Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I've been wondering if the AWD will come with a option to switch off the front motor of the AWD or an drive mode that doesn't use the front motor to increase the range when AWD isn't necessary? What do you guys think about that? Maybe this will also be possible with an software update. I've read that e.g. AUDI has such an option on the e tron.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What's interesting is that dual motor Teslas are actually more efficient using both motors, resulting in extended range. I'm unsure why that is true. If it would increase efficiency to disconnect the front motor, I am sure Ford will include a setting, but using both motors may be more efficient.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey folks,

I've been wondering if the AWD will come with a option to switch off the front motor of the AWD or an drive mode that doesn't use the front motor to increase the range when AWD isn't necessary? What do you guys think about that? Maybe this will also be possible with an software update. I've read that e.g. AUDI has such an option on the e tron.
Is this really possible if the motor is integrated in the axes?
There is not such a thing as a clutch or gearbox.
Is a motor or a generator. How would you switch it off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey folks,

Is this really possible if the motor is integrated in the axes?
There is not such a thing as a clutch or gearbox.
Is a motor or a generator. How would you switch it off?

·
Registered
357 Posts
You won't be able to disable the front motor on the AWD model. People from Ford have answered this question in YouTube videos. Unfortunately I don't have the specific links, but you can check for videos that include Darren Palmer, Ron Heiser, Dave Pericak, and Jason Castriota.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I understood that the motors are of permanent magnet type. When you switch (ie don’t supply power) them off they generate electricity and actualy slow down the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,181 Posts
So, the rear engine would be fighting the regen resistance of the front motor, in addition to carrying the dead-weight of the front motor.

Completely opposite from an ICE 4WD where the engine works harder to drive all 4 wheels, and disengaging one axle puts less strain on the ICE.

Traditional AWD systems can’t fully disengage an axle, but are designed for one axle to get most of the engine power under normal driving conditions. I guess the same is true here?

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, the rear engine would be fighting the regen resistance of the front motor, in addition to carrying the dead-weight of the front motor.

Completely opposite from an ICE 4WD where the engine works harder to drive all 4 wheels, and disengaging one axle puts less strain on the ICE.

Traditional AWD systems can’t fully disengage an axle, but are designed for one axle to get most of the engine power under normal driving conditions. I guess the same is true here?
i’am not an expert but in my opinion just a little electricity is supplied to the motor to prevent regen.

when my PHEV is in regen-mode 0 and the car is driving 130 kmh it slows down when i take my foot off the gas-pedal. When driving at 80 kmh and doing the same it doesn’t slow down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts