made an appointment and drove it to the dealer a few days later, where they hooked up a scanner to read out that OBD code (which both I and they had been wanting, and Ford already had but wouldn't tell us): P061A. Hmm, torque sensor malfunction? OK, well, let's see if it happens again. If so, they'll need the car for at least a day so they can consult with Ford and figure out what to reprogram or replace. Gee, I wish they could have told me that over the phone, saving me the trip and saving Ford half an hour of labor on the warranty claim. (400 miles later, it hasn't recurred.)

Phone As A Key

This works SO much better than GM's KeyPass ever did, but not as well as Tesla. When I walk up to the Tesla Model 3 with my Android phone in my pocket, I can get in and drive. There's never any muss or fuss; it just works. With the MME, things aren't as smooth. I might walk up to the locked door and try to open it, but only by the 3rd or 4th time I press the button does the car recognize my phone and open the door. Once I sit down in the driver's seat, it's the same thing: I sometimes have to press the button 4 times with "No key detected", and possibly even launch the FordPass app on my phone, before the car will start.

I wish, at the very least, there were some visual or audible indication when the key was recognized, so I wouldn't have to feel like an idiot, pushing the Start button over and over, wondering if it will work this time. Better yet, if a valid key was just seen 10 seconds ago to unlock and open the door, go ahead and activate the Start button without revalidating that the key is now inside the vehicle.

Meanwhile, when walking around my yard and driveway with no intention of driving, the MME is always going click-click-CLACK, click-click-CLACK, cycling its relays and turning on its lights, even if the doors are already unlocked, to let me know it recognized my phone as a key. Why is the car so proactive about recognizing my phone from 50 feet away, while if I get in and try to drive, it says "No key detected"? Also, the little puddle light projectors in the mirrors that put a Mustang logo on the pavement are a great touch; they should illuminate in that situation (like the rest of the lights do) even if the doors are unlocked.

Hello Ford, could we please have some insight into energy flow, both during charging and driving? My Bolt EV displays the instantaneous kW of charge or discharge. My Tesla has a charging screen that shows State Of Charge, volts and amps, miles gained per minute of charge, target charge level, and projected completion. What does the MME show on the internal displays while charging? Nothing! Some of that information is available in the FordPass app, but why make me pull out my phone? Just display charging information on the screen (perhaps blank it after a period of inactivity, but turn it back on if someone so much as tries to open a door). When driving, give me some feedback about energy usage. How am I doing on efficiency? How much power is being used for climate control? Is there reduced power or capacity due to battery temperature or level? EV drivers want to know these things, and your displays are lacking.

View attachment 4946

Speaking of charging, I wish it were easier to set a charge limit. I usually only want to charge to 90%, for the sake of battery longevity. The only way to accomplish that is to set up a specific location, which is fine but buried in menus, and then associate the limit with that location. With the limit set, I began to get warnings that the car would "charge outside preferred charge time" even though I hadn't set any preferred times. My MB would always charge to 90% unless you pressed the "range boost" button on the dashboard, a refreshing example of simplicity. Also, there should be a way to limit the rate of charge. Maybe I only want to charge at 24A instead of 30A using the Ford Mobile Charger, for the sake of the wiring in my older home.

System Updates

How can I tell what version of the system software the vehicle is running? Under System Updates -> Settings -> Update Details, the help text says, "Displays information about the most recent system update." That sounds good, but all it actually displays is, "Your system is up-to-date." Come on, Ford, that's not very helpful. How about a version number or release date? How about the date on which this vehicle was most recently updated?

View attachment 4939 View attachment 4941

For that matter, how about offering the update to the owner via the app, like Tesla does? "A new update is available for your vehicle; tap to proceed" and later "The new update has been installed; tap for feature description" would be appreciated. I guess it's a nice thought that the in-vehicle screen has an option to submit feedback to Ford, but it doesn't actually let you type in or voice-record any such feedback -- just sends in a copy of your system configuration and the fact that you had some feedback in the "Other" category.

View attachment 4942

FordPass App

Ford's mobile app is better than GM's, but not as good as Tesla's. I won't go on here about all the glitches and bugs in FordPass, but the central purpose of the app is to make you feel connected to your car. Even when working perfectly, FordPass often displays the location and charge level "Updated 9 hours ago" or the last time the car was driven. I guess Ford wants to optimize mobile data usage and not bother having the car send updates when it has nothing interesting to report.

View attachment 4945

By contrast, Tesla will establish a connection to the car whenever you open the app, which provides a much more "connected" user experience. Tesla shows you which doors are open, the instantaneous interior temperature, and whether the car is driving, parked, or in reverse. You can see which heated seats are on and even use the app to turn individual seats on or off (useful if you happen to be sitting in the back or talking by phone with someone in the car). Tesla shows you where the car is in real time, and how fast it's going, against your choice of a satellite image or a road map. Ford shows only one snapshot of the vehicle's recent location, with no speed information and no satellite image option. Come on, Ford, make me feel connected!

Driver Assistance

The Automatic Emergency Braking can be a bit aggressive, even on Low sensitivity, when pulling into a parking space. With the driver's foot on the brake and plenty of time to stop, there's really no need to slam on the brakes automatically. In reverse, backing into a gap in traffic on a busy road, Reverse Brake Assist gets spooked by approaching traffic and slams on the brakes. That part, I suppose, is working as intended, but once it stops the vehicle, and the driver again presses on the accelerator, it should go! As it is, the car just sits there, pulled out halfway into traffic, refusing to move and forcing the approaching traffic to stop.

View attachment 4943

Last week, I turned on all the Driver Assistance features, including one called Curve Alert. Now the car comes up with frequent and annoying "Curve ahead" warnings, but I can't figure out how to turn them off. Maybe there was a recent over-the-air automatic update that eliminated that menu option, but I can't figure out how to tell whether an update was installed. At the very least, when a warning like "Curve ahead" is displayed on the screen, and the passenger seat is occupied, there should be a way for the passenger to tap on the alert and go straight to the submenu where it can be controlled. For that matter, whenever the passenger seat is occupied, the system should be less aggressive about disabling infotainment features for fear of distracting the driver. The Driver Assistance features are themselves rather distracting, and making me work so hard to figure out how to configure them is a worse threat to safety than just giving me or my passenger a quick two-tap way to turn some of them off.

Adaptive Cruise Control works very well, slowing down to match the speed of a vehicle in front of you. It even has a visual indicator of following distance, but that's turned off by default. When you turn it on, the indicator is only in graphical form, a shaded blue/gray area in front of the vehicle on the display. I wish it displayed the following distance in seconds, like the Chevy Bolt EV does. I've found that especially handy while helping my teenage sons learn to drive: follow at least 1 second behind the next vehicle on dry pavement, 2 seconds in rain, 3 seconds in snow.

Profiles and Settings

Which of the many configuration settings are associated with an individual profile, and which take effect vehicle-wide regardless of profile? I can never quite tell. There should be some indication (such an asterisk, boldface or italic print, a different color, or separate sub-menus) that a particular setting is associated with a driver profile. Also, when I reset the settings (which frequently happens accidentally when I try to scroll past the bottom of the settings page), am I resetting them vehicle-wide or only within the current profile? Either way, I wish it asked for confirmation or were harder to trigger a reset.

By trial and error, it seems that language is a profile-specific setting. When I set one driver to use Spanish and another English, that switches as expected. What about the 24-hour clock? When I set one to use that and one not, and then switch profiles, the clock flashes back and forth a couple times as if it's trying to change, but then stubbornly returns to the previous setting. Is the bug that it doesn't fully change, or is the bug that it even tries -- in other words, is 24-hour clock a profile-specific setting or a vehicle-wide setting?

Navigation

Having both the built-in navigation option and Android Auto (including wireless!) is fantastic, but there are a few hiccups. Voice recognition for destination addresses isn't nearly as good with the Ford system as with Google Maps. The downside of Google Maps is that the system sometimes hangs, leaving you in a limbo state where you can't select a new destination but also can't just grab your phone and use Google Maps the old fashioned way, since local phone access to Google Maps is locked out when Android Auto is active.

When my wife and I are both in the car, switching Android Auto from one phone to the other via the MME's menu option never seems to work; we have to first disable it on the active phone. Once Android Auto navigation is active, the voice prompts are too loud. We can turn the volume down to 3 or 4, where we want it, but every time there is a new directional prompt, it automatically gets raised to 6.

Funky Frunk

Much as I appreciate having a frunk, it's difficult to open (pull the lever twice and no remote open), difficult to close (I often have to re-open it and then slam it to get it all the way latched), and even difficult to use. The built-in divider is sometimes handy, but when you want to remove it, that process is cumbersome and requires tools. That divider should snap in and out quickly with no tools.

Rear Cargo Lights

Unloading luggage or groceries from the rear cargo area often takes multiple trips, leaving the lift gate open for some time. At night, the cargo and dome lights go off after 10 minutes, and there is no button back there to reactivate them. Perhaps the timeout should be longer (LED's don't take much power), and when the rear bumper sensors detect motion, the lights should reilluminate. Also, the screen in front of the steering wheel should display a reminder when the interior dome lights are suppressed (by that button on the roof behind the rear view mirror), which is another reason the cargo area lights might not be on when desired. The blue Mustang logo glowing in the middle of the deactivated light is cute but turns off after only a few seconds and can be frustrating when you try to push it and realize it's not a button.

Delivery Experience

Having now taken retail delivery of EV's from several manufacturers, I can't help drawing some comparisons, perhaps a topic for another post. Here, I'll just say that Ford should encourage its dealers to move more of the paperwork online and avoid surprises or decisions at the time of delivery. When picking up the new car we've been excited about since making a reservation a year earlier, especially during a pandemic, that's not the time to sit us down for a sales pitch on road hazard protection and extended warranties. If you wanted to sell us those things, you had a year to do it, and you should have presented the options in advance, giving us time to consider and discuss them.

View attachment 4938

Not a Real Mustang

Could someone tell my insurance company this is a small electric SUV -- a family car, not a "real Mustang"? They are charging $2662 per year for collision insurance on this 2021 Mach-E. Compare that with the $579 they charge for my 2020 Bolt EV, or the $1227 for my 2018 Tesla Model 3. (Yes, we really like EV's around here.) When I questioned the high premium, they said it was because replacement parts are more expensive on the Mach-E, but I think the real reason is that they are pricing it like that other Mustang, the sports car.

But please, don't tell the insurance company this Mustang is actually faster than the other one, and even more fun to drive.

View attachment 4944
Aloha, great post! What are your thoughts on Synch 4? Do you think that Ford is actually monitoring this forum?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for a great review. I found your insurance premium unusually high. When my MME arrives next week, the annual premium for it with $500,000 liability, $500 deductible collision, U/M, etc. will be $1,175 with USAA. This is an increase of ~ $200 over the 2013 Focus Electric it's replacing. We also have a Hyundai Elantra on the policy, with discounts for the 2nd vehicle, as well as our homeowner's and other policy discounts.

I drive ~ 5000 miles/year, work from home, no accidents, no tickets, etc. and am in coastal Orange County, CA.

·
Registered
2021 FE Carbonized Gray
62 Posts

Trouble Reporting

View attachment 4947

Phone As A Key

View attachment 4946

System Updates

View attachment 4942

FordPass App

View attachment 4945

Driver Assistance

View attachment 4943

Profiles and Settings

Navigation

Funky Frunk

Rear Cargo Lights

Delivery Experience

View attachment 4938

Not a Real Mustang

View attachment 4944
Agree with 99% especial "Charging and Energy Management " and something wrong with your insurance. My insruance went up $40 a year more than an 2018 optima phev

·
Registered
MME Premium, AWD, XR, Inf Blue Metallic
102 Posts
Good ideas.

For #6, the Mach-E already generates the required sound under 28mph, but only when in gear. It even adds a backup chime.
Still, it would be nice to have an outlet built into the front trunk for tailgating, roadside emergencies, etc.

One other thing....

The rotary gear shift looks like something that was pulled off a cooktop stove:

Whirlpool Range Knob. Mustang Mach E Gear Shifter

Not a big fan.
Honda included a pushbutton shifter in some of their Accords and Passports with mixed results.
I have never driven a vehicle with paddle shifters on the steering column, but I think those would provide a more refined cabin.

At the very least, Ford could have incorporated the Mustang logo into the rotary shifter design.
A couple of small mustang logos underneath the (P)ark and (D)rive positions on the shifter would have been a nice touch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I think I will follow up with my insurance company, or perhaps find another. Thanks for the other data points on your premiums!

I don't expect that Ford actively monitors this club discussion board as part of anyone's job duties, but I would bet that some of their engineers are passionate enough to check out what customers are saying about their recently-released product. The Mach-E is the type of vehicle that attracts particularly dedicated and innovative developers who enjoy competing with the best the industry has to offer and like to come out on top. I've never worked at Ford Motor Co. myself but during my career have had the opportunity to interact with them as a supplier and partner, and I've been impressed.

One of the great things about the Mach-E is that it's likely to get better over time, through software updates. Most of the minor gripes in my "open letter" are things that could be addressed that way. GM doesn't really "get it". If they develop a new feature for my Chevy Bolt, I won't benefit until I get a new Bolt (with a later model year). Tesla does get it. My Tesla Model 3 keeps getting better, with new software updates every few weeks. We haven't yet had the Mach-E long enough to know, but I hope it gets even better also, without having to buy a new one.

- M

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah, I think I will follow up with my insurance company, or perhaps find another. Thanks for the other data points on your premiums!

I don't expect that Ford actively monitors this club discussion board as part of anyone's job duties, but I would bet that some of their engineers are passionate enough to check out what customers are saying about their recently-released product. The Mach-E is the type of vehicle that attracts particularly dedicated and innovative developers who enjoy competing with the best the industry has to offer and like to come out on top. I've never worked at Ford Motor Co. myself but during my career have had the opportunity to interact with them as a supplier and partner, and I've been impressed.

One of the great things about the Mach-E is that it's likely to get better over time, through software updates. Most of the minor gripes in my "open letter" are things that could be addressed that way. GM doesn't really "get it". If they develop a new feature for my Chevy Bolt, I won't benefit until I get a new Bolt (with a later model year). Tesla does get it. My Tesla Model 3 keeps getting better, with new software updates every few weeks. We haven't yet had the Mach-E long enough to know, but I hope it gets even better also, without having to buy a new one.

- M
Your statement "If they develop a new feature for my Chevy Bolt, I won't benefit until I get a new Bolt (with a later model year). Tesla does get it." is SPOT ON. One company wants to keep you happy in your current vehicle and one company wants to profit off you by getting you to upgrade. I strongly believe the Mach-E will be like Tesla because of all the available features and having the ability to do OTA updates. Also we have the newest Sync system so there are a great amount of capabilities that are currently "locked" by Ford. Once Ford receives enough data to show that the Sync 4 system is handling its tasks well, they'll start unlocking more features. An example is being able to stream what you have on your phone to Sync 4; watching youtube, movies, etc.

·
Registered
Mach-E Premium, 2020 Bolt
9 Posts

View attachment 4946
Thank you!! We took delivery a few days ago and were trying to find this "display" That it's "not a thing" has us a bit puzzled as well. Our Chevy Bolt is far better on drivers wheel display at this point, and we might have been hoping for even a better set of customizable options with a newer vehicle. Thank you for including this in your points.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you!! We took delivery a few days ago and were trying to find this "display" That it's "not a thing" has us a bit puzzled as well. Our Chevy Bolt is far better on drivers wheel display at this point, and we might have been hoping for even a better set of customizable options with a newer vehicle. Thank you for including this in your points.
Another user on this forum posted a photo of the Mach-E screen displaying energy usage information at the end of a trip, but I have yet to see that screen myself. Anyone know how to get there?

I do see the "Driving Insights" display in the "My Journeys" section of the FordPass app. That's where it fusses at me for each point in the trip where I used "Rapid Acceleration" or "Harsh Cornering", and praises me for driving like Grandma. Thanks, Ford. I definitely didn't buy a fancy electric sports car because I valued acceleration or cornering. I just want to learn to drive my Mustang as if I were a chauffer trying not to spill anyone's drink, and your app is so helpful.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
Another user on this forum posted a photo of the Mach-E screen displaying energy usage information at the end of a trip, but I have yet to see that screen myself. Anyone know how to get there?

I do see the "Driving Insights" display in the "My Journeys" section of the FordPass app. That's where it fusses at me for each point in the trip where I used "Rapid Acceleration" or "Harsh Cornering", and praises me for driving like Grandma. Thanks, Ford. I definitely didn't buy a fancy electric sports car because I valued acceleration or cornering. I just want to learn to drive my Mustang as if I were a chauffer trying not to spill anyone's drink, and your app is so helpful.
Lol. the My Journeys thing is what’s also used for the insurance discount review, should you choose to opt-in. Of course the insurance companies want you to drive like grandma. I shut my journeys off.

The only screen I know with energy consumption data is from the big screen. It is under apps (icon in the top middle, that has tour profile pick, there is a trips icon here. The screen looks like this:

·
Registered
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
165 Posts

Trouble Reporting

View attachment 4947

Phone As A Key

View attachment 4946

System Updates

View attachment 4942

FordPass App

View attachment 4945

Driver Assistance

View attachment 4943

Profiles and Settings

Navigation

Funky Frunk

Rear Cargo Lights

Delivery Experience

View attachment 4938

Not a Real Mustang

View attachment 4944
I can not find a way to turn off curve ahead notification. I am sure there was a menu when I turned on the notification and now I can not find it to turn it off. It is so annoying. More distracting then the curves. I am also a Chevy Bolt owner and am looking forward to real time Kwh usage, along with charging information. Ford just needs to copy the Bolt or Tesla and give us early EV adopters more data.

Here is my MME FE.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Mach-e Premium AWD Extended Battery Iconic Silver Black interior
1 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, suggestions and sharing in a post. Since my MachE is my first EV, I appreciate your comparisons with other vehicles. The struggles with the Ford Pass app are frustrating, its the one thing I emphasized when providing new owner feedback to JDPower. I am optimistic that the OTA updates will conintue to improve what is already a great and fun car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with all of your points. On the PAAK I found that part of the issue was that with it you end up with two separate Bluetooth connections to your phone, so they tend to fight I was able to see both going on and off, the result was that the apple carplay would not work wirelessly most of the time. I deleted the numbered Bluetooth connection, so carplay works and PAAK does not but I still retain door entrance via code and code to start the car.
I would also like them to revise the charging curve, we only get top charging for like 4 minutes then it drops to between 74 and 100 Kw/hr. It should be based on temps of the battery or SOC, not just on time. Same with the 80%, they should monitor temps and let us charge higher for a bit more.
Infotainment system, it is sluggish, especially on startup, it can take up to a minute before most things actually come to life. This is sync 4, and is in most Ford cars, so why is it sooo sluggish? It is the heart of this car.
12v Battery, To get ot it in an emergency charge situation you have to remove a giant plastic panel, where many tabs will break, so make a smaller door, or put a remote jump connectors

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
I agree with all of your points. On the PAAK I found that part of the issue was that with it you end up with two separate Bluetooth connections to your phone, so they tend to fight I was able to see both going on and off, the result was that the apple carplay would not work wirelessly most of the time. I deleted the numbered Bluetooth connection, so carplay works and PAAK does not but I still retain door entrance via code and code to start the car.
I would also like them to revise the charging curve, we only get top charging for like 4 minutes then it drops to between 74 and 100 Kw/hr. It should be based on temps of the battery or SOC, not just on time. Same with the 80%, they should monitor temps and let us charge higher for a bit more.
Infotainment system, it is sluggish, especially on startup, it can take up to a minute before most things actually come to life. This is sync 4, and is in most Ford cars, so why is it sooo sluggish? It is the heart of this car.
12v Battery, To get ot it in an emergency charge situation you have to remove a giant plastic panel, where many tabs will break, so make a smaller door, or put a remote jump connectors
If your info system is sluggish, you may need the software refresh. Contact your dealer to see if the ‘calibration fix’ is applicable to your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts