Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this update over the weekend. I now have the new charging curve.

I also think I now have access to the additional 3kWh of battery. Only way to test this is to run the battery down as close to empty, and then doing a full charge.

I have a Job1 2021 MMe4X premium, other early adopters also get this update recently? I think later builds may have already received this update months ago.

· Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couldn't you just compare the range you had at 100% charge before and after the update? Did it go up by ~9 miles?
Not really, range varies by temperature and driving. The max I’ve gotten is 354 miles, the lowest 260 (EPA is 270).
It will take me about a week to run it down.

· Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just received this OTA. Nothing I’ve read indicates freeing up battery buffer.
I know freeing up the buffer was something that is going to happen, but I don’t know if its included in this update or not.

I wish the OTA notes were more descriptive. Only clue we are given is this update is fast-charging related. I’ve tested the DC charging, and I have the new curve now. There were two other OTA updates since I last tested DC charging. one I know was for map updates (expiry date change). Another with the generic ‘fixes here and there’ message (i have no clue). So I assume this one changed the curve for me.

· Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
490 Posts
I know freeing up the buffer was something that is going to happen, but I don’t know if its included in this update or not.

I wish the OTA notes were more descriptive. Only clue we are given is this update is fast-charging related. I’ve tested the DC charging, and I have the new curve now. There were two other OTA updates since I last tested DC charging. one I know was for map updates (expiry date change). Another with the generic ‘fixes here and there’ message (i have no clue). So I assume this one changed the curve for me.
The charge curve improvement for me was implemented during OTA 2.7.2. I'm assuming this update fine tuned charging compatibility issues.

· Registered
15 Posts
I received this update over the weekend. I now have the new charging curve.

I also think I now have access to the additional 3kWh of battery. Only way to test this is to run the battery down as close to empty, and then doing a full charge.

I have a Job1 2021 MMe4X premium, other early adopters also get this update recently? I think later builds may have already received this update months ago.
View attachment 8590
Isn’t this to just slow down DC fast-charging to protect that recalled battery connector that can overheat? We never fast charge anyhow though.

· Registered
627 Posts
Got the DC-Fast Charge OTA above on 9-29. Went to EA to check out the charge curve and plug and charge failed with multiple attempts even though it worked fine 5 previous session before. Went home without a charge. Today, 9-30, I went to the same EA location to charge. Plug and charge worked on the first attempt. I recorded a few data points: 50% SOC, 78 kw/hr; 77%, 59; 80 to 90%, steady at 36 kw. So the rate from 80 to 90% definitely improved, but previous charging sessions started more in the 90-100 range.

Some theories as to why the P&C didn't work at first:
1). Glitch on Ford's end.
2). My default credit card for the Blue Oval network had an expired date (even though I was still using the free kwh balance?).
3). On any glitch after an OTA wait 24 hrs and it magically disappears.

Side note: A customer charging his ID.4 for the first time could not disconnect the hose on his stopped charge session with his disconnect button and was seeking help. I suggested he consult the charge menu on his screen…no help. While he was franticly paging through his paper manual I suggested he call EA help as I imagine they have heard pretty much every scenario. Yep, they told him to hit the door unlock button on his FOB 3 times. Worked like a charm!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts